• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big meeting: Skywest, ASA/XJet, Alpa, SAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left the regionals for a major two years ago. Since then, I've discovered that, while a vocal disdain for dispatch still exists amongst a minority, the fanatical hatred that folks like PBRStreetGang throw around online and that I experienced from a small handful of captains while at SkyWest seems to be isolated to those with a severe chip on their shoulder...as if they're upset with how their lives turned out. This gig is about dealing with all of personalities...the vast majority of OO pilots were awesome. There are a minority who weren't.

Let's be clear about our responsibilities. Before you take off, it's you and me, buddy. If you don't like what I've put together, we hash it out and the plane goes nowhere 'til we agree. It's not about me. It's not about you. If you don't like the plan, though, I don't want to hear the complaining after the fact. You signed the paperwork, thus you consented to everything in that little package. Once you're airborne, I don't care what you do with the airplane as long as you keep me in the loop. That's your domain and you have the final authority. I do, however, have to clean up the mess when you self-divert to Bumf---, Nowhere, so I like being kept in the loop. Maybe I know of a better version of Bumf---, Nowhere that's closer. Or, maybe your Bumf--- is NOTAM'd closed or FDC'd N/A. I can help with that. I'm here to be your eyes and ears on the ground, to pass along information, and to all-around keep you out of trouble. I readily concede that there are people out there who have no business doing this job based on their workload management & lack of communication skills...yet, because of this minority, you wish for the demise of the people meant to watch out for you with such fervor that it borders on scary.

I know my role. "Fulfillment of regulatory compliance" or not, the airline doesn't run without me. Same as you. There is much, much more going on and being monitored behind the scenes. You have a standing offer to visit your airlines' OCC. I extended it to you years ago and, now that I am no longer with the carrier, others are there willing to walk you through the intricate details of just exactly what it is we do. Of course, you will never make an attempt to expose yourself to anything that might change your mind about the opinion you've developed...but, that offer stands. Hell, I'll even invite you to my office if you feel like you might be run out on a rail in SGU. Just say the word.

You're a cog in the machine just as I am. Don't forget that.

PBR, I truly hope sarcasm was a large part of that post. Otherwise you are shockingly full of yourself.

No, he really is a world class dbag. He knows all and tells all. The worlds most interesting man is based on his life, but toned down for tv. He puts the I in team, he doesn't want or need any help from lowly dispatchers or any other meaningless low wager who dares step in his aura of awesomeness. He will not be told what to do, FARs are mere suggestion because he is always right. He is in control at all times and his boyfriend calls him sir.The fo is only there to remind him of how cool he is,and only speaks when spoken to which every answer must be "Yes Sir, boy all your techniques and ideas are pure genius, I wish you were my dad!". He was the true immaculate conception. He makes Obama's leg tingle. He wrote the book on captain's authority, and dresses up as himself for Halloween. The autopilot should be renamed "this is the way PBR Streetgang does it" button. He Thinks Chuck Yeager was a sissy. He truly is an army of one.....well, you get the point that he really is a sad person.

Ding!
We don't work for them it's the other way round! If their responsibility is the same, why isn't their pay? Oh, I get it, it's their love of the industry.
Gimme a break

Actually, Walter tops out much higher than you do. Trust me, you don't want to compare your scale with his. You're a pathetic waste of carbon structure with a God Complex pushing a barbie jet all over the US. My hat's off to you.

Also, I only work 4 days a week and drive two vehicles much nicer than a Jetta. Thank you and fly safe.

Nick, that was a healthy rant, thanks for the morning entertainment! I like the most interesting man reference, well done. Stay thirsty my friend.

XPOO, you forgot to mention that you get to sleep in the same bed every night. That alone is worth making a bit less. Good work on not buying a VW... those things are garbage.

It funny how SOME (not all) captains forget how important every airline employee is to making a successful operation.

Actually, Walter tops out much higher than you do. Trust me, you don't want to compare your scale with his. You're a pathetic waste of carbon structure with a God Complex pushing a barbie jet all over the US. My hat's off to you.

Also, I only work 4 days a week and drive two vehicles much nicer than a Jetta. Thank you and fly safe.

Dayum. What a dick

Dayum. What a dick
...and the verbal diarrhea that PBRStreetGang spews around here toward his own coworkers makes him a saint?

I don't like comparing pay scales as a sign of "being good at one's job". It's, frankly, not a good indicator. Thus, I won't discuss it, nor will I question one's commitment to their profession. I will not, however, sit back and tolerate having my chosen profession and fellow professionals talked down to by someone who obviously has serious issues with his current station in life.

I (and the majority of my fellow dispatchers) am not a "wannabe pilot". I am not someone on a "power trip". I do not do this job because I wish to lord over someone. I do it because I really enjoy it, because it's something new and different every day, because I enjoy the mental gymnastics of IROP days, because I'm good at it, and because it pays the bills and then some.

We have just as much a skin in the game as any pilot. We may not see as much of the world going by us at seven miles per minute, but we have a certificate and a livelihood on the line with each flight, just as you do. The difference being, I put that certificate on the line, on average 50+ times per day. With that said, I believe that any dispatcher who has an opinion has earned the right to discuss those opinions in this medium, in this particular sub-forum, without being talked down to as some kind of sub-human scum...much in the cowardly way that PBRStreetGang has toward his people in SGU for years. He obviously has problems with the way his fellow coworkers do their jobs, yet he's too much of a coward to do anything about it...to pick up a phone or drop an email to OCC management and discuss those issues...and, instead, he takes on some kind of childish online persona and types out the drivel he posts here while highlighting the lack of professionalism amongst some in the Regional Pilot Ranks. What a dick.

One time, while sitting reserve, I went over to the OCC and spent a couple of hours with the dispatchers and the weather people, watching and listening. I left with a greatly increased respect for the job they do. Same thing when I visited ATC in the Tower and radar room. I recommend it. :)

One time, while sitting reserve, I went over to the OCC and spent a couple of hours with the dispatchers and the weather people, watching and listening. I left with a greatly increased respect for the job they do. Same thing when I visited ATC in the Tower and radar room. I recommend it. :)

Wish there was a like button! This seems to be the concensus among pilots who visit the OCC in HDQ.... Hey PBR, you c ome visit, Ill even buy the beer after the visit. (of course its Utah beer so it will cost me twice as much for same results...)

Walter.

Good post and I agree with you. I have read PBR's posts for years and I have most always found him levelheaded and informed . I think he is partly responding to a perception that dispatchers are coming into "his" forum and telling him how important they are. It has been going on for a while. Once you click send your job appears to be mostly completed while ours is just starting. Last week I had to call for a take off alt and had to AGRUE about the legal requirement with a dispatcher with 6 whole months under his/her belt who acted like I was an idiot. I then had to bring to his/her attention that two MEL's were left off the release. One affected our takeoff performance. This happens about ever 2-3 days to me at Surejet. When we call the attitude is "how dare you question me"
I have to admit if the next day I heard a dispatcher spouting off about "saving pilots from their own ego" it would run me the wrong way too.

Lets agree that we are all important

Your tagline however is offensive.

How about "catching dispatchers mistakes daily" were my tagline??

Maybe you are just way better at your job than the average Surejet dispatcher.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back