Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL GUYS, PAY not as they stated in writting.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just suck it up for now, get off probation and call in sick for a couple 4 days...You're going to get your money one way or another...Airlines never seem to understand that.

Just Food for thought

First year pay at Continental : $27,360
First Year at SWA: $48,672 - $7,000 for type = $41,672 plis you do not have to pay COBRA to keep your family insured......

All based on min gaurantee 737

In short over your first 4 years at CAL you will make $190,000 (min on 73) SWA you will make $320,000 (min on 73) at CJC you can make $225,000 on the Q over the next 4 years as a Captain....something to think about when you jump ship for CAL.

You can get insured with other plans that they offer on day one. You don't have to buy COBRA. The whole insurance thing is blown out of proportion. Mostly by people who don't work at CAL and don't know. You can get insured for less than what you will pay once on CAL's insurance. You will have a high deductible, that's all. You're not left in the cold.

You forgot to add the upgrade time at CAL right now may be as low as two years. Junior captain is a 2001 hire with approx 4 years of furlough time. He is making more that $50/hr. So first year $27,000. Second year $65,000. He is a captain now for years three and four, $140,000 x 2 = $280,000. $280,000 + $65,000 + $27,000 = $372,000. Than add into that about 8 on time bonus checks at $65 dollars a pop for and additional $2080 and you now have $374,000 over four years. He may make a few cents more on per diem so lets make it $374,352.69.

You like SWA and thats peachy. I like it here at CAL and that's swell. Can't we all just get along.

If you say that you've never seen a probie fired at all, then yes, you are ignorant on the subject. So a lawyer that has never seen someone get a lethal injection can't argue for or against the death penalty? I went thru my memory banks - yes I did see one fired for stealing from a shop in DCA while in uniform. How about we both stick to what we know. You stick with mil stuff and I'll stick with civ. Just because you've sat around the crewroom 5 years ago does not make you an expert on major airlines. Maby an expert on being furlougheed. Seems you've been furloughed longer than flying the line.Either you haven't noticed or you don't know many pilots. I know tons of pilots. Good, you get the "knows the most pilots" award. So by your statement that you've never known a probie to be fired indicates that you do not have the ability and background to discuss this subject. Wrong again.
How many airlines have I been employed by? Two. But I know hundreds of pilots at all different airlines.

The problem here is that you do not know if the original poster draws attention to themselves on a regular basis. If so, the very best recommendation is that they keep a low profile for a year.
SOVT has posted the letter that he received from CAL; this whole thread is because the original poster was unable to comprehend the concept of being a reserve pilot vs being in training. You've never misread something? That tells me that the original poster is not the sharpest knife in the drawer (harsh statement, but the letter is clear enough). Based on this, I would say that the very best advice that could be given to the original poster is to have a low profile for a year.

Seems that someone cant have another opinion than yourself. That's pretty weak. Some of our opinions can be right or wrong, but to call someone ignorant or "not the sharpest knife in the drawer for a small oversight is a bit pompous dont ya think?

Last edited:
All based on min gaurantee 737

In short over your first 4 years at CAL you will make $190,000 (min on 73) SWA you will make $320,000 (min on 73) at CJC you can make $225,000 on the Q over the next 4 years as a Captain....something to think about when you jump ship for CAL.

Did you compare CJC's and CAL for the next 25 years? There are a lot more factors to consider before you look at worst case scenario. As a new hire you could get the 757/767 or the 777. If you were awarded the 737 as a new hire you can jump to the 757/767 or 777 on the next bid. You will also receive a profit sharing check. Last year was about a months pay. This year it should be more because we made money in the first quarter compared to a big loss last year.

You also have to look at movement. In a 1.5 years I am only 350 numbers from Captain in EWR. I should hold that within the next 2 years (worst case). I understand that it's all subject to change tomorrow but if there is a drastic change it will be industry wide, not just at CAL.

I'm not happy about flying 90 hours a month but we are so short staffed that you should be looking at at least 85 hours a month for pay, not 72. That doesn't change the crappy hourly rate but it will help you through the tough first year.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to come here. It was a tough decision for me to be honest with you but you can't base your decision on Airlinepilotpay.com. I'm glad I made the move but I was hired at the beginning of the hiring so maybe I'm a little more biased.

Good Luck.

Seems that someone cant have another opinion than yourself. That's pretty week. Some of our opinions can be right or wrong, but to call someone ignorant or "not the sharpest knife in the drawer for a small oversight is a bit pompous dont ya think?

I think you've proved his point quite well. Maybe you'll re-read your post, then think a little. Maybe run a spell checker or two. It's interesting how many of you Southwest Pukes think you've got this thing all figured out. The arrogance will diminish rapidly when the rest of the industry returns to normal. Once again, I don't expect you to understand, cause UND, Riddle, or which ever rock you snaked through didn't elicit history, just arrogance it seems.

I think you've proved his point quite well. Maybe you'll re-read your post, then think a little. Maybe run a spell checker or two. It's interesting how many of you Southwest Pukes think you've got this thing all figured out. The arrogance will diminish rapidly when the rest of the industry returns to normal. Once again, I don't expect you to understand, cause UND, Riddle, or which ever rock you snaked through didn't elicit history, just arrogance it seems.

Thankx. You got to my "week" before I did. My finger studderd on the "e." It's fixed. Please explain how I showed arrogance and what makes me a "Southwest Puke." Why the hostility? I don't believe I "snaked" thru anything to get where I am. What makes you say that?

Just for Grins. Here is one of your previous posts. "Man oh man, it would be nice if this was an expansion time again, with descent contracts to follow. I guess I'm in Cinderella land, hanging with the bunny smoking from the hookah."

We're all human. I enjoy my job, I hope you and Andy enjoy yours.

Last edited:
Pocono, I am glad you decided not to accept the job offer at CAL. I do not understand why you decided to take the interview though? Maybe to practice for the "big" day?

Look, I have been at CAL for less than 2 years, I have over 1000 pilots below me on the seniority list. That is a really good number, and we will continue to hire here. I can't defend what this pilot group voted on, we all know the contract sucks.

There is so much potential here at CAL. I truly believe we will be industry leaders. You did not make a mistake not accepting the CAL job offer, you made a mistake not understanding the airline industry.

Has SWA always been the top airline to work for? Nope. and I do not think CAL will always be the worse.

I can also say confidently that I would rather work for XJT until I move onto another major airline, instead of work for CAL.

Is it true that pilots are actually getting hired with CAL and leaving for SWA, FedEx, UPS, DAL? Don't bother to answer, I know they are.

Why are they doing that? It must be pretty bad at CAL.
Seriously now. Stop slamming CAL you are just making yourself look petty and immature by doing this.

Sound familiar?

There are ups and downs to every place but, honestly, you're just making yourself look petty and immature.

Guys, guys, guys.... I received a response back rather quickly. From you, but also from the powers within, and it was an honest mistake. Yes the letter did read exactly as I stated, and they were thankful that it was brought to there attention so it could be corrected. There was an individual that did respond quoting his letter. His letter was apparently different than the letter the last (many) classes received. There were two sentences left out just prior to his bold section talking of 76 garantee for reserve. I too had that part, but the two sentences that were in question were specifically the two sentences prior to that. They stated that "Training pay is calculated at 76 hours per month for a full monh of training." I can handle errors, and apologies, as long as they were true errors, and corrections are made. Am I bitter, no, am I happy to be at CAL. MOST CERTAINLY.. Did I make the right choice coming here, you betcha... I chose to come here. Will there ever be a situation at a company that you are employed at that something doesn't make sense or needs to be fixed. You betcha, but it's how you handle that specific event and remember that mistakes are made. Yes even we make mistakes guys. All of you have great beliefs, and opinions. Most are worthy because of your own past experiences. I have worked at better than 6 airlines prior and can truly say that in my experience so far CAL has been the best so far and hope it continues to be just that. Ever person's situation is different and different things work for different people. PoconoPilot, I have watched your posts through just about every post, and you are truly very bitter, a true pesimist. I really feel that you would/could find the bad in just about ever place you work. Not only find it, but harp on it so you drag others down. Please, find a way to make the industry better, rather than talk down about your fellow pilots, and more so, YOUR CHOSEN PROFFESSION.. Thank you all for your comments and input, again I realize I am one of the new guys, but I think that any situation can be worked through if handled correctly, and I do believe that CAL was genuine in there response and sorry for the error. It was also corrected for future classes. That's what it was, and positive came from it.... I did make the right choice coming here and do feel that CAL is certainly better positioned than almost all other airlines, and my potential is greater here than almost anywhere else. Some of you I have responded privately back to. Thank you. I look forward to possibly flying with you some day on the line. Keep up the good work. I am here by choice, and glad to be. Could things get better, yes. Could things be worse, yes. What a great opportunity CAL has, and what a great opportunity we have at CAL. No true improvement can be made if we are always fighting each other. No this is not a let's all be a happy family chat", but come on. I had a genuine concern and I respect the professional responses. POCONOPILOT, YOU NEED HELP!!!!! thanks again all.....

Latest resources

Back