• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair MEC burning bridges with Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well spoken! Personally, I think they (Delta) should have to give up their seniority number. I just have a bad taste in my mouth having spent two years at eagle. Unfortunatly, part of that 16-year contract included flow-back rights for AA pilots in exchange for flow-up and preferential hiring for Eagle. I sat at the bottom of the list in SJU after two years and had AA furloughees junior to me sitting in the left seat of the CRJ-70 holding a AA seniority number. I would hate to see that happen at Comair, or anywhere else for that matter.

Unfortunatley for the few comair guys who would support Delta pilots at comair.............The Atlanta local 44 has introduced a resolution in which ASA would be given preferential hiring consideration when Delta hires again. They have also introduced one that would not include comair pilots in our hiring process.

The sad thing is there are only a handful of pilots who went to ASA, 13 is the last number I saw. I imagine only the same ammount would have gone to comair.

In the end the comair mec has gotten what they want. A group of pilots who may never be able to leave comair.

I hope things can change between our pilot groups, but for now there is strong support for the ATL 44 proposal.

sidseal said:
Well spoken! Personally, I think they (Delta) should have to give up their seniority number. I just have a bad taste in my mouth having spent two years at eagle. Unfortunatly, part of that 16-year contract included flow-back rights for AA pilots in exchange for flow-up and preferential hiring for Eagle. I sat at the bottom of the list in SJU after two years and had AA furloughees junior to me sitting in the left seat of the CRJ-70 holding a AA seniority number. I would hate to see that happen at Comair, or anywhere else for that matter.

Jealousy is a killer.

No one likes it when the flow through is going backwards. I am sure you would sing a different tune if AA were hiring......I know I know, you never wanted to go to AA. Yea sure, just like the comair guys who never wanted to go to a major. Well the good news for you is that most pilots don't make it. And when the hiring resumes those pilots who want to go to Delta will not have to compete with comair pilots.

NYRANGERS:

Excuse me for having an opinion. Never once did I bash you or anyone else on this thread. Also, I have NEVER wanted to fly for the majors. Believe it or not, that is not the ultimate goal of every pilot. So, please, spare me your lecture. I honestly wish you a speedy return to the cockpit. I'm just glad I'll never have to sit up there with you.

sidseal said:
NYRANGERS:

Excuse me for having an opinion. Never once did I bash you or anyone else on this thread. Also, I have NEVER wanted to fly for the majors. Believe it or not, that is not the ultimate goal of every pilot. So, please, spare me your lecture. I honestly wish you a speedy return to the cockpit. I'm just glad I'll never have to sit up there with you.

Actually I am a pretty likeable guy. You would never have to "sit up there" with me. By the time I made captain you would only be a few hundred numbers junior to me, with atleast 4 years DOH difference.

Delta has a descent retirement "schedual". I have moved up over 1000 numbers since I hired on in May 2001. The trouble is I have allmost as many guys senior to me who are furloughed.

And as far as you not liking the flow through. I was under the impression that you did not have to sign up at AMR. When your number came up you could by pass, and people couldn't come in senior to you.

Last edited:
Wait a second.... Delta's MEC offers Comair's MEC preferential treatment for future hiring and the Comair guy balks and instead goes for the full bonanza? Does that sound like looking a gift horse in the mouth? Why would anyone do that? Why upset the people who will be hiring your members in the future? Big mistake?

I'll bet most junior and mid-level Comair pilots (the vast majority of pilots) would at least like the OPTION of being hired at Delta later on when expansion continues... Am I wrong?

I will confirm that Delta pilots are, IN FACT, involved in all pilot interviews. Probaby not such a good idea to upset the very people who interview you... Great news if you are an ASA pilot and want to fly for Delta at some point (not necessarily the best option for all pilots) - you suddenly look a lot better.....

Do you think the Comair MEC made a mistake? Those Delta guys I overheard at the driving range did not sound happy at all....

Please don't flame me - I just want clarification... Thanks

NYRANGERS:

The copy of the resolution from LEC 44 that I saw contained specific language that stated the hiring of CMR pilots was NOT supported in the future by the DAL MEC. Is this correct or was this a doctored copy of the resolution meant to anger CMR pilots?

Lumber Yak said:
Wait a second.... Delta's MEC offers Comair's MEC preferential treatment for future hiring and the Comair guy balks and instead goes for the full bonanza? Does that sound like looking a gift horse in the mouth? Why would anyone do that? Why upset the people who will be hiring your members in the future? Big mistake?

I'll bet most junior and mid-level Comair pilots (the vast majority of pilots) would at least like the OPTION of being hired at Delta later on when expansion continues... Am I wrong?

I will confirm that Delta pilots are, IN FACT, involved in all pilot interviews. Probaby not such a good idea to upset the very people who interview you... Great news if you are an ASA pilot and want to fly for Delta at some point (not necessarily the best option for all pilots) - you suddenly look a lot better.....

Do you think the Comair MEC made a mistake? Those Delta guys I overheard at the driving range did not sound happy at all....

Please don't flame me - I just want clarification... Thanks

Sure they are making a mistake. DALPA is the only pilot group on the property that has any power. We at ASA and Comair have no scope. No prospect of getting any scope. Therefore we do not control any flying, and have no power. Just look at what Comair accomplished with their 89 day strike (nothing much, it was a draw). We at ASA will end up the same way if we are ever allowed to strike.

So, knowing this, why would you piss-off the most powerful pilot group on the DAL property. It could be that the Comair pilots think the DAL pilots are down and out, that the RJDC will win their lawsuit, that DALPA scope restrictions will end, and that they don't need anything from the DAL pilot group.

It is more likely that the RJDC will lose their lawsuit. At some point FM will end, furloughs will stop, and recalls will begin. At some point DAL will again hire pilots. When that happens will this stand by the Comair MEC be worth the price for those Comair pilots who want to move on to DAL? It would have cost them nothing to pass a resolution calling on Comair management to hire furloughed DAL pilots without asking them to resign their DAL number. Comair management will do what they want to do anyway.

This is a big mistake, and in the long run the Comair pilots will suffer for it.

You know while you "mainliners" whine about a few jobs and "threaten" future job considerations, one might want to re-think ones position.

Specifically people flying "dinosaures" should take notice at the changing aviation infrastructure. The RJ is here to stay!!! The revolution isn't over, it's just starting!!

This popular baby comes in several convienent sizes. 50-70 and where not prohibited by (and soon to be negotiated away in future contracts) scope clauses, the 90!

While I'm sure business will go on as usual for a while, that may be all you have left, awhile!

So hold down the retoric "Sky King" you meet the same people on your way down as up!

If you want reasonable results you first have to be reasonable.

ACE just curious

Just wanted to know if you consider CMR, ASA, and DAL all one company. The reason I ask is you have a couple of things in your post that seem to conflict. Would just like a little clarification.

***** Southwest is a "seperate" company just like Comair. *****

***** negotiate brand scope that would state all Delta flying be preformed by Delta, ASA and Comair, or negotiate a plan for future integration of seniiority list that fairly recognizes ASA and Comair.

It sounds like you are willing to except them as part of your company if they will keep out other codeshare. Not trying to start a fight, just trying to understand.

Latest resources

Back