• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL .....again...and fearful

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with these pups is that no old timer ever sat down with them over a beer and told them how the industry REALLY works.

Or about how you can change the rules to benefit yourselves at the expense of others.

I think three things were probably in play that day:
1., realization that UAL was paying way way too much for usair

2., understanding of the likely UAL employee (especially pilot) backlash

3., the political climate at the time was going to be anything but friedly toward the deal

If any part of that deal was "poison", it wasn't UAL.

I was working at the UAL ORD B767 Pilot Crew Desk the day the aborted attempt at merging with USAir was announced in May of 2000.

The UAL stock price tanked by 20+ bucks a share that day and NEVER RECOVERED, not til they declared BK and the stock was worthless.

The USAir stock price climbed around 20 bucks or more that day.

The Street's opinion of the UA/US merger then was the kiss of death, and while one of the dance partners have changed, there is so much poisonous blood between UA Management and the rank and file UA employee, I cant see merging with UA to be any better this time...

Go it alone CAL, you can do it...

Hint: I don't work for ual, my avatar gives a hint. Don't smoke crack. Maybe I will try it in the 2035 when I retire. Imho, while uals fleet is starting to age, my guess is its avg is comparable to the new dal(even if you subtract the dc9s) and aa. Ual has a large short bus fleet for domestic, a large 75/76 fleet and of course the 77 and 744s. Huge posistion in ord, sfo, lax. They have given up on the east coast, however anyone they merge with has that(aa,cal,lcc) Anyone of those carriers will do what the new delta is doing and put the correct aircraft in the correct market. With the right leadership and combo ual could once again be the dominating airline they were in the late 80s and 90s. Now lets look at cal. You have ewr and iah that really count. No real presence out west and a small footprint in asia but an impressive Euro footprint. You need ual and they need you. Just as nwa/dal. As far as planes. Getting them will not be a problem. When needed, boeing, airbus, ge, iflc will get them asap for a carrier the size of ual. Did you notice the :D as far as the 500hr wonder comment?? As far as ual being dead, don't count on it. Most of the airline world was hoping for cals demise throughout the 80s and 90s due to the drag y'all were on wages and benefits.

Ok, I'll agree with you that CAL does need the Asian market and UAL does need the European market. CAL needs the heavy lift, but it'll be solved whenever the 787 comes around. I know, I know....whenever that happens. UAL has something to offer, I'll agree, but at what cost. That's why CAL left the merger table with UAL....too much risk. If you think Kellner walked away for a reason, you're right. It's a sinking ship and he's a bean counter. He saw huge problems. Granted, now the landscape has changed and we might HAVE to merge. But I'm hoping if that happens, we buy parts and don't absorb the whole damn thing. It's called cherry picking and I think that's the direction that CAL is going. Wait and see I guess.

Heyas Cobra,

You are seeing the end result of ipod generation of pilots.

They've never been told "no", never had a really rough ride in their career, and never had to instruct, sweep the hangar floor or any other character building activity.

They slid right out of whatever puppymill ("Thanks Dad! Can I have keys to the Hummer?") they went to, right into the right seat of an RJ (the jet job they were "owed") and through a quirk of timing, wound up at a major, where, thanks to crappy, post 9/11 workrules, fell right into seats that were typically VERY senior in the past.

Now, ooopsie, it looks like some game changer, which is SO common in this industry, has got them all upset and they can't find their blankie...

The problem with these pups is that no old timer ever sat down with them over a beer and told them how the industry REALLY works.

Well, let me be the first: "Get used to it, son, there are NEVER any 'good times'. Save money, because it's a short ride".

Cobra, I also agree with you about UAL. Great ship, no rudder. With the right crew, it could be a fearsome powerhouse.

Nu

I was waiting to see when "your" generaton would chime in. First of all, most of us (i don't even think I'm the ipod generation) did struggle. Of course, we have those that didn't, but I'm not one of them. I remember sleeping in my car covered in blankets in Burlington Vermont just to get a chance at multi engine time because I didn't have the money to pay for it. My coffee that I had in the car would freeze....it was that cold. I also remember sleeping in KAL cargo bins (those metal ones) in the heated section of the JFK cargo area because the UPS pilots wouldn't let me in their lounge. I'd put down cardboard boxes and foam peanuts just so my legs wouldn't go numb. I remember sweating my arse off flying around Florida after working at a gun shop running up and down stairs with hundreds of pounds of ammo just to have some money to get some time. So spare me your arrogant attitude to the "new" generation. You and your croanies are pathetic and I'm sick of hearing about your "walking through 3ft of snow, uphill, blah blah blah". Get a life.....

Simmer down, junior. There are 500 hr wonders at CAL. Don't get offended by it. It's called the "family" vote. I can think of 2 off the top of my head. Neither had 121 time before starting. One upgraded, for first time in a 737.

As for UAL's structure, why would Larry even entertain a merge/code share/Joint venture, if UAL had nothing to offer. UAL's current state is due to pathetic management. With a proper captain at the helm, it could shine. That's where Larry and team come in. Who cares, you and I can't do anything about it. If it happens, mature integration won't happen with attitudes like that at the table.

As Sonny said, good luck to us all.

Ok, send me their names and I'll do some research. We don't have any 500 hour wonders at CAL. In fact, I haven't flown with many that had less than 6000 hours total time. Misinformation and you're spreading that. If you're right, I'll post a message that your were indeed correct and I'll slide backwards in shame. I look forward to your PM with those names......

About the reason why Kellner talked to Tilton and others about a merger is just that....it's called TALKING. Exploration....whatever. Just because you see me at a car dealership with a salesman in his office, doesn't mean I'm buying a car. Right?

Last edited:
Have to agree.... I don't know anyone who could get in the interview door without ATP mins and that includes all the Managements/Pilots kids. Kind of needed since all pilots are Typed in there A/C. 737/756/777

(How the thread always falls apart to mines bigger than yours by page 3..... amazing)

It's not about mine is bigger than theirs.....it's about fact and fiction. Tired of the bs that people just spread.

Hi!

SWA and AirTran.

cliff
ILN

Latest resources

Back