Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired,

While I fully agree with you that we don't have the facts yet, do you really mean that comment about "Big. Frikin. Deal."?

It was an unfortunate choice of words.

Perhaps a better way of saying it would be "No harm, no foul?"

If the FAA rules that they were asleep (which I still doubt), they will be reprimanded.

As for loved ones in the back: I already know that this happens far more often than anyone cares to admit. Not in Hawaii on the short hops, but on the red-eye camping trips state-side. I'm not happy about it at all, it IS a big deal, but ultimately, I have to judge this incident in isolation, and the end results are:

No one was hurt. Mesa was embarrassed in the eyes of the media and the flying public. It's not a big enough deal to spur any regulatory changes, and that's a g-danged shame.

Soverytired,

While I fully agree with you that we don't have the facts yet, do you really mean that comment about "Big. Frikin. Deal."?

Lets say for a minute that the facts come out that they were in fact asleep, would you still feel this way?

Would you feel this way if you or your loved ones were flying in back (and facts presented that they were in fact asleep)?

Not arguing your points about crew rest and poor scheduling or poor sleep/social habits of the flight crews or combination of the former. But as a professional aviator can you honestly say that two pilots falling asleep at the controls is no big deal, again if the investigation proves this to be so?

Your avatar is amazing.

excellent post.. i think you've summed it up right there.

this mindset:

is why have to wait for blood to get anything done.

Yep, maybe thats why the FAA has sent us all the runway incursion stuff....with ASA crossing an active runway and all.

Yep, maybe thats why the FAA has sent us all the runway incursion stuff....with ASA crossing an active runway and all.

haha yea.. you mean that stuff most people threw into the trash? i'm sure that was a great day at the FAA head office. it must have went something like this:

Fed #1: hey, what can we do to limit incursions?

Fed #2: i know! lets send everyone a letter telling them not to do it!

Fed #1: brilliant! lets take the rest of the day off!

Fed #2: brilliant!

:rolleyes:

more than likely all that stuff is just a set up to help hang the next people that do it. at the next hearing the feds will be saying "we told you once, and then we told you twice...."

Thx for the update. Do you seriously think that these turkeys were asleep on a 20 minute flight though?

:blush: I wish there was a "sleeping" avatar. This is the best I could do.

D8D: Brilliant post.

Looks like there is going to be more sleeping pilots with the inevitable meth shortage since the J.D. bust.

Mesa might have to send in the next airplane back to Phoenix for heavy checks a little sooner than planned.

I bet they can hide way more than 50 lbs of meth in a CRJ being ferried back to Hawaii.

Latest resources

Back