• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BUCK: As for me- I'll only make $4000 less per yr on unemployment than a first yr F/O at Avantair...and a newborn at home: "Mr. Mom" it is.

ME: That's why I quit them in the middle of a recession. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are 5,000 pilots who want the job I quit. Go get it....LOLOLOL

just curious if you'd still consider avantair if you had to give up nj recall?

I wish you were interviewing me. Yes I'd give up the recall. As soon as an employer tells me I'm no longer valued. I can't get outta there quick enough. I'm not waiting around for NJA.
You guys seem to be doing it right. Who knows where you'll be in 10 years. As far as NJA goes well I don't know of too many companies that, "shrink to profitability," I'm sure there out there but this guy Sokol is cutting us to the bone.

BUCK: As for me- I'll only make $4000 less per yr on unemployment than a first yr F/O at Avantair...and a newborn at home: "Mr. Mom" it is.

ME: That's why I quit them in the middle of a recession. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are 5,000 pilots who want the job I quit. Go get it....LOLOLOL

Buck are you really going to wait until some else does the hard work of building a successful and profitable company before joining in? I would rather fly banners, traffic watch and instruct then sit at home and suck off a goverment t!t. This isnt the first time the economy took a dump. But, to each his own Mr. Mom. Real American of you.

BTDI didn't you quit because you were home sick :rolleyes:. Did any one tell you that real planes actually fly away from home airports and don't return at the end of the lesson. Those who can do, those who can't... :laugh:

Good luck to every one else. I for one hope that NJA does not furlough and they find a way to become an operationally profitable company. That would be good news for all us Frac pilots ! ! !

To get back to the topic: I hear that we are just a couple aircraft away from conducting the next initial class. Sales are reported to be stronger than the set goals so we hope to see the aircraft come soon.

I also hope that the economy turns around real soon so we can get back to argueing about which frac is the best one to be at.

Just to make a point. Unemployment is NOT sucking off the "government t!t."

Welfare is, food stamps are..but unemployment is an insurance that employers pay into and a worker collects. It's no different than crashing your car and expecting someone else to pay for the damage...the insurance company that you've been paying premiums to for years and years.

By the way, for years and years the unemployment fund has paid out LESS than 30% of the premiums collected. Only recently have those numbers approached what normal insurance companies pay out. In other words, don't feel bad for taking an insurance that's been paid in full.

Now, is not accepting a job because you only make 4K a year more than unemployment a wise decision? I don't know. The guy who takes the job is on year two pay when "Mr. Moms" unemployment runs out and he then takes the same job anyway with a year less seniority. Seems like an easy decision to me, but what do I know...

Last edited:
Glass, if you are ABLE (a big assumption right now with the economy and hiring) to find work, but CHOOSE not to, then yes, you are sucking off the government t!t.

Is Buck able-bodied? Does he meet the qualifications to be hired by another aviation employer? Is he in good health? Then if he isn't even TRYING to find work because hey, the government will just GIVE him money nearly equivalent to what he'd make anyway, then he is absoultely an unneccesary drain on the system, and is acting unethically.

Just because the money is paid in by his former employer doesn't mean it's something that HAS to be used just because it's there. By that logic, when my car is old and tired, I should just wreck it and collect the insurance money, which may be more than I'd get for it in a trade-in. I mean, I've been paying into the insurance for years, right? If I don't use it, then what good is it?

If Buck has TRIED to find work, but couldn't. If he suffered a medical problem that precluded working at this time, then fine. That's what unemployment is for. But if he's just sitting back and collecting unemployment because it's the same as he'd make working, but much easier, then I say it's BS.

I would caution against just sitting around collecting unemployment. Losing your currency will cause a problem.

Sounds like Buck will be sleeping in his own bed every night for the next year, making nearly the same pay on unemployment, while lots of pilots are sleeping in a hotel half the year and missing the kids Little League games. Gee......I suppose that IS a no-brainer!

Latest resources

Back