• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least JO can still say that he hasn't killed anyone this year. So thank god its still more dangerous to take a shower then fly on mesa.

You Stay classy JO ;)

I was on board that flight deadheading home. The FA had to bang on the door to wake them up.

Really?

Well then, I should think you have an ethical responsibility to contact the FAA, advise them that you are an ATP rated pilot, and you observed some abnormalities on your flight, and that you are very concerned that basic safety procedures seemed to be lacking on that flight.

Oh . . . I wouldn't deadhead on Mesa anymore if I were you either. Seriously. I wouldn't fly on an airline that I had just reported to the FAA as dangerous.

You know what would be REALLY gutsy? Put on your pilot uniform and head down to the local news station and tell them what you observed. The flying public has a right to know, and Joe Doofus doesn't carry as much weight as Mr. Deadhead.

(Or you could just make stuff up anonymously on a web board that 50 people read)

Last edited:
Flame On T-Rex....

Oh . . . I wouldn't deadhead on Mesa anymore if I were you either. Seriously. I wouldn't fly on an airline that I had just reported to the FAA as dangerous.

(Or you could just make stuff up anonymously on a web board that 50 people read)
Or you could just make threatening comments about jumpseating on Mesa anonymously on a web board that 50 people read.

I'm convinced you're paid by JO to do nothing but sit on this site and defend all the F**KUPS.

Cheers to you for keeping up the fight though.

Does anyone feel like we need more rest?

Maybe they were legitimately tired. Of course. A 35 minute leg doesn't really seem like it would wipe many out.

I hate to defend MESA, but in reality, the issue of "rest" is becoming a major concern.

I read an article recently about the Shuttle America runway runoff situation and how the captain said he might have not received enough rest.

I'd like to speculate that we have had more accidents because a lack of rest rather than a lack of experience.

All the silly rumors, fun as they may sound, must be pure BS. However..... come on. The likelihood of a awake professional crew, on a VFR day, overflying a sea-level airport at 21000 ft., out of contact with ATC for 25 minutes on a route they probably fly almost every workday, at a regional that only serves 5 airports that are all less than an hour from each other, is almost ZERO unless something very wrong is happening in the front office.

If they really were asleep, Mesa's ALPA folks should use this event to negotiate better scheduling and duty rigs, etc. ALPA national should take it as evidence to Congress, and lobby for a reworking of the 121 duty time regs.

But, maybe someone here knows, are there even overnights at go!? Isn't the last plane on the ground at 9 or 10 or something? If so, do they regularly schedule the crews to finish late then start early the next morning at minimum rest? None of the other airlines in Hawaii do that. They all do an AM and PM shift, and you will NEVER fly an AM the day after a PM.

Now, if go! follows the same minimum rest practices as the rest of Mesa, it's pretty easy to see how tired these guys could be. Fly 8 legs, get 8 hours rest / 6 hours of sleep, wake up, fly 8 more legs. Is that how it is? Then come on Mesa ALPA, grow a pair! Get off your asses, put a stop to this fatigue BS, and protect these pilots' jobs!

Now, if it's NOT like that, scheduling at go! works the same way as all the other folks in Hawaii, and this crew had only personal reasons to be that tired, then good luck to the flight crew when the inquisition comes, and thank God they didn't kill anyone or themselves.

Either way, this incident is yet another nail in the coffin. Anyone at Mesa, take this as yet another sign to get the hell out now, before the guillotine drops. Every day you "stick it out" at Mesa is a seniority number at a better carrier that you lose to someone else who has more initiative than you. Think about it. Flee now!

Not defending the "screw-ups" here. Remember though, you don't have the facts, and neither do I. IF they truly behaved in a "careless and reckless" manner, they'll be punished by both the FAA and the company.

(If they're very lucky and well connected, ALPA might even put up a token fight for them.)

The real issue, of course, is why isn't every post on here discussing why this shouldn't be the poster-child for implementation of ALPA's published guidelines on a regulatory level?

Oh . . because some here would rather take the alleged actions of two pilots and smear a pilot group of 1600 card carrying ALPA pilots instead. And yes . . . I'll defend those 1600 pilots in a heartbeat against this kind of cripe.

You think JO cares what other pilots think about Mesa pilots? Puh-lease. "Meat in the seat", and no more. I think the Mesa pilot group for the most part ROCKS. And admittedly, I might be a bit too quick to run to their defense.

(Remember, No one got hurt, no equipment was damaged, and no loss of separation occurred. People will be punished. Big. Frikin. Deal.)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back