Bull Sh*t Resumes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atlcrashpad said:
Hiring Now for Flight Officer Positions!
Louisville, KY UNITED STATES
Minimum Requirements:
  • Hold a current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
  • Hold a current ATP certificate OR hold an ATP written with a commercial pilot airplane multiengine land certificate with instrument certificate
  • Hold a current flight engineer written or current flight engineer certificate
  • Have a minimum of 1500 hours of total flight time
  • Have a minimum of 1000 hours pilot in command (PIC) hours in fixed-
    wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop.
  • To have and to hold...wasn't it Celine Dione that said, "Let dem touch dose tings!"?

If a CFI could not log PIC, what's the point of being a CFI?? I don't think there would be any! That's the traditional path of building time, get you CFI and instruct. I can't believe that some people would let their employer tell them what they can and cannot log! Give me a break! My logbook always stays at home in a safe place. What I put in my logbook is my business, noone elses! I would tell that employer to stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm giving instruction, I'm rated in the aircraft, I'm logging PIC! I still don't see how that looks shady!

Employer

a&p said:
If a CFI could not log PIC, what's the point of being a CFI?? I don't think there would be any! That's the traditional path of building time, get you CFI and instruct. I can't believe that some people would let their employer tell them what they can and cannot log! Give me a break! My logbook always stays at home in a safe place. What I put in my logbook is my business, noone elses! I would tell that employer to stick it where the sun don't shine. I'm giving instruction, I'm rated in the aircraft, I'm logging PIC! I still don't see how that looks shady!

The FAA doesn't say you cannot log PIC from the right seat. The possible employer just won't count it. They can do what they want. SWA doesn't count Helicopter time or glider time. That's their right even though I have over 2000 hrs helicopter. Hey, that's not fair, 2000 off my totals doesn't make me as competitive anymore. Can I just log it as F/W PIC instead? Some of you might say "Yes".

And to respond to your statement of "What I put in my logbook is my business, noone elses!" The FAA has the right to inspect your log books, it is "Their" business.

Last edited:
ATL has made some good points. I currently and have in the past, been responsible for pilot hiring. One thing I do when I get resumes is to break them down into three groups. Prime Candidates, Will look at's and space cadets. I have a special filing place for space cadets. The biggest thing that will put a resume into my space cadet file is times that don't make sense compared to the flying the pilot is doing. Total time, PIC, instrument, night, etc should be of reasonable values. Example:

CFI from Florida 2000 TT 200 ME 260 Instrument

Commuter FO New England 2000 TT 500 ME 190 Instrument

Both of these pilots raise flags. Can you see why? The first one is way out of wack compared to his flying position and his area. How is he coming up with these times and what else is off? The second is quite low compared to his job. Is he in the habit of dodging trips?

It may seem unfair, but there is a great deal of competition for entry level pilot positions and one needs to thin out the pile quickly. Remember that the people looking at the resumes only spend on average less an a minute on each resume. If it seems out of the norms it is quite likely it will be discarded.

The whole Part 61 PIC as sole manipulator time is lame. Granted you are just ffollowing the regs but it is still lame. Same thing with sim time as total time..which it isnt!

Rick1128 said:
ATL has made some good points. I currently and have in the past, been responsible for pilot hiring. One thing I do when I get resumes is to break them down into three groups. Prime Candidates, Will look at's and space cadets. I have a special filing place for space cadets. The biggest thing that will put a resume into my space cadet file is times that don't make sense compared to the flying the pilot is doing. Total time, PIC, instrument, night, etc should be of reasonable values. Example:

CFI from Florida 2000 TT 200 ME 260 Instrument

Commuter FO New England 2000 TT 500 ME 190 Instrument

Both of these pilots raise flags. Can you see why? The first one is way out of wack compared to his flying position and his area. How is he coming up with these times and what else is off? The second is quite low compared to his job. Is he in the habit of dodging trips?

It may seem unfair, but there is a great deal of competition for entry level pilot positions and one needs to thin out the pile quickly. Remember that the people looking at the resumes only spend on average less an a minute on each resume. If it seems out of the norms it is quite likely it will be discarded.
Is actual or simulated instrument specified?

Well for what it's worth, I understood what ATL meant from his original post on the subject. For that particular example's times, it looks fishy -- it would at least bear looking into to see if that person has been flying single pilot freight for the past few thousand hours.

It was obvious that the scenario presented does not have anything to do with low-time pilots (ie, 1500 hours or less, give or take) since the time discrepancy for them is the norm...not sure why people felt the need to argue the obvious there.

But with 4000+ hours, unless you were flying single pilot somewhere, you are going to end up with SIC time. That's kinda a given in most circumstances.

Standby 1 said:
Well for what it's worth, I understood what ATL meant from his original post on the subject. For that particular example's times, it looks fishy -- it would at least bear looking into to see if that person has been flying single pilot freight for the past few thousand hours.

It was obvious that the scenario presented does not have anything to do with low-time pilots (ie, 1500 hours or less, give or take) since the time discrepancy for them is the norm...not sure why people felt the need to argue the obvious there.

But with 4000+ hours, unless you were flying single pilot somewhere, you are going to end up with SIC time. That's kinda a given in most circumstances.

Just for arguments sake...whats the difference between the 1500 hour low time CFI...and the 1500 hour CFI that got a job flying single pilot freight for a few years and now has 4000 hours?

I understand why they raise the BS flag, they have to in order to make their job tolerable and efficient...I would just hate to see my resume thrown in the garbage for something like this.

Anyone wanna let me fly a few hundred hours SIC for them? ;)

gkrangers said:
Just for arguments sake...whats the difference between the 1500 hour low time CFI...and the 1500 hour CFI that got a job flying single pilot freight for a few years and now has 4000 hours?

I understand why they raise the BS flag, they have to in order to make their job tolerable and efficient...I would just hate to see my resume thrown in the garbage for something like this.

Anyone wanna let me fly a few hundred hours SIC for them? ;)

Read my post again...did I not note the single pilot exception???

Latest resources

Back