Comair MEC burning bridges with Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Lee,
The thing I say you are afraid to do is answer my question. I've asked it several times, and for some reason, nobody will even try.

And you did not ALL give to our contingency fund. If that were true, the pages with Delta contributions would have filled a book of their own. The fact is that Delta's were only a few pages while the majority of the contributions came from UPS and American Airline's pilots.

skydiverdriver said:
In other words, the amount of pilots who helped us from other airlines (most notably non-ALPA) was much greater than the help we recieved from Delta pilots
Perhaps that's because we ALPA pilots were already giving in the form of assessments. Just because it is an involuntary donation doesn't mean that we would not have otherwise given to the fund.

That's some gratitude for ya'.

skydiverdriver said:

Now that I've answered your question, why don't you take a stab at mine.

OK, fair enough. The PID request was made before I was on the Delta senority list. (Were you on the Comair senority list then?) Given that fact, any answer I give really doesn't amount to anything substancial. A cop out? Maybe... but honestly, at this point in my life and career, I really don't give a darn about the politics that happend before I was employed. If you have any questions about the IACP durning that same time period, please feel free to ask because at the time that's where I was dedicating my energy to.

In other words, the amount of pilots who helped us from other airlines (most notably non-ALPA) was much greater than the help we recieved from Delta pilots.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I have no idea who gave what and whether some groups gave as an "airline" while others gave as individuals.... I do think, IMHO, that the costs of publishing and distributing the struck work guide alone was probably a pretty penny. Add in the trip loss costs to develop the struck work tracking software and manning the strike center during the strike and we're well into the 6 figure + range.

If other groups donated more, that was very honorable of them. However, to incinuate that Delta pilot should have done more, well, I disagree. I'm of the opinion that my pilot group went above and beyond what was called for and if that wasn't enough for you then oh well. I'm also of the opinion that the above mentioned work benifited your cause far more then any donations to your family fund no matter what the dollar amount.

So were you on the Comair senority list when the PID was filed?

----------------------------------------------------
100LL...again,

What else were we supposed to do? You're right, we weren't the only ones to contribute, but we did try to help. We advised management that we were not going to fly struck work, which was in a way telling them to settle. Management did not, and we eventually lost $250 million and the Comair pilots eventually came back. We could not do anything else because President Bush had already forbid us from striking on the earlier contract. So, we ALL gave money in hopes that Comair would prevail. Is that still Iffy? Now, in our time of need, Comair's MEC has stated that he will not allow our furloughed pilots to go to the bottom of their list while they are hiring 45-50 a month? Hmmmmm, Sounds iffy to me now. Comair is owned by Delta, and so is ASA. ASA is allowing our guys to join their list without giving up their senority rights. Why won't Comair? Still sound IFFY?
----------------------------------------------------

General Lee, You've done an excellent job of putting words in my mouth.

I did state which side, if any, I support.

ALL I SAID was that not flying struck work and paying the assessment are very weak arguments. Neither involve going beyond the call of duty. They ARE our MINIMUM duty as union pilots. If you guys supported in other ways, then point 'em out. But the two you mentioned don't pull much weight, IMO.

As far as the whole last part of your post, again, I did not comment on those issues and you do not really know what I think.

ASA is allowing our guys to join their list without giving up their senority rights. Why won't Comair? Still sound IFFY?

You guys have made a mountain out of a mole hill with this.

Only 13 delta pilots have come to ASA and most were previous ASA pilots. The door is closed and there will be no more.

All we did was take care of our own. Don't make it into some big symbolic gesture that its not.

Comair has every right to do hire who they want.

rjcap said:

All we did was take care of our own. Don't make it into some big symbolic gesture that its not.

Comair has every right to do hire who they want.

While I'm sure all the smugness and chest thumping that the Comair/ASA guys display (both here on on the ALPA boards) must make them feel really big right now, due to the current state of the industry......things will change. Always have, always will.

The shoe will once again be on the other foot. And I'm quite sure where the foot will be aimed. The target is hard to miss.

And DAL has every right NOT to hire who they want. It's too bad that a few loud-mouths who have an inflated impression of their own importance have ruined it for everyone.

Cane anyone tell me why COMAIR doesn't accept DAL pilots??
:rolleyes: :mad:

--------------------
Cessna 152: "Flight Level Three Thousand, Seven Hundred" ... Controller: "Roger, contact Houston Space Center. g'day!"

Because, flying dutchman, no airline wants a block of pilots who are guaranteed to not stay with the airline. That and the fact they're all going to leave at the same time when Delta recalls pilots, exactly when Comair is going to need more pilots. Comair pilots (at least those with foresight) don't want pilots below them who won't be there later (sudo-seniority). You have to remember that Delta pilots only believe what they hear from their own MEC through VARS etc. With that, Comair pilots only believe what they hear through their own VARS. Its all propoganda, and now you've got two sides who think they know the facts, when truth is its somewhere in between. Even the Iraqi people thought they won the Gulf War initially, because thats what Saddam told them, and thats all they heard. Be careful pointing fingers when all you hear is rumors and propoganda. Especially in this case where there was a meeting solely between CMR and DAL MEC's, propoganda is all you're going to hear. And when it comes to furloughing and job security, emotions get high, and the stories seem to grow. The only fact is that Comair Mgmt will not allow ANY pilot to be hired at Comair without resigning their previous seniority number. Anything beyond that is hear-say.

And DAL has every right NOT to hire who they want.

And so does Comair.

As far as the RJDC, all I have to say is this:
ALPA helped Comair pilots financially during the strike, at the same time they were negotiating scope agreements to limit Comair's flying. That is not fair representation to the Comair pilots, and that is why the RJDC exists. Comair pilots pay ALPA union dues for representation, not for a strike insurance policy. The RJDC is the RJ pilots way of defending themselves, not their way of wanting "Delta pilots to starve," as I've heard some Delta pilots put it. Once again emotions run high, and stories escalate, from both sides.

Comair

I was under the impression that if a Delta pilot interviewed and was offered employment at Comair he/she could take the job, but would be required to resign his/her seniority just like any other newhire.

From what I read on this board and others there are quite a few furloughed major airline pilots who chose to go to work for Comair. The only restriction was that they also made the choice to give up their recall rights to their prior employer.

We all make the decisions we make based on the information we have at the time. Hopefully we make the right choices. To many pilots -- including quite a few junior pilots, and furloughed pilots who were hired there -- Comair is a career choice, not a stepping stone. I dont blame Comair for trying to discourage people from using them as such.

Last edited:
Re: Comair

Otto_Pilot said:
To many pilots -- even some newhires -- Comair is a career choice, not a stepping stone.

And there are the few who, by their actions, seem intent on insuring that there will be no other choice.

Latest resources

Back