• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big meeting: Skywest, ASA/XJet, Alpa, SAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No sir, Ron Reber was President of Skywest Airlines, up until last year, Jerry Atkin was President and CEO of Skywest Inc. He was relieved of that position and Brad Rich filled it.

Well, that isn't what news articles said at the time. I'll have to take your word for it.

Well, that isn't what news articles said at the time. I'll have to take your word for it.

I'm not exactly sure how my last post got interpreted... Mr. Atkin is still Chief executive Officer of Skywest Inc.... He was President AND CEO of Skywest Inc.

Chip Childs is now the President of Skywest Airlines, he took over after Reber was fired-- I mean stepped down.

The lists aren't going to be merged anytime soon. However, if they were truly serious about saving money, they would. We're "double up" on absolutely everything, and it's reflecting brighter and brighter, to them, on the bottom line.

DAL's TA favors the hiring of ALPA carrier pilots, as will UAL's, from what I'm hearing. I say Skywest Airlines can enjoy their life at the regional level, while ASA/ExpressJet clears out quicker than dust in the wind. Attrition is going to pick up to a frantic pace around here. The only question is how small ASA/ExpressJet will get to "right-size" in order to compensate for the complete lack of pilots in the marketplace. ASA/ExpressJet will be the increadibly shrinking airline due to staffing.

The lists aren't going to be merged anytime soon. However, if they were truly serious about saving money, they would. We're "double up" on absolutely everything, and it's reflecting brighter and brighter, to them, on the bottom line.

True, and I wouldn't be opposed to one list.

Really wouldn't look forward to the scheduling, dispatch, payroll, crew planning being taken down a SECOND notch. Moving everything from IAH to ATL was bad enough, moving it out west would create a suck level of epic proportion.

I'm not exactly sure how my last post got interpreted... Mr. Atkin is still Chief executive Officer of Skywest Inc.... He was President AND CEO of Skywest Inc.

Chip Childs is now the President of Skywest Airlines, he took over after Reber was fired-- I mean stepped down.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/51794643-79/skywest-company-rich-atkin.html.csp

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9N5D5SO0.htm

Both of these articles say the position of President at the corporate (Inc) level was vacated after the ASA aquisition, with the position recreated for Brad Rich last year. It doesn't sound at all as if Atkin was stripped of the title en route to a Board-mandated merger as it seems you are suggesting. It is entirely possible that a combination is in the future (though I highly doubt it), but I don't think the corporate management restructuring was necessarily related to such a strategy.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/51794643-79/skywest-company-rich-atkin.html.csp

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9N5D5SO0.htm

Both of these articles say the position of President at the corporate (Inc) level was vacated after the ASA aquisition, with the position recreated for Brad Rich last year. It doesn't sound at all as if Atkin was stripped of the title en route to a Board-mandated merger as it seems you are suggesting. It is entirely possible that a combination is in the future (though I highly doubt it), but I don't think the corporate management restructuring was necessarily related to such a strategy.

I'm not certain how long Mr. Atkin held on to both positions (Pres. and CEO). However position as President changed after the acquisition of XJT. I have no insider information, but it's interesting that it happened after Skywest Inc lost money after making profitable qtrs for umpteen many years in a row. Not to say the article was wrong, Inc has their own reasons for doing what they're doing, but the timing of such a move suggests otherwise.

I'm not certain how long Mr. Atkin held on to both positions (Pres. and CEO). However position as President changed after the acquisition of XJT. I have no insider information, but it's interesting that it happened after Skywest Inc lost money after making profitable qtrs for umpteen many years in a row. Not to say the article was wrong, Inc has their own reasons for doing what they're doing, but the timing of such a move suggests otherwise.

Sure, it means JA is 66 years old and might like to enjoy himself.

Tell me, if Mr. Atkin is so hell bent on keeping things separate, why then did he arrange a meeting with SAPA, ASA and XJT? He also brought Brad Rich. Intriguing.

Management 101 - Always make the employee group feel like there's hope

Latest resources

Back