Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL GUYS, PAY not as they stated in writting.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its the principle of the "muthaf..ker". I would fight for it, whats next at CAL, no pay at all in training?

Naw dog that's wrong, it's the principality of the muthaf..ker:laugh:

WD.

As a probationary pilot? I'd classify that as poor judgment.

Yeah Andy you're right but the post was funny as H ell...

WD.

Poor judgement????

Poor judgement was asking if an error was made in the calculation of my check. First you say That's wrong Dog, it's the principle of it - then you say it was poor judgement on my behalf, as a probie? It was handled tackfully and an honest question about pay. I don't follow your comment. Please explain...

Poor judgement was asking if an error was made in the calculation of my check. First you say That's wrong Dog, it's the principle of it - then you say it was poor judgement on my behalf, as a probie? It was handled tackfully and an honest question about pay. I don't follow your comment. Please explain...

I'll take a quick stab at it. As a pilot on probabation just be a number for 365 days. I fully understand where you are coming form as you were told you would be paid one thing then got something else. Ask tactfully if you must ask at all but not the company, ask your union rep!

Now as for me the one post was too funny for me not to chime in...

WD.

My New Hire acceptance letter for CAL stated exactly word for word, "Pay begins the first day of training. Training pay is calculated at 76.00 hours per month for a full month of training. First year pay is $29.97 per hour, regardless of equipment flown." Now, I was in training during the entire month of April, and I was compensated for 72.00 hours. I called payroll and they said that the correct compensation is 72.00, not 76.00 as stated in the letter, and that the letter was wrong. HMMMM????!!!!???? They also told me that I was to reference Section 3 Part 8 Para C..... of the contract if I had any questions. Seems to me that this letter is legally binding, and no contract was given to me ahead of accepting the job, and starting training. If it changed somewhere along the lines, hiring dept did not make the changes, but that's not my fault. Secondly, if you read section mentioned, it is geared towards not a newhire, but someone flying the line, one who might be losing pay during training because it references (2:24) or trip lost, whichever is greater. I am certainly not new to airline contracts, but would like the money that I feel I am owed. Not much, but a great deal for a newhire here. CAL guys, your input, and best course of action please.... New guy and realize that as well with regard to being a squeaky wheel, just want what I feel I am owed. Keep in mind, this also effect 100's of newhires even though they havent realized it until now.... Thanks for the input...

I wouldn't worry about it. Let it go. If you're willing to work for $29 an hour, what's $90 to $100?

This cracks me up. If you have only been at XJT for a few years and you won't go to CAL, and still look for a "better" airline while you're there, you're nuts. It's a lot easier to leave CAL for another airline then it is from XJT. Why someone wouldn't make the move is beyond me.

First year pay does suck and no insurance for the first 6 months is total B.S. That will change, I guarantee it. I wish you could see our private message boards. That's one of the hottest topics. I also guarantee that our pay is going to go up substantially on the next contract. If it doesn't you will see pilots leaving everyday.

As far as new hires leaving. There are a few people leaving but not as much as this message board makes it out to be. I know people who have gone back to DAL because of their pension settlement and longevity. I would leave too if I was going to get 200,000 into my 401K and 7th year pay. Everyone has their reasons for leaving.

I honestly believe that we have some of the best flying in the industry. As a new hire you have the option to fly all over the world in wide body aircraft or fly 737's all over the U.S., South America, Caribbean and Mexico. If you combine our flying with a decent contract then you would have one of the most desired places to be.

They gave up way too much on the last contract but it was negotiated by morons during the worst downturn in Aviation history and it will get better.

I guess you're right. Its harder to go somewhere while your building PIC in an RJ than SIC in a 737.

Also, look at CAL historically. They've always been near the bottom in wages and benefits. I'm glad your gunning for the future, but I think you're rationalizing a false hope.

I guess you're right. Its harder to go somewhere while your building PIC in an RJ than SIC in a 737.
If you already have your 1000 hours PIC then your above statement is 100 percent correct.

Also, look at CAL historically. They've always been near the bottom in wages and benefits. I'm glad your gunning for the future, but I think you're rationalizing a false hope.

Who are you comparing CAL too? FedEx? SWA? I'm a little confused. I really do hope that we have a contract that will compare to FedEx and maybe we won't but I guarantee it will be better than any commuter and probably better than most of the other majors.

My point is CAL is a huge step up from any commuter. We have problems but "most" of that will get resolved in 08'.

Last edited:
Poor judgement? Done properly, this could be done without getting in "trouble." Managements such as yours, Andy, know that pilots of most major airlines are scared to put their d!ck on the line to fight for what they believe in. It's only $80/mo, it's only a few days more off, it's only a couple of bucks an hour, its only your pension, it's..................................................

Well said..

I find it ironic that the LCC is now lecturing the "Legacy" about this type of "go the extra mile" mentality, but it's only because some of these Legacy unions are completely inept, short sighted, and will sell out their young in a heart beat!

While we may not be at the bottom, we can see if from here.

Folks are walking from CAL and JB. Age 60 has meant that the FO wages better be livable, because some of us are going to be on them for a while. I think we got a shot across the industry on these next contracts for some serious improvements...

Its not a question of whether guys will leave their company or their industry. Its happening already.

Skybus? Nobody will stay. They'll fill some classes with some new meat that want A320 type ratings, but just as JB is having a hard time filling classes as the train has slowed and rapid upgrades aren't happening--Skybus will see the same thing.

Also well said...

The days of rapid upgrades and crappy FO wages are numbered.. 60% should be the minimum target, and with wages depressed to begin with, this is even more critical.

If you already have your 1000 hours PIC then your above statement is 100 percent correct.

Who are you comparing CAL too? FedEx? SWA? I'm a little confused. I really do hope that we have a contract that will compare to FedEx and maybe we won't but I guarantee it will be better than any commuter and probably better than most of the other majors.

My point is CAL is a huge step up from any commuter. We have problems but "most" of that will get resolved in 08'.

You'll be lucky to get back to where you were before the concessionary contract. You may get a little bump, but don't expect a 20%+ raise. You'll be lucky to see 10%. Kellner has bean counters doing the work. Their not going to give away the store.

Look at the airplanes they gave Expressjet, and look at the money they thought they'd save from bringing in CHQ. The bottom line was saving a dollar, not quality of product.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It all comes down to what you want from a job. If you want the big bucks, CAL's not it. If you want quality life, I would say CAL lacks. If you live in Houston it's great. For me its quality of life. I want to spend time with the family and make a few dollars.

I've never met anyone at age 60 who says "I wish I had worked more."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back