• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both Mesa GO! pilots fall asleep during flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So am I reading these reports right, there was 2 SEPARATE incidents in the same week? So the Hilo flight overflew the field out of radio contact at 21000 feet; what about the other one at Kona? Did they deviate from their flight path, or was it just a lost comm deal?

dear mr. skellon,

fact: you are not an airline captain, you are the VP of mesa communications. if you are an airline captain, which airline are you flying at?

fact: your pee-pee must be pretty small if you have to try to impress a bunch of regional pilots by telling them how many hours you have, and that its international! woooooooooo. add on top of that the part where you try to tell everyone that you're an airline captain.

fact: your pee-pee must be pretty small if you have to try to impress a bunch of regional pilots by telling them how many hours you have
I don't know how many hours I have, but I have over 1300 posts!

Impressed yet D8D? :beer:

wow..there was another incident the day before. maybe HAL-9000 wont let the pilots fly the plane or talk on the radios.

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL?
HAL: I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Hal: wait a minite..........wait a minite The GO! unit is going to fail

This was in my company e-mail, fwiw-

February 21, 2008

Dear Fellow Employees

Much has been ‘reported’ in the media concerning an incident involving the flight crew of go! Flight 1002, operating between Honolulu and Kona, on February 13. A number of those media reports contained inaccuracies and ‘opinions’ which impact negatively on the reputation of our Company and on our people. As we communicated to you yesterday, Mesa is cooperating fully with the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) investigation which is currently under way. Both pilots have been removed from flight duties pending the outcome of that investigation, and we feel it would not be prudent to comment further until that is completed.

That being said, it is also important that we share with you some of the facts.
  • One media report out of Hawaii maintained that “the co pilot was inexperienced”
Fact: The First Officer (co pilot) has at total of 1,250 flight hours with 500 hours on the CRJ

The captain of the flight has 25,000 hours total flight experience and 8,000 hours on the CRJ. Both are experienced pilots.
  • The same media report maintains that the captain “…..was based in Nashville, but was working in Hawaii on a one week forced assignment.”
Fact: On December 17, 2007, the captain submitted a bid for temporary duty based in Hawaii in either Maui (first preference) or Kona (second preference). He has been in Hawaii since January 13

Fact: FAA Regulations provide for a minimum of 8 hours rest prior to commencement of flying duties

Fact: Three days prior to February 13 over-flight incident, the captain had a rest period of 14 hours and 55 minutes prior to commencement of his flight duty, two days prior he had a rest period of 14 hours 55 minutes and the night prior to the incident, his rest period was 14 hours and 53 minutes.

In the case of the first officer the rest periods on those same three days prior to the February 13 incident were 38 hours 52 minutes, 14 hours and 55 minutes and 14 hours 53 minutes respectively.

Fact: Federal Aviation Regulations allow for a maximum duty day of 16 hours.
The average length of duty for the captain during the three days prior to February 13 was 8 hours 39 minutes.

The average length of duty for the first officer on the two days worked prior to February 13 was 9 hours and 6 minutes. Three days prior the first officer had a day off.

As an experienced airline captain myself with more than 14,000 hours of international flight experience, mostly on Boeing 737s, I thought it was important, and might be of interest to you, if I shared these facts to correct some of the inaccuracies being reported.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Skellon
Vice President Corporate Communications
Mesa Air Group

I think I will stay with Fed. Judge Faris on anything this Company says. If you have followed the Ha vs Go! trial than you know what I mean. This company has lied and twisted the truth from the begining. Why change now?? History repeats its self..

Last edited:
dear mr. skellon,

fact: you are not an airline captain, you are the VP of mesa communications. if you are an airline captain, which airline are you flying at?

fact: your pee-pee must be pretty small if you have to try to impress a bunch of regional pilots by telling them how many hours you have, and that its international! woooooooooo. add on top of that the part where you try to tell everyone that you're an airline captain.

Not to mention "mostly on Boeing 737s". Oooooh, everyone is so impressed!

I'll acknowledge this: If it was loss comm, it was improperly handled, and that's a fact.

That said, every "other" crew's boo-boo's are an opportunities for professionals like us to remember that not only CAN "it" happen to us, it WILL, at the worst possible moment . . . . so it's best to be prepared.

Be honest . . . quick:
  • Name the light gun signals (colors, differences between airborne/ground use, what they mean, how far they can be seen day/night, etc.)
  • Name the signals you'll encounter from an Air Force intercept, and your proper procedures to respond back. Day and night please. No time for looking at your manuals . . .this is the only chance that USAF boy has for a live fire exercise and he's looking awfully eager.
  • Proper IFR lost comm procedures. You're whizzing along at 6 miles a minute and land in 10 minutes. Diagnose, or fly the plane? (Ok, fly the plane)
And so forth. However this turns out, I'm gonna look at it as a learning experience and there for the grace o'god go I. Bushing up on the basics is a good place to start.

So was it you, or your boyfriend, Soverytired (nice name by the way... "So Very Tired")?

Give it a rest. Your defense of this crew is stupid, and your implausible scenarios to excuse them are asinine.

So was it you, or your boyfriend, Soverytired (nice name by the way... "So Very Tired")?

Give it a rest. Your defense of this crew is stupid, and your implausible scenarios to excuse them are asinine.

JP, you are capable of a far better rebuttal than an ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur.

(That was your intent, right? I can't even say I'm offended. What are you, like 12 or something? Does anyone in the professional airline world even care about "sexual orientation" anymore?)

Why don't you tell me again how great ALPA safety committees and ALPA legal services are. I'm not with Mesa anymore, but based on what I've heard, there's a good chance the CA was "Freedom-A".

Convince me that ALPA will spend every dime and move every mountain to save their "ALPA member in good standing" careers.

JP, you are capable of a far better rebuttal than an ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur.

(That was your intent, right? I can't even say I'm offended. What are you, like 12 or something? Does anyone in the professional airline world even care about "sexual orientation" anymore?)

Why don't you tell me again how great ALPA safety committees and ALPA legal services are. I'm not with Mesa anymore, but based on what I've heard, there's a good chance the CA was "Freedom-A".

Convince me that ALPA will spend every dime and move every mountain to save their "ALPA member in good standing" careers.

" Ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur"? Big words. What going to law school? Are we impressed? No.

No homophobic attack intended. I always assumed you were a girl by your comments, hence my comment. Sorry about that.

" Ad hominem attack with a homophobic slur"? Big words. What going to law school? Are we impressed?

I hate to admit it but I was a teensy bit impressed since I had no f***ing idea what t-rex was saying.

Then again, I didn't really care.

Latest resources

Back