• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brakes work...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I swear some of you guys feel like you own these planes. Brakes/full reversers who gives a crap. Unless your making monthly payments on an RJ who cares.

I swear some of you guys feel like you own these planes. Brakes/full reversers who gives a crap. Unless your making monthly payments on an RJ who cares.

As a professional airline pilot, you're supposed to fly the airplane per your FOM/GOM in the manner your company dictates. If the manner they want you to fly involves an effort to save unnecessary wear on expensive parts like brakes and/or engines, and it doesn't compromise safety, then so be it...

Airline pilots (and for that matter, airline management) truly don't understand that one can save (or cost) more money with the thrust levers than an entire crew's annual compensation...

As a professional airline pilot, you're supposed to fly the airplane per your FOM/GOM in the manner your company dictates. If the manner they want you to fly involves an effort to save unnecessary wear on expensive parts like brakes and/or engines, and it doesn't compromise safety, then so be it...

Airline pilots (and for that matter, airline management) truly don't understand that one can save (or cost) more money with the thrust levers than an entire crew's annual compensation...

LOLOL yea I've heard that before, one less furloughed pilot if you fly at .74 instead of .78? HHAHAHAHAHA seriously man. You may fly corporate and that's different but for we don't own these planes, there's no need to go out of your way to help save the company money particularly in the case of the OP.

LOLOL yea I've heard that before

I'd certainly hope you've heard that you're supposed to fly your company's aircraft the way the company tells you to...

one less furloughed pilot if you fly at .74 instead of .78?

I wasn't necessarily talking about cruise speed and the subsequent fuel burn; most traditional fee-for-departure regional contracts have the mainline paying for fuel anyway. I was talking more about flex thrust takeoffs and climbs, and using minimal (idle) reverse thrust when it makes operational sense.

What's your incentive to save the company money? They have lower costs (more growth opportunities) and are more profitable (great for job security and better if you own stock), but if you're the typical "me-first" type look no further than self-preservation: the more money in their pocket from operational savings means less need to come after your paycheck.

But ultimately, it comes down to professionalism...you work for the company, the company doesn't work for you. As such, fly the damn plane per the book the way you're trained and expected to....it isn't exactly rocket science.

Also known as the Captain being too poor of a pilot to match up with the FO as the transfer is taking place. Not exactly that hard...

Or you're flying with First Officer "Your Plane!", I've had that happen as well.

Also known as the Captain being too poor of a pilot to match up with the FO as the transfer is taking place. Not exactly that hard...

Goes both ways boss, heavy braking after landing followed by a ninja-fast, feets to da floor brake release a millisecond after el Capitan says "I have the controls" does not a smoooth transfer make...

Your check pilot is an idiot. Follow what ATC tells you they don't pay you enough to worry about break costs.

I can only imagine how much our breaks cost the company, we have a 2 to 3 hour one built into our schedules almost every day! Fortunately I'm able to take out my frustrations on the brakes when my break is over so it's all good...

Let's face it.. there are some good pilots out there and there are some really bad pilots out there... But something we can all agree on is that nearly all the women pilots are horrible.

I can only imagine how much our breaks cost the company, we have a 2 to 3 hour one built into our schedules almost every day! Fortunately I'm able to take out my frustrations on the brakes when my break is over so it's all good...

idiot.

Latest resources

Back