• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL .....again...and fearful

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was waiting to see when "your" generaton would chime in. First of all, most of us (i don't even think I'm the ipod generation) did struggle. Of course, we have those that didn't, but I'm not one of them. I remember sleeping in my car covered in blankets in Burlington Vermont just to get a chance at multi engine time because I didn't have the money to pay for it. My coffee that I had in the car would freeze....it was that cold. I also remember sleeping in KAL cargo bins (those metal ones) in the heated section of the JFK cargo area because the UPS pilots wouldn't let me in their lounge. I'd put down cardboard boxes and foam peanuts just so my legs wouldn't go numb. I remember sweating my arse off flying around Florida after working at a gun shop running up and down stairs with hundreds of pounds of ammo just to have some money to get some time. So spare me your arrogant attitude to the "new" generation. You and your croanies are pathetic and I'm sick of hearing about your "walking through 3ft of snow, uphill, blah blah blah". Get a life.....
You whippersnappers!
Ha! I wish all I had were frozen coffee! You actually had blankets? And you are complaining? Why I had to sleep with a litter of stray dogs to stay warm, and convince the mother dog I was a puppy to get some milk! I never complained!

You whippersnappers!
Ha! I wish all I had were frozen coffee! You actually had blankets? And you are complaining? Why I had to sleep with a litter of stray dogs to stay warm, and convince the mother dog I was a puppy to get some milk! I never complained!

Well, my dad DID give me blankets so he wouldn't have to pay for the doctor's bill when I got pneumonia.

United will be parted out, CAL will codeshare and get first dibs on routes etc. Everytime I have a UAL pilot on the jumpseat all they do is complain about their company, it must be really bad.

United will be parted out, CAL will codeshare and get first dibs on routes etc. Everytime I have a UAL pilot on the jumpseat all they do is complain about their company, it must be really bad.

Was that a trip that you picked up in Open Time (in the right OR left seat?!!!)

SLI will be fun for sure......

Hmmmm.....seems some CAL Scabs have climbed out of the rocks they were hiding under and chimed in...

Hmmmm.....seems some CAL Scabs have climbed out of the rocks they were hiding under and chimed in...

I want nothing to do with a merger with the train wreck known as United Airlines. So am I also a scab?

What about in the past when United was riding high and your pilots were cheering the demise of other airlines and lusting after the pieces. Can we then label or call any or all of you scabs?

Have you ever listened to your retired pilots observations of your current pilots?

Bottom line we are all entitled to our opinions and just because someone wants nothing to do with the toxic mess known as United airlines does not make someone a scab.

Part it out, liquidate it or merge it. None of the circle jerk discussions or childish rants are going to make any difference other than playing right into managements hands should any of the above come to pass.

EWR CAL PILOTS HAVE YOU VOTED? WE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU AND WILL GLADLY FIGHT THE UNITED PILOTS IF NECESSARY!

“Jeff Nason realizes that a man is known by the company he keeps… and acts accordingly.”

If this statement is true, and it is, then our opponents are in trouble. It’s bad enough that every time they open their mouths their own feet appear there; it’s worse when the hatchet men they have come to rely upon for their baseless personal attacks on us provide nothing but, well, baseless personal attacks. It had become bad enough, and this was before their latest round of political slime-slinging, that their candidate for Secretary/Treasurer, Jeff Nason, resigned from their ticket in disgust. We received e-mails from Jeff apologizing to us for the conduct of his running mates and their volunteer thugs. We all assured him, however, that his apologies were unnecessary. And they were. Jeff acted like a gentleman, and gentlemen rarely have to apologize for their own conduct.

We are not interested in slinging anything except the truth, and we will remain focused on what we intend to do once we take office.

We fully intend to:

· Open an LC 170 office near the airport with complementary transportation;

· Create an effective communications program to include frequent blastmails, a code-a-phone, the revitalization of The Nor’easter, and a first-class website that will be easy to navigate;

· Visit the crew rooms at least monthly and be available to all pilots at other times as much as is humanly possible;

· Create an educational campaign to clearly show every pilot just how far behind every other airline we are in every area of our contract as one of the first steps to building the unity we lack today. This campaign will include a short-course on negotiating under the Railway Labor Act and explain why a pilot group united behind outstanding leadership cannot be derailed; and

· Create a whole host of Local Council committees staffed with the volunteers who were previously shut out of the process. We have many, many talented and dedicated pilots in EWR; we intend to use them.
We will also carry the fight to the company in the following areas:
· We will keep the “A” Fund intact.

· We will ensure that no pilot will be without medical insurance no matter how new they are to Continental Airlines.

· We will continue the fight for Seniority Block Representation.

· We will fight to end the “B” scale for our pilots with two to six years of service.

· We will fight to eliminate probation as we know it today.
Some of these issues can be addressed as soon as we take office. Some must be addressed in the context of a full, industry-leading contract. Regardless, we will address these issues.

This article from Bloomberg News dated November 5th indicates that we may have the first airline labor-friendly administration in years. This means that, for the first time, we may have the perfect storm at our backs instead of in our faces as we begin to negotiate the economic sections of our new contract. Remember, with the recent collapse in jet fuel prices management’s own numbers show we have saved over THREE BILLION DOLLARS on an annualized basis. Very soon now, management will run out of places to hide their windfall. Some of that windfall belongs to us—and we will take it. We will take it in the form of substantial increases in our pay rates, real work rules, enhancements to our retirement programs, and more time at home with our families.

Every one of us has sacrificed to keep Continental Airlines flying, and every one of us will share in the gains we will fight to bring home. We pledge to represent all pilots equally, whether you have twenty days, twenty months, or twenty years on the property.

If you voted for our opponents, you have voted for the status quo and managed expectations; we, every one of us, is worth more than that. It’s not too late to change your vote: Vote Baron/Cook/Riggs TODAY!

Balloting is still open and will close on Monday, November 10th, at 10:00 EST. To cast a vote for Jayson Baron, Tara Cook and Kaye Riggs, you may do so by phone or through Ballot Point online. Both methods require your Voter ID and PIN. To vote by phone, dial 1-888-647-1787, follow the prompts to enter your Voter ID and PIN, select the ballot, and vote. To vote online go to: https://www.ballotpoint.com/alpa then enter your Voter ID and PIN and select “View Ballots” to vote. If you need a new Voter ID and PIN or a replacement, you may get an activation code to establish your voting credentials by going to the ALPA website, navigating to “MY ALPA,” then “Elections” for instructions, or you may call Membership at 1-888-FLY-ALPA, select 3, then follow the prompts. All this information can be found under "My ALPA" and “Elections” on the ALPA website.

Thank you all for your help and participation.
Captain Jayson Baron / JaysonBaron.info
First Officer Tara Cook / TaraCook.info
Captain Kaye Riggs / KayeRiggs.info

United Airline's pilots deserve what they get. Their kharma is coming back to haunt them. Neighbor of mine is a 72 year old retired United Captain. Told me the company has been self destructing for years, even while he was there. He and his wife were vacationing in London this summer and were having a drink at a pub. Overheard three guys talking about how much they hated the airline they were working for, yes it was United. He went over, introduced himself and started a friendly adult conversation. The B767 Captain, First and Relief Officer were complaining about how awful the airline was. The Captain said that it started going downhill after the strike of '85. Neighbor asked when the Captain was hired, he said in 1991. Neighor says, so you knew it was a terrible place to work, yet you still took the job? They all shared a laugh, First almost fell off the stool!

United Airline's pilots deserve what they get. Their kharma is coming back to haunt them. Neighbor of mine is a 72 year old retired United Captain. Told me the company has been self destructing for years, even while he was there. He and his wife were vacationing in London this summer and were having a drink at a pub. Overheard three guys talking about how much they hated the airline they were working for, yes it was United. He went over, introduced himself and started a friendly adult conversation. The B767 Captain, First and Relief Officer were complaining about how awful the airline was. The Captain said that it started going downhill after the strike of '85. Neighbor asked when the Captain was hired, he said in 1991. Neighor says, so you knew it was a terrible place to work, yet you still took the job? They all shared a laugh, First almost fell off the stool!

And Continental has been some wonderful place to work since the strike there in the 1980s??? Tell me all about the wonderful contracts and great labor management relations at CAL for the last 25 years.

Latest resources

Back