• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CNBC reports US Air / United in merger talks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UA + ayone = bad idea. Tilton is a money hungry, all about me SOB that will do whatever to make some $. The only other beneficaries from this will be the Wall St. bankers that own the majority of the stock.

Right, and the structure is designed to obliterate an ALPA-negotiated provision in LOA 93 for a snap back to 2002 wages (remember 2002??)

So watch ALPA (UAL ALPA) support that obliteration. A circumvention of its own contract language!!! ALPA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well......at least UAL is now very much in favor of DOH, so the absolutely ill-conceived, irrational, inane NIC will be placed in a coffin like it should have been upon its first viewing.

BC

(Who did the 517 work for?!?!?!?.....must have been some other carrier who's pilots had superior career expectations!!!)

I think you are right on the money. This falls in line with Parkers comments to the union that he will not allow a change of control triguring the snap backs. However UAL ALPA and anyone else that is thinking clearly, would want USAir to snap back. Raise the bar anyway you can.

You are also correct that UAL has become a very senior airline that would work toward DOH/longevity. I have said before the nic is a poisin pill that will prevent any merger. I am sure the west coast is salivating on it's relative seniority stand. "oooh look I'm in the top 25% of the list, where are the keys to my 777." NOT

If this living nightmare were to go thru the nic would have to go and the process would have to start over using the ALPA merger policy as it stands today.

AWA is going to Republic. Mark my words. List will go relative and will make all AWA pilots happy. They will get rid of the East and be on their merry way with a young motivated work group.( who can not wait to get their hands on some bigger metal)
USAIRWAYS is going to have a Westoasectomy.
Good luck Westies.

M

It's not the West pilots that management wants to get rid of McDooosh. Remember the snap back provision in the case of a merger. It's the Easties gotta go. They're the more senior of the group and the most problem prone. Buh Bye.

I think you are right on the money. This falls in line with Parkers comments to the union that he will not allow a change of control triguring the snap backs. However UAL ALPA and anyone else that is thinking clearly, would want USAir to snap back. Raise the bar anyway you can.

You are also correct that UAL has become a very senior airline that would work toward DOH/longevity. I have said before the nic is a poisin pill that will prevent any merger. I am sure the west coast is salivating on it's relative seniority stand. "oooh look I'm in the top 25% of the list, where are the keys to my 777." NOT

If this living nightmare were to go thru the nic would have to go and the process would have to start over using the ALPA merger policy as it stands today.

You can't get rid of the NIC. Care to go against a court order? You could however implement the NIC then turn around and go DOH with United.

Just because a US/UAL merger sounds so stupid to make it almost unplausible doesn't make it untrue. I think that's why so many are convinced that this is nothing more than a ploy. It sounds absurd but these are the two guys who've been screaming "merger" more often and louder than anyone else for a very long time. I think they're serious!

AMR and CAL can't get together because both have primary hubs in TX (DFW and IAH), and also hubs in the NYC area (JFK/EWR). That just would not work. Tilton and Parker want their cash now, and by talking merger, it forces the others to join in, since they know that they don't want to be left out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Throw out the nic, ALPA would probably be back ,though I would not vote for them. Their new policy uses longevity/DOH press on with life.

Actually the Nic is binding and would be honored in any seniority integration. Also, ALPA policy is status/category, career expectations, and longevity. All elements encompoassed in one form or another in the Nic award.

Throw out the nic, ALPA would probably be back ,though I would not vote for them. Their new policy uses longevity/DOH press on with life.

That is wrong. Call your merger rep and get briefed as to the new policy.

But since UAL pilots do indeed think they get DOH, I wonder how they're feeling now since US is more or less a very senior airline now, isn' it?.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back