• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Awa Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I may be so bold as to state the obvious: everyone has a different opinion of what's reasonable and it's usually self-serving. That's why I for one won't give my ideas.

As I've stated before I believe ALPA Merger policy is a fair process and I'll accept the results come what may.

Parker is going to say anything right now to get this merger cleared with the ATSB and the Court. His claims of us being BK are a little much considering he was singing a different song up until the merger announcement. His numbers just don't add up.

AWA posted a $36 million profit in the 1st quarter. AWA also made a $32 million dollar ATSB loan payment. The second and third quarters are expected to be break even and could even show a profit if oil stays at $50+ due to our fuel hedges. This means our cash balances won't change very much.
AWA has to make another ATSB loan payment in October. This could reduce cash but only by about $32 million. The other large debt payment due has already been funded by the sale/leaseback of the training center and MX hangar.

Not to mention, Parker has stated numerous times that there are plently of people willing to give AWA cash before a BK filing was ever needed.

Parker needs this doom and gloom outlook for BOTH airlines in order to get the approvals needed for this deal.

On a side note:

We were on the van in Denver the other day and a USAirways furloughed pilot was on our crew van returning to the airport after a corporate job interview. She was a early 1990's hire. She told my Captain that she fully expected to return to work once the merger went through and at least hold a FO position. She said all her "friends" in her furloughed seniority range expected the same. I asked her if I should give up my job for her return, and she stated that is how the seniority system works.

This seniority integration is going to be a mess. Terms like reasonable, career expectations, fair, etc...will never be agreed on. We will be arguing these things as the whole airline sinks to the bottom and we are all out of jobs.

These USAir folks are not to be trusted. Ive seen current and past US MEC's sell their souls to the devil just to further their
own agendas at the expense of all others,including their own company. Remember the "Delta/United plus 1% " contract of just a few years ago? Those guys were cashing checks that company couldn't cover when times we're good, never mind today.I've never met a more beligerent,obnoxious group
of pilots in my life. What you experienced in the van with "Dolly Dimples" is a perfect example.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
I've never met a more beligerent,obnoxious group
of pilots in my life.

Especially the women pilots in that group

TWAdude - whose @ss are you trying to kiss ????????

Last edited:
Take a deep breath..it only gets worse!!

SOOO much negativety.....You know.. the day that you chose to be an AIRLINE PILOT...No one said things would be easy and stable...welcome to TURMOIL LANE!!! Strap yourself in cause it's gonna get rough!!

Doug Parker said:
TWAdude - whose @ss are you trying to kiss ????????
You mean, why in the world do I not wish to be insulting and condescending to my fellow pilots? I don't think that question needs to be answered.

Last edited:
Cactus73 said:
AWA posted a $36 million profit in the 1st quarter. AWA also made a $32 million dollar ATSB loan payment.

Yeah, USAir made an ATSB payment, $250 million, I believe, a few quarters ago when it was trying to hide some money, too.

So, Cactus73, if USAir starts showing a profit, will it change what a fair integration looks like? Is that the determining factor?

Who cares what the accountants do, the fact is that pilots generate revenue, and if this merger goes through we are going to have to share that work.

You, "Doug," and PHXFLYR have a really twisted sense of the U pilot group. One van ride doesn't tell the whole story, nor does a revisionist historical perspective on the Parity+1% contract. Management WANTED that contract; it's what they said they needed. Now people look at it like it was a win for labor. Pure BS and revisionist history. That contract was consessionary, because at the time USAir was generating awesome revenue.

One of you asked what I thought was "reasonable" as far as integration. Well, I dunno, why don't you tell me? I was hired at US Airways in 1999, and I eventually had just over 600 pilots junior to me (10% of the list.) I was furloughed and out of the picture for two years, and now I fly CRJ's for a wholly owned and my paychecks say US Airways Group on them, just like they did in 1999. I get the sense that my six year history with US Air Group doesn't mean much to you boys in PHX, but because this is the Internet and because it's Tuesday and because I'm really tired I'll go ahead and let you take a shot at it. Where does a guy like me go on a combined list? Junior to a AWA pilot hired in March 2005? Junior to a poolie? Let me know what you think, and remeber: what goes around comes around.

BeCareful! said:
Yeah, USAir made an ATSB payment, $250 million, I believe, a few quarters ago when it was trying to hide some money, too.

So, Cactus73, if USAir starts showing a profit, will it change what a fair integration looks like? Is that the determining factor?

Who cares what the accountants do, the fact is that pilots generate revenue, and if this merger goes through we are going to have to share that work.

You, "Doug," and PHXFLYR have a really twisted sense of the U pilot group. One van ride doesn't tell the whole story, nor does a revisionist historical perspective on the Parity+1% contract. Management WANTED that contract; it's what they said they needed. Now people look at it like it was a win for labor. Pure BS and revisionist history. That contract was consessionary, because at the time USAir was generating awesome revenue.

One of you asked what I thought was "reasonable" as far as integration. Well, I dunno, why don't you tell me? I was hired at US Airways in 1999, and I eventually had just over 600 pilots junior to me (10% of the list.) I was furloughed and out of the picture for two years, and now I fly CRJ's for a wholly owned and my paychecks say US Airways Group on them, just like they did in 1999. I get the sense that my six year history with US Air Group doesn't mean much to you boys in PHX, but because this is the Internet and because it's Tuesday and because I'm really tired I'll go ahead and let you take a shot at it. Where does a guy like me go on a combined list? Junior to a AWA pilot hired in March 2005? Junior to a poolie? Let me know what you think, and remeber: what goes around comes around.

Don't even start with the "USAIR Group" signed paycheck with me,my friend,because I was drawing USAir Group signed paychecks 1986 thru
1996 , And you know what? It didn't mean a hill of beans to anyone at mainline. he11,you weren't even on the property at that time. So let's not go there, OK? As to where you go on the combined senority list, the arbitrator unfourtunetly will make that call because of your groups DOH mindset. It is and always has been all about you guys and regretably nothing has changed that.

PHXFLYR

Pilots do not generate revenue. The passengers generate revenue for you. All pilots supply is the service for that revenue. In reality, within the company, pilots are a drain on revenue. Yes, I know, the planes don't go anywhere, the passengers don't go anywhere, without pilots flying the planes (same can be said of the mechanics and ground handlers). Nevertheless, that does mean you are generating revenue for your company. The revenue, if any, has already been generated by the time your flight pushes back.

Latest resources

Back