• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was talking to the FAA yesterday and ask questions regarding long duty times because of safety. Why are we having so much trouble lowering the max time you could be on duty. As he agreed that it has gone on too long and he was on our side, he said Washington told them to back off from this issue as these are hard economic times and the Airlines would not be able to handle this hardship. His advice was to support ALPA. They are the only voice we have. So there you have it. It cost too much to be that safe.

(Remember, No one got hurt, no equipment was damaged, and no loss of separation occurred. People will be punished. Big. Frikin. Deal.)

nice....isnt this the same excuse the FAA and ATA makes when they dont want to change a reg or fix a problem?

while its true that the people that weren't there do not know every single detail of what happened, it doesnt mean that you cant have a pretty good idea or even be right about what happened. most people here have a pretty good idea of how these planes work, the system and the work environment...pretty reasonable conclusions can be drawn.

unless HAL9000 was running the plane and it wouldnt let Dave descend or talk on the radio for the last 70 miles or so.. i think its safe to assume that they were doing something other than paying attention. especially on a message board by and for industry workers who speak from a base of experience.

the controllers in hilo only see one type of approach.. everything comes in the same way every day, day in day out. they are pretty good at calling you out on a deviation that are obviously not a part of the same old boring routine. that flight path was pretty far beyond somewhere where a controller would be asking you "WTF".

as far as the pax not knowing anything because they are in the back... this is not true. have you heard of the eskimo ndb? this is kind of the same thing. these passengers fly the same routes so many times, i'm sure some have more time on that route than some go! pilots. they know about when they should be descending... and they certainly know they are supposed to be closer to the ocean than what 21,000' looks like when they are flying past pepeekeo point or hilo.

we all know rest is an issue.. and mesa is one of the most abused in this regard. alpa will give them their defense.... trying to cover it up and pretend like nothing happened wont help fix this problem it only benefits the management.

before you call me a mesa-basher.. let me tell you this: some of my best friends are/were mesa pilots! :)

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/4222/76/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/20/eveningnews/main3854375.shtml

Have a very very nice evening
icon10.gif

Last edited:

wow..there was another incident the day before. maybe HAL-9000 wont let the pilots fly the plane or talk on the radios.

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL?
HAL: I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

This has become BIG NEWS. Even CNN is showing this on their front page.

Latest resources

Back