• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career after washing out of 121 training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Successful people never fail because they always learn from their mistakes. You should print this thread and save it. Someday you will look back on it and remember when times were tough you were persistent and overcame adversity. Anything is possible. CFI to Jet is a big jump dude. Get some experience and bring some judgment to the cockpit. It will come. Passing a 121 check is not just about learning the lines and acting like you know what you are doing. This set back will be a good follow through in the future and you will be better for it. You'll probably even become a check airman some day.

Good luck

Last edited:
To the original poster, sorry to hear about your experience. I busted part of my checkride at my first 121 gig straight out of CFIing and can somewhat sympathize with what you're feeling. The good news is that it's not the end of the world! If nothing else, remember this, attitude is everything. You seem to have a good one. That is priceless going forward.

Like others have mentioned, 135 might be a good route for you to sharpen your skills. Especially your instrument skills from what I hear. This will be very helpful for your next try. I think that one of the keys to flying a sim is to not have any questions when it comes to instruments. The only task you want to have is that of flying the box. Your mind should only be concerned with Flows, Profiles and Callouts.

That being said, I'm confident that if you got hired by another regional today, you'd have no problem passing the course. You actually learned alot more than you think from that experience. Give it a shot you got nothing to loose by trying. When you do get an opportunity, invest in some sim time somewhere. It'll better prepare you and will do wonders for your confidence. Very best of luck to you. It's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Single pilot freight taught me alot in the 5.5 years I did it. You will scare the crap out of yourself a few times but will learn alot....my .02 cents. "Keep diggin'

I don't know you at all so I can't say if you should just go call the truck driving school or not.

I can say that I approve of the attitude that you have and wish you the best of luck. Personally I think that some of that luck came into play in not being involved with AMR!

In a former job I was called on from time to time to "evaluate" pilots-which pissed me off because I wasn't getting a check airman override or anything but I was trusted to make some tough calls-calls that most often should have been made far sooner by the training department. Having said that, the only people that I ever had trouble with were the ones that said "Uh, huh, okay" and kept doing the same stupid stuff and the ones that thought they already knew it all...

My guess is that you will be okay.

Last edited:
HA HA HA HA HA. You do suck, you should go work at McDonald's or something. Seriously a SIC ride! Was it the steep turns that got ya? Or the two engine no auto-pilot ILS?

Steve,
Never give up, there is a way to get through if you really want to. It might take some time, but in the end things can work out if you perservere.

You aren't perfect and you have your limitations but you can always improve. Airline training is sink or swim and some people sink, but the next time they will swim if they learn from their previous mistakes.

Someone out there will give you another chance, so don't worry about that right now- just pick yourself up and figure out Plan B.

I remember when I got hired at Eagle with 3000 hours (different times)LOL! CFI to Jet is not easy deal. No microwave pilot course can replace experience. Go get some and you will be fine!! in the end you will be a much better pilot! Good luck and no worries!

Awwwww, there is so much love in the air. You suck and should go work at McD's. There are plenty of qualified pilots who do not fail punk azz regional training who are or will be out of a job for reasons they have nothing to do with. Yeah, I said it. So what?

People like you should never be allowed to procreate.
You must be one of those old school eagle instructors they haven't gotten rid of yet.

Latest resources

Back