• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career after washing out of 121 training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To say the last few weeks have been depressing would be the understatement of the century.

I washed out of training last month with Eagle. Training was challenging after CFI'ing for the last 2 years in Texas but I made it to the checkride with a few bumps along the way, and Busted. I was completely tense and knew it. No excuses, I F'ed up. Was given 1 sessions of retraining after which the instructor recommending 1 more before send me for the retest. I got word the next day to report to the office of the Director of training and was given an option to resign or i'd be let go.

I came to training with a good attitude,"hat in my hands" approach, ready to be a sponge and give it my all. Did well during ground school and really loved studying with the guys, practicing flows, keeping ahead of the material with my study groups (not so much to burn out, we had our time to cool off with a cold one). I feel I gave it my all. I find myself looking back thinking "what could I have done differently" . I had some trouble getting adjusted to the glass in the ERJ (never flew any glass before) and seemed to start off struggling in the sim.

I'd considered myself very focused on my career and now find myself thinking its FUBR. Any advice you guys/gals can share would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I'm sure i'll get some replys along the lines of "you suck go work at mcdonalds" and I thank you guys for it in advance. If nothing else it'll help keep me as humble.

It's not your successes that show what you're truly made of. It's how you handle your failures.

Finally a post on FI where people are actually giving good advice!!! If you fail you first 121/135 checkride it's not the end of the world at all. especially with an attitude like yours. People make all kinds of mistakes coming out of being a cfi all the time. My first job after 2 years of teaching in sunny fl was flying a seneca 2 in the middle of winter in mn,sd and nd. I damn near killed myself on a daily basis but I learned more about myself and about flying than anyone sitting in those rj's ever will. Go send your resumes to the 121 jobs if thats what you really want but until you get hired go get yourself a 135 job flying freight. It will make your flying skills alot better and could save your life someday. remember You can make someone a better pilot but you cant make them a better person.

Fly safe,
Anthony B

If your interested in some 135 companies pm me and ill help ya out

It's definately not the end of the world. Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it; but support from your peers is priceless. Get back in the air as soon as you can. Currency is huge.

Try skydive ops.

You'd be suprised.

And I just heard of a cat who didn't make it in 121 regional and was at a 121 major. Anything is possible.

You can always try Management......I KID!

Finally a post on FI where people are actually giving good advice!!! If you fail you first 121/135 checkride it's not the end of the world at all. especially with an attitude like yours. People make all kinds of mistakes coming out of being a cfi all the time. My first job after 2 years of teaching in sunny fl was flying a seneca 2 in the middle of winter in mn,sd and nd. I damn near killed myself on a daily basis but I learned more about myself and about flying than anyone sitting in those rj's ever will.

Thats was exactly my first twin job, a Seneca 2, going between FAR, MSP, DLH back to FAR every morning.

Learn a lot doing that too

HA HA HA HA HA. You do suck, you should go work at McDonald's or something. Seriously a SIC ride! Was it the steep turns that got ya? Or the two engine no auto-pilot ILS?[/quot

Phew. For two pages there I thought i'd wandered onto Oprah or Dr. Phil's site.

W

Dubya said:
Phew. For two pages there I thought i'd wandered onto Oprah or Dr. Phil's site.

I forgot how chic it was on the FI Regionals board to kick a guy when he's down...

Sheeesh. A fellow pilot with the right attitude needs some support and he should be kicked down?!

...and what purpose does that serve? I'm sure everyone here had some difficulty in their aviation career and felt subjectively horrible about themselves. If you read his post, he CFI'ed for 2 years prior, which I respect immensely. Unlike some lousy 300 hr. kid out of a cheesy RJ program who passes his so-called "ride" at a regional desperate for pilots.

My gues is that if it were somewhere besides AE, he'd be scheduling IOE.

Everything happens for a reason.. the reason might not be clear to you now, but you will be 65 someday sittinging on your porch with a big fat bob marley doobie looking back laughing at the fact that you "almost went to eagle".. you will be glad you did not go there

AMEN BROTHER!!! LOL!

You might want to check this out:

http://www.airnet.com/Careers/careersFrame.htm

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back