Big meeting: Skywest, ASA/XJet, Alpa, SAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Waaa,
Wally, et al, I don't wish anything for you, you will get what comes, nothing less and nothing more. My contact with SKYW dispatchers has been less than rewarding, having to have one of them add an alternate for basic 1-2-3 rules, tells me that there was no analysis of the situation on their part. Excuse me if I operate as if I am out there with the F/O, by ourselves, but for the most part we are. I have never had an ACARS from a DX'r informing me that the WX had gone down, but I have had numerous occasions where I ACARS'd the DX'r informing them that I needed alternate planning, confirmed, as a courtesy to them.
Make no mistake, I am positive that there are professionals working the desk, but at the regionals you guys are learning on the job and I cannot afford to count on them, and find them asleep at the wheel when I need answers fast. So forgive me when I have a F/O fresh off of IOE and a DX'r with a fresh paper certificate, and the entire state of Texas filled with CB's, my willingness to "trust" a DX'r of unknown experience is limited. When SGU removed the DX'r employee number, remember?
So yes Wally, your sig line invalidates everything that proceeded it.
You know what happens when DX, ATC, MX screw up? Pilots might pay the ultimate price, and that is the difference, pilots step into the arena, and put everything on the line. When was the last DX'r that died in the line of duty?

Aircraft Dispatchers - Saving Pilots From Themselves and Their Egos Since 1938.

Walter, I too have caught dispatch mistakes and possibly saved our bacon so don't act too hypocritical towards your fellow employees there ya goof.
I know the dispatchers haunt this forum like homer and they are best left ignored but you sir are a complete tool.

Nick, that was a healthy rant, thanks for the morning entertainment! I like the most interesting man reference, well done. Stay thirsty my friend.
His sense of self importance is way over the top, he is not the end all and be all. He seems to be the type that will not admit to any stupid mistake but is the first to call out anyone who might not do it his way. He probably takes great pride in catching mistakes and likes to burn fellow employees. He respects no one but himself. The buck does not stop here with him, it's always easier to blame someone else for his problems.
XPOO, you forgot to mention that you get to sleep in the same bed every night. That alone is worth making a bit less. Good work on not buying a VW... those things are garbage.
It doesn't matter because he is a "high" paid pilot who can't trust the "idiots" to file a simple flight plan. He probably spends most overnights alone and miserable in his crappy hotel room flicking bedbugs off his chest. FWIW, I drive a '91 civic that I paid $500 bucks for. Anyone who seriously measure a person self worth by what kind of car he drives has some serious penis length issues.
It funny how SOME (not all) captains forget how important every airline employee is to making a successful operation.
It's unbelievable how clueless some people are. It really is amusing, but not surprising how these types like to think how much they are in control and everyone else must submit to their authority, after all they went to Riddle and got a trophy no matter what place they finished. They can't help it, they are victims of society or some other happy feel good bs. He just needs a good hug.

Wally,
Pull up the VOR/DME-A for Missoula, MT, add a dispatch mistake, say, VFR fuel and WX at minimums which both DX'r and pilot miss. Approach 1 goes missed, how many tries do they get before flame out, and what happens the to the crew and pax, what about the DX'r? Somebodies family gets a bag of hair and teeth, while the DX'r goes home to worry about what comes next. Both are honest mistakes for whatever reason, but the consequences are vastly different.
So while you think that your participation in the planning somehow equates to shared risk, you are in fact sadly mistaken. The most you will ever put on the table is liability.
You like to throw rocks at regional pilots, but we for the most part fly many more legs to some of the most difficult airports in the world, my F/O could be right off IOE, the DX'r right out of school, and we have to make up for the slack. On the other hand major airline Capt's. Most likely are flying a CAT III A/C with autoland and auro brakes and has you an experienced DX'r, and a F/O who has thousands of hours flying where we go every day as well as plenty of PIC experience.
So you by all means continue to throw rocks, but don't be surprised when some come back your way.

I forget to uncheck the signature line option and somehow the entirety of my post is invalided. Huzzah.

I'm through wasting my efforts here, at least for today. Goodnight.

My favorite from dispatchers is the alternate on the other side of the line of T-Storms. If I can't get into my destination....how in the world do you expect me to penetrate a line of t-storms to get to our "legal alternate". Dispatcher:...."Well, legally this requires less gas...". But if I can't/won't fly through the thunderstorms, it doesn't mean crap if I'm "legal". Give me an alternate on the good side of the weather. One that I can realistically get to.

Many times the major issues between dispatchers and pilots is actual or probable vs. practical. Just because something is "legal" doesn't mean an idea is do-able or even possible.

When it's my butt on the line (literally not just legally)....There is very little wiggle room for the DX. They better have a very good reasoning for what they have decided. As somebody said previously..... I as the PIC have the ultimate authority. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's advisable or even possible.

Last edited:
I forget to uncheck the signature line option and somehow the entirety of my post is invalided. Huzzah.

It's good to quit while you are wrong.....no point in looking like a bigger doochenozzle.

Translated: "I forgot that Gulfport's vor is out of service and that you are without an FMS and GPT is your destination... But whatever. Im through wasting my efforts on this dumb computer.

Fahk it dude, let's go bowling"

Great attitude, Walter. Pass me the uzi

Last edited:
PBRStreetgang,

I can't speak for any other airline dispatch office out there, but I can tell you this about SkyWest.

This office is currently constructed of 100 individuals with the current amount of seniority.

The 56 dispatchers we have currently average 5.8 years of dispatch experience here at SkyWest. And many of those people have experience with prior airlines.

The 26 Coordinators we have currently average 9.1 years of dispatch experience here at SkyWest. 10 of those coordinators are also dispatch qualified and their years of experience were not factored into the original 56 dispatchers I just mentioned.

The 4 Dispatch Supervisors we have currently average 7.3 years of dispatch experience here at SkyWest. They were also not factored into the average for the 56 dispatchers previously mentioned.

The 4 Operations Supervisors we have currently average 9.4 years of dispatch experience here at SkyWest.

And lastly, the 9 management level employees here in dispatch average 13.6 years of dispatch experience here at SkyWest.

The entire 100 employees here in dispatch average 7.6 years of dispatching experience.

Your paper fresh dispatcher remark holds no water.

Everyday these 100 people answer the questions of a pilot group that is 2,400 strong, dispatch and coordinate 2,000 flights five different ways for five different major carriers, to more US cities than any other single airline in the world. And to top it all off, they are the only substantial US carrier airline to have NEVER had certificate action taken against any dispatcher...EVER.

So excuse us if some of us take in pride in what we are able to accomplish on a daily basis around here.

Waaa,
Wally, et al, I don't wish anything for you, you will get what comes, nothing less and nothing more. My contact with SKYW dispatchers has been less than rewarding, having to have one of them add an alternate for basic 1-2-3 rules, tells me that there was no analysis of the situation on their part. Excuse me if I operate as if I am out there with the F/O, by ourselves, but for the most part we are. I have never had an ACARS from a DX'r informing me that the WX had gone down, but I have had numerous occasions where I ACARS'd the DX'r informing them that I needed alternate planning, confirmed, as a courtesy to them.
Make no mistake, I am positive that there are professionals working the desk, but at the regionals you guys are learning on the job and I cannot afford to count on them, and find them asleep at the wheel when I need answers fast. So forgive me when I have a F/O fresh off of IOE and a DX'r with a fresh paper certificate, and the entire state of Texas filled with CB's, my willingness to "trust" a DX'r of unknown experience is limited. When SGU removed the DX'r employee number, remember?
So yes Wally, your sig line invalidates everything that proceeded it.
You know what happens when DX, ATC, MX screw up? Pilots might pay the ultimate price, and that is the difference, pilots step into the arena, and put everything on the line. When was the last DX'r that died in the line of duty?[/QUOTE]

You know what happens when pilots screw up big fella? Now who pays the ultimate price?

P.S you are a douch

Latest resources

Back