Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL GUYS, PAY not as they stated in writting.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While we may not be at the bottom, we can see if from here.

Folks are walking from CAL and JB. Age 60 has meant that the FO wages better be livable, because some of us are going to be on them for a while. I think we got a shot across the industry on these next contracts for some serious improvements...

Its not a question of whether guys will leave their company or their industry. Its happening already.

Skybus? Nobody will stay. They'll fill some classes with some new meat that want A320 type ratings, but just as JB is having a hard time filling classes as the train has slowed and rapid upgrades aren't happening--Skybus will see the same thing.

An ex-CAL guy (left after 9 months for SWA) was in the XJT weather room yesterday telling a story that his hotel room wasn't scheduled in IAH the night before his IOE. He called scheduling and they told him it wasn't their problem and advised him to sleep in the crew room. He said it happened to 4 other guys in his new hire class.

There is no way I cold work for that place after hearing so many stories. Yes, for you history buffs, I interviewed, was hired, and turned them down when they called me with a class date. Definitely wost major IMO.

I was most concerned that nothing is going to change there for a long time.

You have obviously not worked for XJT for very long. You call CAL the worst major but are quite blind to the pile of crap you are sitting in at Express.

You have obviously not worked for XJT for very long. You call CAL the worst major but are quite blind to the pile of crap you are sitting in at Express.

I've been at XJT for a few years now, actually. Though things are just starting out with our own branded airline, I am confident at what is going on here so far for the most part.

Your CEO is wrecking what was once a good airline. First by sub-ing out all the flying when we were doing great providing your feed. Always nice to see a CHQ plane painted in United colors flying for CAL in IAH. Nice job Larry and Co. Way to honor the brand.

I can also say confidently that I would rather work for XJT until I move onto another major airline, instead of work for CAL.

Is it true that pilots are actually getting hired with CAL and leaving for SWA, FedEx, UPS, DAL? Don't bother to answer, I know they are.

Why are they doing that? It must be pretty bad at CAL.

Also, I didn't start this thread, I just answered a post, and as usual, you CAL guys are ripping me. Is it because I would rather work at XJT then CAL? Do you also rip the guys that are leaving CAL for DAL?

What gives?

I've been at XJT for a few years now, actually. Though things are just starting out with our own branded airline, I am confident at what is going on here so far for the most part.

Your CEO is wrecking what was once a good airline. First by sub-ing out all the flying when we were doing great providing your feed. Always nice to see a CHQ plane painted in United colors flying for CAL in IAH. Nice job Larry and Co. Way to honor the brand.

I can also say confidently that I would rather work for XJT until I move onto another major airline, instead of work for CAL.

Is it true that pilots are actually getting hired with CAL and leaving for SWA, FedEx, UPS, DAL? Don't bother to answer, I know they are.

Why are they doing that? It must be pretty bad at CAL.

Also, I didn't start this thread, I just answered a post, and as usual, you CAL guys are ripping me. Is it because I would rather work at XJT then CAL? Do you also rip the guys that are leaving CAL for DAL?

What gives?

I am not going to criticize you for what you have said. Like they say, to each his own. However, I have been here for almost 2 years and this has been the best job I have ever had in this business. This is my 6th airline so I do have a lot to compare it to. Yes, there are some issues that need to be addressed in our next contract negotiations (PBS, compensation, etc..) but every company has its issues. There are a lot of things that we do here that were never done at some of the other places that I worked at. I am very happy with my decision to come here and I plan to finish my career here. By the way, there are quite a few people leaving other airlines to come here also (Airtran, Jetblue, etc..) so it is happening to all airlines. Everyone has their reasons.

I am not going to criticize you for what you have said. Like they say, to each his own. However, I have been here for almost 2 years and this has been the best job I have ever had in this business. This is my 6th airline so I do have a lot to compare it to. Yes, there are some issues that need to be addressed in our next contract negotiations (PBS, compensation, etc..) but every company has its issues. There are a lot of things that we do here that were never done at some of the other places that I worked at. I am very happy with my decision to come here and I plan to finish my career here. By the way, there are quite a few people leaving other airlines to come here also (Airtran, Jetblue, etc..) so it is happening to all airlines. Everyone has their reasons.

Six airlines, and you don't see the problem with starting over again at $30K and paying for your own health insurance. We've done it to ourselves.... nobody to blame but ourselves.....

$25,894.08 per year first year, plus you have to pay for your own health insurance..... is it any wonder that people are leaving for SWA.....

Well deduct the price of 'One 737 type rating' and it seems pretty much the same s**t to me. And they pay for insurance after 6 months, not a year. True the first year pay sucks but remember that this is the concessionary contract. If you look at the numbers, CAL kept most of our pilots after 9/11 and brought everyone back as quick as they could.

I have worked for at least 8 companies in my aviation career and CAL has treated me the best of all of them.

By the way, if you know anything about airline flying you would know that 72 hrs is just the guarantee. Without putting out much effort at all, you will easily make 35k the first year... and no Koolaid or type rating required.

Last edited:
CAL has always had sub-par pay even before 9/11 with a weak pilot group. Any place that lets scabs be union officals should raise some flags.

Koolaid required

Well deduct the price of 'One 737 type rating' and it seems pretty much the same s**t to me. And they pay for insurance after 6 months, not a year. True the first year pay sucks but remember that this is the concessionary contract. If you look at the numbers, CAL kept most of our pilots after 9/11 and brought everyone back as quick as they could.

I have worked for at least 8 companies in my aviation career and CAL has treated me the best of all of them.

By the way, if you know anything about airline flying you would know that 72 hrs is just the guarantee. Without putting out much effort at all, you will easily make 35k the first year... and no Koolaid or type rating required.

Just so we keep the facts straight. If you like CAL then it's great you're there. SWA Facts = Year one, no less than $50k first year, pay and bennies start at hire date, Reserve for 2 months, 15-16 min. days off on reserve. Year two, no less than $90k. Year 3, no less than $100k. These numbers are base just on flying 95TFP or less. The average is 110TFP/mo.

Skywriter,

Give the letter to your Contract Admin or Grievance Committee Chairman. He/she will take care of it. Since you're not the only pilot on probation who received the letter, ALPA can fix it without putting you on the skyline.

Use your resources.

I cannot speak to your letter but mine was as follows.

"Aircraft and base assignments will be established on the second day using class seniority. Class seniority is determined by your date of birth, with the oldest being the most senior in the class. The B737 is the normal starting equipment, but it is not unusual for a new hire to be awarded a B757/B767 position. First year pay is $29.97 per hour, regardless of the equipment flown, with a minimum pay guarantee of 76 hours per month as a reserve pilot; however, if you are awarded the Guam base and commit to an 18-month stay, you will receive second year pay on arrival in Guam. Second year pay for a reserve pilot is $58.44 per hour with a 76 hour per month guarantee. In addition, Guam pilots receive a Cost of Living Allowance of $1100 per month."

In this case it was pretty clear to me that the pay was for a reserve pilot. It has been my experience that while in training you get training pay, at least that is the way it has worked in the three airline jobs I had prior to this.

Latest resources

Back