Bull Sh*t Resumes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Doesn't say the CFI has to agree to anything about designating anyone. I can designate myself PIC for all that regulation states....

As for the who's responsible...I don't know. If I'm certified to fly the aircraft, and am sole manipulator of the controls, I'm in charge as far as I'm concerned, unless some prior agreement has been made. (As it would work in the Captain/FO world?)

I smell an Acting vs Logging PIC debate.

gkranger,

You designate yourself? I bet if you asked the CFI, he/she whould say different. As for responsibility in an accident or incident I believe there is case law already on that. I look around for some NTSB or FAA ruling and get back with you. There should be no debate on Acting vs. Logging if you are acting as then you can log as. If you are not, then you cannot. You don't loose any Total time it is a matter of PIC /Dual received/SIC should equal Total. Period.

gkrangers said:
I still don't think your intention holds much weight.

Even if you want to take my dual/PIC away from me, now I have around 100 dual non PIC. In a few years, I have 1000-2000 PIC from instructing...with around 100 hours of non PIC time, from the dual.

So now is 100 hours of non PIC "ok", is that better than 53? Or does that also raise an eyebrow?

What raises eyebrows is a guy with 5000 hr TT and 4950 hr PIC. It's BS. Very rarely does a guy get his ratings in minimum times. Dual received should be logged as dual not PIC. If your a CFI, then PIC when instructing.

But we see guys with anywhere from 90-95% time is PIC even in his multi. Even worse when it's turbine. We know there is not an insurance policy that will cover anybody below certain times and to say the least without formal training in the aircraft type. ie.. Flight Safety, Simcom, Simuflight.

These guys shw up with 900 multi 850 turbine and 840 is PIC. It looks like he's fluffed his times and his resume get put to the side. Log it right and you may get asked to explain it during your interview. Log it wrong and not even a second look.

I'm not trying to cut anybody down, just saying hey watch how you present it on your resume.

atlcrashpad said:
gkranger,

You designate yourself? I bet if you asked the CFI, he/she whould say different. As for responsibility in an accident or incident I believe there is case law already on that. I look around for some NTSB or FAA ruling and get back with you. There should be no debate on Acting vs. Logging if you are acting as then you can log as. If you are not, then you cannot. You don't loose any Total time it is a matter of PIC /Dual received/SIC should equal Total. Period.
Essentially your point is that a pilot must satisfy all the requirements of 1.1 and 61.51 in order to log PIC, correct?

121 is different

gkrangers said:
Doesn't say the CFI has to agree to anything about designating anyone. I can designate myself PIC for all that regulation states....

As for the who's responsible...I don't know. If I'm certified to fly the aircraft, and am sole manipulator of the controls, I'm in charge as far as I'm concerned, unless some prior agreement has been made. (As it would work in the Captain/FO world?)

I smell an Acting vs Logging PIC debate.

As it works in the Captain/FO world? If you are refering to Part 121, Capt is PIC no matter who is on the controls. I sign the flight release and the FAA says ALL the PIC Time is mine. FO is SIC all the time.

atlcrashpad said:
What raises eyebrows is a guy with 5000 hr TT and 4950 hr PIC. It's BS. Very rarely does a guy get his ratings in minimum times. Dual received should be logged as dual not PIC. If your a CFI, then PIC when instructing.

But we see guys with anywhere from 90-95% time is PIC even in his multi. Even worse when it's turbine. We know there is not an insurance policy that will cover anybody below certain times and to say the least without formal training in the aircraft type. ie.. Flight Safety, Simcom, Simuflight.

These guys shw up with 900 multi 850 turbine and 840 is PIC. It looks like he's fluffed his times and his resume get put to the side. Log it right and you may get asked to explain it during your interview. Log it wrong and not even a second look.

I'm not trying to cut anybody down, just saying hey watch how you present it on your resume.
Then why is it the way "everyone" (generalizing here) seems to do it?

atlcrashpad said:
As it works in the Captain/FO world? If you are refering to Part 121, Capt is PIC no matter who is on the controls. I sign the flight release and the FAA says ALL the PIC Time is mine. FO is SIC all the time.
Thats what I mean...even if the FO does everything, you still log PIC.

Greedy prick. ;)

gkrangers said:
Essentially your point is that a pilot must satisfy all the requirements of 1.1 and 61.51 in order to log PIC, correct?

gkrangers,

That's the way the FAR's were explained to me. There is always a chance that I'm wrong. If so, I'll admit it. But if not, please be careful how you log your times. Call your local FSDO and layout the debate. You don't have to give your name. Just ask an Ops inspector about Part 1.1 and Part 61.51, logging of times PIC and Dual received. Total time will not change.

Rules

gkrangers said:
Thats what I mean...even if the FO does everything, you still log PIC.

Greedy prick. ;)

That's the rules... I lived with it as an FO. Although I thought I knew more than most of my Captains. I'm sure my FO's think the same as I did..:rolleyes:

atlcrashpad said:
gkrangers,

That's the way the FAR's were explained to me. There is always a chance that I'm wrong. If so, I'll admit it. But if not, please be careful how you log your times. Call your local FSDO and layout the debate. You don't have to give your name. Just ask an Ops inspector about Part 1.1 and Part 61.51, logging of times PIC and Dual received. Total time will not change.
It might not be a bad idea. But I bet I can talk to a few different inspectors and get a few different answers. Tho it seems like it would be something they have a canned response for.

Good debate, back to my homework. How ADS-B, CPDLC, and WAAS can improve safety with regards to instrument flight...

gkrangers,

You are absolutly right, you may get different responses from different inspectors. Heck, you can always call the FAA in OKC. As with anything interpretation is different with everybody.

I just don't want you young guys (My replacements) to screw yourselves out of a chance for the best job in the world. 121 Flying is the "Tops". You are going to love it, it beats working for a living. Let me know what you find out. You can PM me, or if I'm wrong you can post it for everyone to see. Like I said, if I'm wrong I'll admit it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back