Comair Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Emmanuel

Glad to hear you made the right decision. Looking forward to seeing you at the headquarters.

About your avtar. Too confusing when you have the same one as the pilot before you.

I will be without a computer for the first week or so of class so won't be able to spread any information I find out in class.

I really appreciate the moral support I received on this forum while waiting for my class date.

Good luck to those of you waiting for a class. Shouldn't be as long as before - see ya there.

SWEET!!!

SWEET.......

That means not only 2002 is a good possibility, but maybe even november might happen:D :D :D

Ok, now to cross fingers so Sharon finds my # among the ones she needs to call this week;)

Anyway, the pool sudenly seems to be getting outta water and that; is a really good thing..........SWEEET!!!!!:D ;) :D

good number for Sharon?

I need to talk to sharon regarding a class date that she offered me. Does anyone have a number that somebody near her might actually answer (a number other than the one she put in the pool letter)? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

not even close, but.......

I need to talk to sharon regarding a class date that she offered me. Does anyone have a number that somebody near her might actually answer (a number other than the one she put in the pool letter)? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

I have absolutely no Phone #'s for Sharon, but, I will see her tomorow @ 11:00 am, she and 2 interview captains are coming to the academy to motivate students I guess.

So if you reply before that time, and want me to transfer a message I'll see what I can do for you, no promisses;) .

Rich!

P.S.:Hugh Jorgan
I tried to PM u but your box is full,PM me to see if I can help:(

Rich, if Capt. R. McW. and T. McG. are there, tell 'em I said "hi!" I flew them in the new Seminole when they visited SFB in June...I even had RM do his 1st ever GPS approach!

Latest class of 6 that convened today had March interviewees as I'm told, and the last of the May CAA CFIs.

Interview Team Visit to JAX

Basically not much, like expected, motivation for the students, however the core of the audience were CFI's new ones and the ones getting close to interview.

they did mention however that they have seen some few problems with CAA Grads in training, and they think part of the reason is because the training is tailored for the experienced pilot doing a transition, pilots who already have experience with turbines and flying bigger Iron than what we are used to flying.

Todd mentioned that the biggest problem they see is people not only from the Academy, but from the Academy especially get to the sim with the attitude of "here I am, teach me", and went on saying that it is somewhat normal because that is what we are used to doing in the Academy. However he also stated that we are not the only ones having the problem and the proble has an eassy fix.:eek:

The fix he sugested was from the first day u get your sim partner assigned, you need to get together and start studying together, practising flows, callouts, checklists and such. Basically what everybody has said before, get to the sim knowing everything you can know, so the only thing u have to learn is how to actually fly the A/C, the Sim sessions is not the time to learn procedures or flows , nor to learn how to use the QRM.

He suggested to comit the 2 months of training to nothing but training and studying, the people that have struggled in training and the ones who washed out, are people that were having "issues" other than training, u know like trying to move to CVG while in training, or other pesonal problems, his best advice he said, is to come to trainnig clear minded, or at least recognizing that even if you have "issues" outside of training you should put 100% of your focus on training.

He also sugested that the best idea as far as Sim partner goes is to seek somebody from a background other than CAA, that way we share knowledge, they help us with the High performance Transport Category A/C stuff, and we help them with the Comair procedures; apparently we do have those honed down, so it is not all uphill, but certainly Academy grads will face challenges different to what a 121 background will.

He said they have not seen any trouble with CAA grads in ground school, but we are taking a few more Hrs of sim. they also mentioned that they are reconfiguring the training so that they dont have to invest so much time in extra training, not tone it down, but modify it in such a way that they cover all levels of knowledge in a better way.

John Anstett and Sharon Jones had little to say and when somebody mentioned that I had interviewd already and even worse asked out loud when was my class date; well, let's just say that there was an akward silence, and both me and them were looking fo ra place to hide our faces, this was definitively a place Sharon didn't wanna hear the proberbial..."whens my class date??"

They briefly talked about the future, and pls, dont ask more cuz all I know is what Im posting:
32 planes in 2002, at least 2 of 'em 70 seaters (by the way Capt. Mcgregor referd to it as th e700 seaters.... LOL, he crossed CL-65-700 with 70 seater like 3-4 times....)

Aprox 32 airplanes for 2003 and by Dec 2003 there should be some 5 -700's

They are looking into new domiciles, however with the movements in the northeast, they now don't know what will happen to th eDFW base.

Somebody asked if they had a plan for the next 3, 5 and 10 years to which they answered yes. but they also explained that in this bussines the only guaranteed thing is that which already happened, the started this year with plan A, they are now by plan X, and have made brief pit stops in some letters to use numbers, like plan J-1, J-2 and so on...

what this means is the airline is looking into growth, and looking into expansion, but at the rate things change they have a hard time predicting what will happen 2 weeks in advance. ( I guess that explains class dates?)

All in all, it all looks great, and they are accelerating a few classes for the end of this year. they kkep the pool half full just in case someday they need to fill 40 pilot positions in 1 class, they are very smart people have been doing bussines for a while and really have a feel for where to allocate their resources.

That's about all I remeber, I hope it gives some insight, I know it's not much, but the purpouse of the meeting was more oriented towards people about to interview, not swimers....

best of luck to all, and see you in CVG....

Rich!

P.S.1 Hovernut, Todd had only good things to say about you and the flight in a "small plane" and that you did a great job flying them. he sent his regards back

P.S.2 Hugh Jorgan
I was not able to relay the message, she didn't seem receptive (sorry) but she will be back in CVG tomorrow

Last edited:
Short-Term Future Plans

Just got the post-indoc (week 1) grand tour and talking to by the higher ups. They said Bombardier's FY ends Jan 31 and they wanted to "clear out some inventory" before then, and I guess they worked a deal with Comair to take a few extra deliveries. So, just after being overstaffed with pilots, they said things might get a little tight in the near-term future. That hopefully looks good for reserve pilots to get lines sooner.

They hemmed and hawwed about the DFW base, and as Rich Man said, more fleet allocation is going to the likes of LaGuardia and other NE destinations. The director of flight ops said he'd like to have an RJ destination in every state, but that's just not feasible quite yet ;)

The 70 entered revenue service yesterday, ahead of schedule. They did the official roll-out and press conference today in the MX hangar. Had tours of the airplane, too. Whatta sweet machine!! Now all's they have to figure out is how to get the bags out of the belly compartment! I hear ASA uses a hockey stick!

Everybody's been great so far, and very helpful. They really do want to get you through training and on-line!

Regards!

Holiday Schedules

We were told today that ppl in training will have Turkey Day, Christmas, and New Years off. Training will also suspend no later than 1300 the day prior, and commence no earlier than 0500 the day after. This doesn't apply to IOE or line checks.

Pay while in training

I know this has probably already been covered however, "What is the pay while in training?" Is it just based on the min guarantee flight hours per month for a first year FO? I'm just trying to get ahead of the game, cancel the cable, shut off the electric, lease out the kids, etc......

Latest resources

Back