Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired,

You are wasting your time.

Make no mistake, they would throw you under a bus if it would further their cause.

It's a sad situation and is getting worse every day.

Ya think? :)

But it's not wasting time. If find pounding away and pontificating from time to time therapeutic.

Mental masturbation, if you will . . . :)

:beer: Bravo! Nicely done.

BTW, since they apparently didn't talk to anyone for 25 minutes and overflew their destination at 21k', and the FAA says they're "looking into whether the crew fell asleep" leads one to believe that they didn't squawk 7600 (refresh my memory t-rex---isn't that what you do if you go NORDO?) and they didn't follow any standard FAA procedures which, in turn, leads one to believe that they DIDN'T have a radio problem? Oh, and they apparently "fixed" the mystery radio problem before they landed, because landing without comm hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'm not passing judgement here, but c'mon. Lost comm? Puleeeeeeezeee!

Ever had a write up with "Item X operates intermittently"? Ever SHOULD have written it up but left it for the next crew?

Is it more likely that a crew fell asleep on a 25 min flight, where everything is pretty much a$$-n-elbows anyway? OR "Something else"?

Lost comm seems the most likely scenario. That or aliens. With probes. Oh, you know what kind of probes . . . .

All will be revealed in the fullness of time. Until then, all this yak yak is sheer speculation based on press reports, which are usually pathetic.

WAIT . . . It was just on Fox News. Nevermind. They're always fair and balanced, so I guess it must have happened.

I don't watch fox news. In fact, I rarely watch any news, but that's off the subject.

Since you're not going to give up the fight here, I'll throw in the towel. You must be right. Intermittent comm failure. :rolleyes:

Or probing aliens. Let us know when they actually find out what the cause was.

Aloha.

This was in my company e-mail, fwiw-

February 21, 2008

Dear Fellow Employees

Much has been ‘reported’ in the media concerning an incident involving the flight crew of go! Flight 1002, operating between Honolulu and Kona, on February 13. A number of those media reports contained inaccuracies and ‘opinions’ which impact negatively on the reputation of our Company and on our people. As we communicated to you yesterday, Mesa is cooperating fully with the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) investigation which is currently under way. Both pilots have been removed from flight duties pending the outcome of that investigation, and we feel it would not be prudent to comment further until that is completed.

That being said, it is also important that we share with you some of the facts.

• One media report out of Hawaii maintained that “the co pilot was inexperienced”
Fact: The First Officer (co pilot) has at total of 1,250 flight hours with 500 hours on the CRJ

The captain of the flight has 25,000 hours total flight experience and 8,000 hours on the CRJ. Both are experienced pilots.

• The same media report maintains that the captain “…..was based in Nashville, but was working in Hawaii on a one week forced assignment.”
Fact: On December 17, 2007, the captain submitted a bid for temporary duty based in Hawaii in either Maui (first preference) or Kona (second preference). He has been in Hawaii since January 13

Fact: FAA Regulations provide for a minimum of 8 hours rest prior to commencement of flying duties

Fact: Three days prior to February 13 over-flight incident, the captain had a rest period of 14 hours and 55 minutes prior to commencement of his flight duty, two days prior he had a rest period of 14 hours 55 minutes and the night prior to the incident, his rest period was 14 hours and 53 minutes.

In the case of the first officer the rest periods on those same three days prior to the February 13 incident were 38 hours 52 minutes, 14 hours and 55 minutes and 14 hours 53 minutes respectively.

Fact: Federal Aviation Regulations allow for a maximum duty day of 16 hours.
The average length of duty for the captain during the three days prior to February 13 was 8 hours 39 minutes.

The average length of duty for the first officer on the two days worked prior to February 13 was 9 hours and 6 minutes. Three days prior the first officer had a day off.

As an experienced airline captain myself with more than 14,000 hours of international flight experience, mostly on Boeing 737s, I thought it was important, and might be of interest to you, if I shared these facts to correct some of the inaccuracies being reported.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Skellon
Vice President Corporate Communications
Mesa Air Group

This is always appropriate:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/931/mesaba5.jpg

:laugh:

But seriously, here's another theory: This is a coordinated effort between Aloha and the local air traffic controllers to create bad press for Mesa and drive Go out of Hawaii. The controllers put them on a heading at 21000, and wouldn't let them descend for 25 minutes. Instant news story!

Last edited:

"METHINKS HE DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH"

This was in my company e-mail, fwiw-

February 21, 2008

Dear Fellow Employees

Much has been ‘reported’ in the media concerning an incident involving the flight crew of go! Flight 1002, operating between Honolulu and Kona, on February 13. A number of those media reports contained inaccuracies and ‘opinions’ which impact negatively on the reputation of our Company and on our people.

Fact: FAA Regulations provide for a minimum of 8 hours rest prior to commencement of flying duties

Fact: Three days prior to February 13 over-flight incident, the captain had a rest period of 14 hours and 55 minutes prior to commencement of his flight duty, two days prior he had a rest period of 14 hours 55 minutes and the night prior to the incident, his rest period was 14 hours and 53 minutes.

The average length of duty for the captain during the three days prior to February 13 was 8 hours 39 minutes.

See! Everything is the PILOTS fault! (thanks for the e-mail forward)

Well, it might be. [sigh, wrong again] Nice of the company to tell everyone to STFU about whining to the press about Mesa duty times and FAA minimum rest requirements.

(This did not prevent me, a now non-Mesa employee, from forwarding to the press my last Mesa schedules and experiences :eek: that had 14 hour day after 14 hour day, all in the middle of the night, sleeping with my crew in the back of an CRJ or in the one hotel room provided for 4 mixed gender crew members. Ever seen one of your male flight attendants in his underwear? <SHUDDER>).

"Fact: FAA Regulations provide for a minimum of 8 hours rest prior to commencement of flying duties"

--- well, yes. And no. That's 8 hours free from duty. So if it takes you an hour to drive home, too bad. And an hour to drive back? Tough. And you didn't fall asleep immediately? You showered, shaved, shined your shoes and ate a good meal? Well, that's all "rest". How convenient.

Rest may not have been an issue in this instance. But Mesa is clearly HYPERSENSITIVE to this charge.

"METHINKS HE DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH"

Last edited:
ok..so the pilots had lots of rest.. so they must not be sleeping. they had lots of experience so that drops the unexperienced-dangerous-mesa-pilots argument.

what happened? maybe they were reading the paper?

btw, knowing your light gun signals does you no good when the airport is 21,000 feet below you and at your 6 o'clock. :)

i was hoping this would have been a legal (but not safe) rest issue that needs to be highlighted and changed.

well, now we have the company's spin anyway. all that's left to get now are the facts....

As an experienced airline captain myself with more than 14,000 hours of international flight experience, mostly on Boeing 737s, I thought it was important, and might be of interest to you, if I shared these facts to correct some of the inaccuracies being reported.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Skellon
Vice President Corporate Communications
Mesa Air Group

I'm sure someone, perhaps you, as a higher up at Mesa is reading this thread. With that in mind, you're operation is scumbag in this industry and bad press, even inaccurate, is well deserved.

Fact: A Pilot with as many hours as the captain has, is by pure math, not young. An older pilot is MORE likely to fall asleep since his/her blood can carry less O2 than a younger pilot.

Fact: Flight experience does not have any bering on sleep habits.

Fact: The flight missed the intended airport and flew over a 14,000 feet rapid raising mountain. If the flight was on a descent, there'd would be a smoking Go! hole there.

Fact: (according to Mesa's memo), the flight was heading to Kona, which is MORE likely for the pilots to fall asleep because ATC always clear the flights to Direct KOA (or IAF ILS35) as soon as the plane makes its initial turn departing HNL.

Fact: If the Comm were messed up, they could have held over Koa VOR, Sqawk properly, becomes VFR, etc. There is no evidence to suggest that the A/C has Comm problems. An argument of Comm problems without any evidence to suggest so, its about as silly as an argument of that the autopilot wouldn't disengage, the elevators were jammed, or any number of things. Which is a pointless exercise of circler logic.

Latest resources

Back