• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
" Ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur"? Big words. What going to law school? Are we impressed? No.

No homophobic attack intended. I always assumed you were a girl by your comments, hence my comment. Sorry about that.

Nah. I'm just assuming that I'm addressing highly trained and well-educated professionals that don't need to be spoken down-to with monosyllabic words.

My bad.

I am curious what about my posting would lead you to guess "F" for my gender box check-off. Please elaborate. Do so in a non-sexist way, if you can.

Nah. I'm just assuming that I'm addressing highly trained and well-educated professionals that don't need to be spoken down-to with monosyllabic words.

My bad.

I am curious what about my posting would lead you to guess "F" for my gender box check-off. Please elaborate. Do so in a non-sexist way, if you can.

I can't. Your constant and effeminate use of the passive possessive tense, your apparent lack of ability to understand complex logic, your tendency toward the irrational, and your tendency to compartmentalize everything led me to that conclusion. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding ma'am... uh I mean sir. Hey, even if you have no excuse for being a girlie man, at least you're saving money on Tampax.

Radio news here in Hawaii is saying the two pilots involved have been suspended.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/NEWS09/802220377/1019/NEWS09

go! pilots who overshot Hilo Airport suspended

Associated Press

Mesa Air Group said it has suspended two pilots of a go! airlines flight that overshot Hilo Airport on Wednesday.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the airline are investigating whether the pilots had fallen asleep during the incident.

The morning flight from Honolulu turned back and landed safely after overshooting the airport in Hilo by 15 miles.

Officials said air traffic controllers tracking the plane by radar were unable to contact the cockpit for 25 minutes.

Mesa has not released names of the suspended pilots but a spokesman said the captain has more than 15 years of flying experience.

An airline internal memo says the company takes seriously any occurrence that has the potential of adversely affecting normal operations of a flight.

An FAA spokesman said the agency plans to interview the pilots of the 214-mile flight. Under FAA rules, they could be subject to a warning, suspension or license revocation depending on the findings.

A radar track of the flight provided by www.flightaware.com shows that the plane remained at 21,000 feet as it flew past Hilo before returning to the airport.

Last edited:
Not defending the "screw-ups" here. Remember though, you don't have the facts, and neither do I. IF they truly behaved in a "careless and reckless" manner, they'll be punished by both the FAA and the company. ...

...(Remember, No one got hurt, no equipment was damaged, and no loss of separation occurred. People will be punished. Big. Frikin. Deal.)

Soverytired,

While I fully agree with you that we don't have the facts yet, do you really mean that comment about "Big. Frikin. Deal."?

Lets say for a minute that the facts come out that they were in fact asleep, would you still feel this way?

Would you feel this way if you or your loved ones were flying in back (and facts presented that they were in fact asleep)?

Not arguing your points about crew rest and poor scheduling or poor sleep/social habits of the flight crews or combination of the former. But as a professional aviator can you honestly say that two pilots falling asleep at the controls is no big deal, again if the investigation proves this to be so?

I know what happened. The old independence birds are fighting back, "Airplane II" style, and gassed the pilots.

Ahh, I miss those planes. I feel sorry for them out there.

This was in the paper today t-rex. Aloha.

Go! flight report finds no mechanical flaws

By Gene Park
[email protected]
The National Transportation Safety Board released a preliminary report of its investigation into a go! airlines flight that flew past the Hilo airport on Feb. 13, apparently because the two pilots fell asleep.

A check of the plane after the flight showed no problems with its pressurization system or carbon monoxide in the plane, according to the report. The NTSB also says there were 40 passengers and three crewmembers on the flight, which left Honolulu at 9:16 a.m.

Flight 1002 was at 21,000 feet when air traffic controllers made several attempts to contact the pilots. Controllers contacted the plane at about 10 a.m., but by that time the plane had flown about 15 miles past the airport. It landed safely about 15 minutes later.

The preliminary report draws no conclusions about why the plane overshot the airport.

Mesa Air Group, which owns go!, has suspended the two pilots. FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said the NTSB and the FAA are conducting separate investigations into whether the captain and first officer fell asleep during the flight.

Flight logs obtained by the Star-Bulletin say both pilots finished their Feb. 12 shift at 2:47 p.m. and returned to duty at 5:40 a.m.

the CA was a notorious "sleeper" with lots of past incidents that were reported according to some on mesahub.

JP, you are capable of a far better rebuttal than an ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur.

(That was your intent, right? I can't even say I'm offended. What are you, like 12 or something? Does anyone in the professional airline world even care about "sexual orientation" anymore?)

since this incident occured I have become gomophopic. I have a fear of getting fukced by go! Airlines

Latest resources

Back