• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career after washing out of 121 training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I trained at eagle. Got there with almost 5,000, mostly twin time and some serious IFR in the northeast. They just about ate my lunch. I consider myself lucky to have gotten through. How any 1,000 hour CFI gets through is beyond me. Many flowbacks from American have failied that course. Believe me, you can be an excellent pilot and not make it through there, and those Embraer sims are very unstable single engine.
I have no doubt that you are a good pilot, and I applaud you for trying to make such a huge jump. I highly, highly reccomend you do a little 135 work, maybe some check hauling. It will introduce you to a new regulatory einvironment, as well as sharpen your IFR skills. After a year of scheduled 135 at night, you won't be afraid to look any pilot in the eye.

Keep your chin up. I consider you lucky to avoid being an Eagle FO. It's not a fun job.

Regards, Wacoflyr

I think the EMB sim is pretty easy on one engine. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd gues Eagle has at least an 85% pass rate for new-hire training and that includes all backgrounds and experience levels.

Aside from the long upgrade and low staffing, I don't think being an Eagle F/O is any worse then any other regional.

I think the EMB sim is pretty easy on one engine. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd gues Eagle has at least an 85% pass rate for new-hire training and that includes all backgrounds and experience levels.

Aside from the long upgrade and low staffing, I don't think being an Eagle F/O is any worse then any other regional.

Ok, maybe that was a little heavy. We lost two out of 16 to the sim in my class. I trained on the Flight Safety emb sims, and took my check ride at the schoolhouse, and I think the FS sims are more twitchy single engine. While I liked my fellow crews, I did not like working for Eagle, and was glad to leave. I think the low staffing is a major issue that seriously effects QOL. Just my opinion.

Wacoflyr.

Go get a job flying freight or 135, or maybe go get a ATP or something do something moving forward that might prove to the next "lucky" (to have you) regionals. There is one thing for sure you won't wash out again because experience is experience, you'll look bad and see what you did wrong and what was wrong through training and correct. I'd hire you, you seem to have a good attitude. I'd rather fly with somebody with a good head on their shoulders then someone with a cocky (I made it through training and have 700 TT) guy.

I agree with all the (positive) advice given so far, I have only two things to add:

1. There but by the grace of God go I.

2. I'm having an absolute blast flying the E120 for a living, but 121 regional flying isn't really the end-all be-all of the aviation world, as some people would have you believe. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just go find a decent 135 job (which will pay better than a regional job) and do that until you could find a job flying big jets or at a frac or at a good 91 department--just skip the regionals all together. There is some good money to be made as a regional pilot, but the problem is that it takes so long to work up to it, and by then you are so invested in your job at the regional (good seniority, good schedule, etc.) that it would be tempting not to leave.

In any case, best of luck and hang in there.

-Goose

Dude big freaking deal. Check out Airtnet, Ram Air, Mountain Air cargo etc. Go spend a year part 135 single pilot IFR and you will be 10x the pilot you are now.
I did it for 4 years and most of what I learned I still use today. Now of course when I did it back then alot of the Part 135 rules were not enforced and you worked loooooong days and if you refused to fly because of weather you were fired but it gave you backbone and how to fight the good fight.
Single Pilot freight and when you head back you will be like me spending more time in the bar drinking then studying during training and passing with easy.

Latest resources

Back