• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless you were in the cockpit, you don't have the facts, neither does the press, and there are literally dozens of other things that might have been taking place.

True. However, having witnessed so many Mesa mishaps - and, granted stupid things can happen to anyone - I wasn't shocked when I saw this post.

For instance, a while back, a Mesa CRJ didn't know that they went past the localizer, in ROA, a very mountaineous area, until the controler kindly pointed out this minor detail to them.

None of us were in their cockpit at the time -- True.

Everyone make stupid mistakes -- True.

No one is perfect -- True.

All the other catch-alls -- True.

Mesa is Mesa -- True.

Last edited:
Really? Here they are in contract negotiations, and instead of support from their ALPA "brothers", flightinfo is awash in a lot of anti-Mesa smack talk.

How about a little encouragement while they try to fight and raise the bar for everyone?

Can you honestly, possibly believe that MESA will "raise the bar for everyone"?????

Last edited:
"Mesa" and "raise the bar" do not belong in the same sentence together. Raising the bar would have been refusing to help JO with his slash-and-burn operation in Hawai'i to begin with.

Although I have come to sympathize with the "damage" JO's Go! operation has done to the "home grown" airlines in Hawaii, I think you need to be very careful distinguishing between the pilot group and the actions of the airline.

There is nothing Mesa pilots could have done to hinder this operation, short of a "work action", which is utterly illegal. This is not the first time other carriers have whined about Mesa pilots, instead of pointing the finger at Mesa management.
  • Mesa pilots called "scabs" when they flew CRJ's into Cincinnati during the Comair strike (hint: they didn't fly Delta or Delta routes at the time)
  • Mesa pilots were called "scabs" when they flew DHC-8's into CLT when CCAir was acquired and shut down
  • Mesa pilots are called "scabs", or neo-scabs anyway, for flying routes in Hawaii.
For the first two instances, ALPA reps were consulted regarding the feasibility of Mesa pilots refusing to fly said routes and work, and both times they were told that ALPA would not back "work actions" against what was legal behavior on behalf of the airline.

It's very easy to ask another pilot group to fight your battles. Resist the temptation and fight your own.

Which, the Hawaiian and Aloha pilots certainly have. They've done a marvelous job making Mesa choke on this ill-conceived Hawaiian plan. $100 million dollar judgment and more on the way . . . and yet still some persist in blaming the Mesa pilots.

What would you have them do?

Can you honestly, possibly believe that MESA will "raise the bar for everyone"?????

Honestly? I think if ALPA and it's members believed their own propaganda, Mesa pilots have so much leverage right now that they could pretty much write their own contract. For example:

• They're hemorrhaging pilots
  • Pilot supply is low.
  • Their contract talks are perfectly timed for a soon-to-be all democrat (re: labor friendly) federal government. Can you say "strike"?
  • Legacy/LCC/Major growth is slowing due to economic recession, the age 65 rule, and widespread mergers
They're going to be very aware that they'll be stuck there for a long time, as will most regional pilots.

Instead of bashing them non-stop, how about jumping on the ALPA bandwagon and encouraging them with your support? I'm no friend of ALPA, yet even I accept that collective bargaining and credible strike threats are the way this business operates.

What's good for them is good for you. Wouldn't you agree?

Although I have come to sympathize with the "damage" JO's Go! operation has done to the "home grown" airlines in Hawaii, I think you need to be very careful distinguishing between the pilot group and the actions of the airline.

There is nothing Mesa pilots could have done to hinder this operation, short of a "work action", which is utterly illegal. This is not the first time other carriers have whined about Mesa pilots, instead of pointing the finger at Mesa management.
  • Mesa pilots called "scabs" when they flew CRJ's into Cincinnati during the Comair strike (hint: they didn't fly Delta or Delta routes at the time)
  • Mesa pilots were called "scabs" when they flew DHC-8's into CLT when CCAir was acquired and shut down
  • Mesa pilots are called "scabs", or neo-scabs anyway, for flying routes in Hawaii.
For the first two instances, ALPA reps were consulted regarding the feasibility of Mesa pilots refusing to fly said routes and work, and both times they were told that ALPA would not back "work actions" against what was legal behavior on behalf of the airline.

It's very easy to ask another pilot group to fight your battles. Resist the temptation and fight your own.

Which, the Hawaiian and Aloha pilots certainly have. They've done a marvelous job making Mesa choke on this ill-conceived Hawaiian plan. $100 million dollar judgment and more on the way . . . and yet still some persist in blaming the Mesa pilots.

What would you have them do?

Not go to work there in the first place perhaps?!

Honestly? I think if ALPA and it's members believed their own propaganda, Mesa pilots have so much leverage right now that they could pretty much write their own contract. For example:

• They're hemorrhaging pilots
  • Pilot supply is low.
  • Their contract talks are perfectly timed for a soon-to-be all democrat (re: labor friendly) federal government. Can you say "strike"?
  • Legacy/LCC/Major growth is slowing due to economic recession, the age 65 rule, and widespread mergers
They're going to be very aware that they'll be stuck there for a long time, as will most regional pilots.

Instead of bashing them non-stop, how about jumping on the ALPA bandwagon and encouraging them with your support? I'm no friend of ALPA, yet even I accept that collective bargaining and credible strike threats are the way this business operates.

What's good for them is good for you. Wouldn't you agree?

I've never bashed them... I have suggested that there are many other jobs that don't entail working for a crook who has helped lower the standards for the entire industry!

It's tough for me to believe that those guys didn't have any choice but to go there. Even if you make a mistake of ending up there initially due to ignorance, it's not that tough to go elsewhere afterwards. At regional level, flying jobs are dime a dozen.

Really? Here they are in contract negotiations, and instead of support from their ALPA "brothers", flightinfo is awash in a lot of anti-Mesa smack talk.

How about a little encouragement while they try to fight and raise the bar for everyone?

That's a good one. We're all still coping with the aftermath of their last go 'round with the "bar."

Latest resources

Back