• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair MEC endorses contract changes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Management will always be management and you come to expect their behavior. I blame ALPA.

Our union was complicit with management in crafting the "permitted aircraft" provision with no restrictions in Delta's scope clause literally driving flying off the property.

The alter ego Republic was created while the Chautauqua pilots were negotiating to get around the US Airway's scope clause. Freedom was created as Mesa's alter ego to get around the US Airway's and America West's scope clause-enter the race to the bottom. A rising tide lifts all boats and ALPA turns a blind eye to "regional" alter egos at their peril.

Our union refused to let our MEC bargain with the entity that controls the flying, Delta Air Lines, for a meaningful scope clause.

Our union scoffed at the idea of unity at the PID and gave us brand scope instead. Lame. Ineffective. Deceitful. Designed to give mainline MECs the control to subordinate the brand partners MECs. If brand scope gets put in place, we'll have to negotiate with management and the Delta MEC-neither of which is on our side.

I'm not sure how long the Comair pilots can continue to hold up the bar alone while fighting management and their union.

If this isn't a gut wrenching vote for every Comair pilot, they're simply not paying attention.

www.rjdefense.com

Last edited:
I'd like to apologize, as an OH pilot... for Afellowaviator. I thought he/she was going to stop posting a while ago and low and behold....that didn't happen.

CHQ guys did what they had to do and they got a better contract for CHQ. They were negotiating for CHQ, not the rest of the industry! Each airlines financial bottom line is different and thus not every airline will be able to "raise the bar" for the rest of the industry (although I think CHQ was in the best position to do this). They'll be able to raise their own bar which is the very least we can hope for at this time. They're not evil people, they did what they had to do and improved their contract. Sure, it might not be as good as ours (but it's not that much worse!) but that was pre 9/11!!!!! Give it a rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times have changed, economics have changed, management strategies have changed. ALPA hasn't.

I'm getting really tired of reading the same thing about CHQ, Skywest, Mesaba, etc. I'm sure they wanted to "raise this stupid bar everyone keeps harping about". But those days are long gone (temporarily, I hope)!!!

OO flying 70's for 50 seat rates is the only thing I can say that is annoying (besides all this bickering about how the other pilots uncercut the "profession"!). This is the tipping point (along with JetBlue's EMB rates) that could possibly harm EVERYONE from "raising the bar or their own bar".

Last edited:
Most of you guys paid for your training to get hired there in the first place. What's next? I know... Hey Fred, why don't you charge your pilots to park at the airport. Tell'em they will be flying "BIG" airplanes sooner than ASA.

Do you guys really think that 40k per year for a 5th year FO is pulling the company under? Come on...
Your pride is a stake here folks. You are headed in the direction of being the next MESA piot group.

Could you imagine the backlash should they accept this offer..

For years they have fussed and screamed about everyone else lowering the bar, and here they go and do it themselves essentially giving up part of what they struck over three years ago.

No, I have more faith that they will be smart and vote it down.

embraerjetpilot said:
Could you imagine the backlash should they accept this offer..

For years they have fussed and screamed about everyone else lowering the bar, and here they go and do it themselves essentially giving up part of what they struck over three years ago.

No, I have more faith that they will be smart and vote it down.

What is your pay going to be at CHQ for a 70 seat jet in july 2007 for say
a 4 year fo
5 year captain
10 year captain
18 year captain?

Let's actually compare some numbers. I'm curious.

Just based on the proposal and what I have heard so far without details here are the comair numbers (provided your longevity is frozen and does NOT accrue during the freeze:

4 year FO 45.58/hr, 2%pension, 401k 50% of first 5%contribution
5 year captain 78.32/hr 4% pension, 401k 50% of first 5%contribution
10 year captain 92.86/hr 6% pension, 401k 50% of first 5%contribution
18 year captain 118.22/hr 8% pension, 401k 50% of first 5%contribution

100% deadhead pay, 100% pay protection for all displacements, Trip, duty, day, rigs, commuter clause. CVG hotels for highspeed lineholders, min line value 82 hrs max 93, 1.5 compensation for open time.

Don't get me wrong, this ain't great, and heck yes we are undercompensated, but these rates you see above including the freeze put Comair in a position to compete especially in a competitive environment after a divestiture and not just bleed away slowly while others thrive on lower labor costs. There are two things I think that the comair pilot group would even consider negotiating down, brand scope and if the long term health of the company was in jeapordy. You either win or lose, I spoke with a former piedmont guy this past week, he had some enlightening things to say. Ask them what has been going on over there.
If my calculations are correct the new rates in '07 will be right on or probably above par for the industry. This is not whoring, it is just bringing the bar a little closer to the rest of the pack without going under it. Maybe by '07 somebody can beat it. Otherwise, we will have to give back again or simply go away. Corporations make money for shareholders or they don't, if they don't entities are eliminated.

Last edited:
Old Crow said:
Most of you guys paid for your training to get hired there in the first place. What's next? I know... Hey Fred, why don't you charge your pilots to park at the airport. Tell'em they will be flying "BIG" airplanes sooner than ASA.

Do you guys really think that 40k per year for a 5th year FO is pulling the company under? Come on...
Your pride is a stake here folks. You are headed in the direction of being the next MESA piot group.

Mmmmm...

I believe since PFT ended 10/99 (if memory serves me correctly) and many of the senior pilots did not PFT (though I don't know when PFT began), it's safe to say "most of you guys" is not correct.

Comair being the next Mesa? Hardly! We are not "lowering the bar", we are merely "holding the line" with a freeze (though the details have yet to be published) to allow those that did lower the bar to catch up. It's a delay tactic.

But you know, if this thing passes and our contract is up in 2007, perhaps it is time for the bashing to end (and I know, I'm guilty of that) and we work together to raise all contracts cause if I'm not mistaken, the CHQ and Mesa contracts should be up by then as well. Is that correct? 2007 for CHQ and Mesa????

--Sky

Last edited:
I would say maybe 35% PFT at Comair. I have over 1000 pilots jr to me and I didn't PFT. Plus, probably the top 350 or so didn't. I'm not sure of the start date of PFT, but 35% might even be too high.

If you have no facts, don't post.

The point is not how many of Comair's pilots participated in PFT. The point is who of Comair's pilots participated in PFT?

The answer is that most of the junior to mid-seniority Captains were participants. The group that makes the most noise regarding raising the bar. The loudest voices wrote the biggest checks.

Lets assume your 35% number is correct. That is still 630 pilots. That is an awful lot for you to simply dismiss. Over 1/3rd of your peers who are now, interestingly, screaming about raising the bar spent $10,000 in order to purchase an artificially lower bar.

Rabble said:
Lets assume your 35% number is correct. That is still 630 pilots. That is an awful lot for you to simply dismiss. Over 1/3rd of your peers who are now, interestingly, screaming about raising the bar spent $10,000 in order to purchase an artificially lower bar.

But lost much much much more than that to go on strike to raise the bar. I'm willing to bet many lost more than $20,000 during the strike (and the ramp-up phase). Have any of you guys calculated an approximate lost in income during the strike?

--Sky

If this goes through, which because the MEC endorses it is almost a sure thing, means simply that the bar isn't being lowered, it is being held level for a couple years. As for those so eager to hyperventilate over this, will your contract pay rates exceed our during that span? DDpaysoff asks some good questions. There is your answer.

Latest resources

Back