• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CNBC reports US Air / United in merger talks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DOH is the worst way to merge. What if you have a newer company that's doing well and a large old company that is struggling to stay alive. DO you think it makes any sense to use DOH, now guys who are senior captains are now reserve FO's. Relative seniority is the only way to cause the least amount of damage.

There's a simple and equitable way to integrate the two pilot groups at UAL and USAirways: binding arbitration.

I am sure the USAirways pilots will be fully supportive.

DOH is the best way to merge a list. I have been through three mergers and DOH was always the quickest way to end the fighting. Any other type of merger just prolongs unnecessary infighting. Someday I hope we get a National seniority list to prevent the whipsawing between startups and mainline.

The prob with a national seniority list is when does it start? When you are a commercial pilot hauling boxes or with a commuter job or is it just the big boys that will be included. What a mess.

I have to agree with Thor, DOH makes little sense.

If one applied pure DOH to the AAA/AWA deal, then as far as I can tell, considering AWA started in 1984, just about all the west pilots would have been stapled to the bottom.

Would that be fair, I don't personally think so!

Republic has expressed an interest in the East Bases. I imagine they could be sold assets to clear the Eastern Anti-trust problem.

What about this idea....

UAL and LCC are going to have some... but less anti-trust issues as their relitive sizes are smaller then in previous merger talks as seen in the past circa 90's '05 and '08. Post merger there will be a need to shed some routes and overlapping structures....i.e. (job losses)

Insert the current Republic situation with both DAL, UAL and USair all still funding Republic as a direct competitor...ala Frontier. Hypotheticly speaking, a combined USair and UAL could seek to be excused from the Republic contracts on there E series platform in a swap of assets, such as slots, and other infastructure in the overlapping cities, and would also mitigate any anti-trust issues.... Frontier would grow, aquire assets and routes, giving the little boost to anti-trust needed to get this through....

The new Marriage of LCC and UAL would also "right size" their regional fleets in he same step... and would force Republic into competion with their previous code-share partners....

This would be interesting to watch... a lean and mean UAL/LCC Combo, in direct competition to Republic in a very competive East Coast Market....

Just a thought.....

V1

Last edited:
who gives a ******************** about republic anyway?

I certianly don't... I am only saying this might be a way to retrieve ones "own" flying while possibly eleminating a boil in the same step.....

V1

would that be fair?

if one really agreed to abide by the norms seniority requires, then there should be a national list going back to Ok City records, and you'd have to just accept it.. even if you were the acquirer...since when has anything been fair in life?

Latest resources

Back