• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA PBS Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not being integrated to work 6 days in a row is a vast QOL improvement in my mind.
Oh yea that's right, PBS will never make you work six in a row. Hahahahahahahahahahhahhaahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahhah..
..................hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhah. cough cough hahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahah and a tear of laughter.

If every pilot wanted the same type schedule, then PBS would be of little value. Because we all want something different, and even that can change month to month, PBS will be useful.

Conventional line building software build lines starting with patterns until it starts running out of pairings that it can build a pattern. It then starts patching pairings together until it can no longer build complete lines. Then open time is left over. More open time is created when conflicts are created with non-flying events, which creates partial trips. All this requires a high number of reserves to cover potential open time that is not picked up by regular pilot. Utilizing reserves that are paid guarantee that don't fly anywhere near 75 hours is expensive. Conventional line bidding is inefficient and requires more staffing.

PBS eliminates conflicts, allows more regular lines to be built, and results in less need for reserves--about 1/3 less. For the most part, the smaller cadre of reserves are only used for sick calls and occasional IROPS. Less pilots are needed. In addition, PBS can distribute flying to regular pilots more evenly so that at whatever block hour level, every regular pilot is doing about the same amount of work. This forces more pairings down by capping what a pilot can fly. It makes all pilots with regular lines productive to the same level. Hours and pairings forced down are flown at cheaper rates of pay.

PBS is a staffing tool that spreads the work, and when block hours increase, to some degree, more work can be done by less pilots compared to it's absence. Savings result.

Oh yea that's right, PBS will never make you work six in a row. Hahahahahahahahahahhahhaahahhahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahhah..
..................hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhah. cough cough hahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahah and a tear of laughter.

Even this PBS can make some pilots work 6 in a row if the bidder does not learn the system and place a proper bid. In the absence of a bid, insufficient preferences, or the absence of a default bid, then the software gets full authority and uses it's default settings. If the information given at the roadshow is correct, when the software has full authority, it will give award highest credit trips(4 days) on weekends, holidays and any areas of stacking to reduce open time. It could also award additional pairings that could create a 6 day sequence if it is FAR legal.

The objective of the bidder is to submit a bid to achieve his "dream line" of choice, thereby denying authority to the defaults of the software. If a bidder gets a 6 day sequence, the blame would squarely lie on the bidder and his improper or lack of bidding.

My prediction is that in one year, most everyone will love the Flightline Prefbid. It will make your life better, if you take the time to learn how to use it properly. It certainly allows more options to the bidder than line bidding. Personally, I like more options. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Even this PBS can make some pilots work 6 in a row if the bidder does not learn the system and place a proper bid. In the absence of a bid, insufficient preferences, or the absence of a default bid, then the software gets full authority and uses it's default settings. If the information given at the roadshow is correct, when the software has full authority, it will give award highest credit trips(4 days) on weekends, holidays and any areas of stacking to reduce open time. It could also award additional pairings that could create a 6 day sequence if it is FAR legal.

The objective of the bidder is to submit a bid to achieve his "dream line" of choice, thereby denying authority to the defaults of the software. If a bidder gets a 6 day sequence, the blame would squarely lie on the bidder and his improper or lack of bidding.

My prediction is that in one year, most everyone will love the Flightline Prefbid. It will make your life better, if you take the time to learn how to use it properly. It certainly allows more options to the bidder than line bidding. Personally, I like more options. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Some? Could? improper or lack of bidding? You think the all line holders wont work over the beginning of the month or "integration" for five or six in a row? Ya the top percentage of the group like before but for everyone else it still has to cover end of month to beginning of the month flying. I cant wait for you guys to choke on this thing. The senior guys will love it and probably swallow!

Some? Could? improper or lack of bidding? You think the all line holders wont work over the beginning of the month or "integration" for five or six in a row? Ya the top percentage of the group like before but for everyone else it still has to cover end of month to beginning of the month flying. I cant wait for you guys to choke on this thing. The senior guys will love it and probably swallow!

Clearly, you don't understand the system. PBS will place more burden on the bidder to achieve his preferred schedule. Trips and flying have to be covered! PBS logic is defaulted to assign high credit pairings on weekends, holidays, and as it progresses in the bid awarding--it will assign trips that start to stack up. The object of the bidder is to circumvent, negate, or mitigate the system logic and default settings by using sorts to develop the bidder's preferences. The strategy for the bidder is to be somewhat specific and then to "loosen" up his preferences so that he can be awarded trips, days on, days off, in the result that he desires.

All flying will be covered as it is today. By freeing up the collective bidders' preferences and subsequent awarded pairings, greater satisfaction will be gained throughout each "position." Pairings will be available for awarding that are not available today due to the way "Conventional line building" works.

Most pilots will not build their preferences in a "pattern" as is done today under line bidding construction. This concept is very rigid and gives the entire pilot group little flexibility in building a "preferred" schedule during the initial bid. Thus, it requires the "hope" of being able to modify through the current line completion and intitial open time process. Ideally, swapping with open time would also help, but we are all too familiar with the constraints of swapping and red arrow days. "Conventional line bidding" limits satisfaction to the collective bidders because of it's rigidity.

Under PBS. most pilots, when the learning curve diminishes, will build their flying schedule around their "known" personal schedule to the greatest degree possible, but certainly to a greater degree under PBS than under today's "Convential line bidding."

However, there are downsides to PBS. In the initial process, all pilots will be capped to some value below the top of the credit window. Since there will be much less open time left, there is less chance to build your line value after the intial line bidding process. Those who like to maximize line value will be much more restricted. because of less initial open time. This new method will limit everyone, but especially junior pilots in a position. What little open time is available,(PBS is designed to ideally eliminate open time) will go very senior within each position. However, again, there will be very little open time from the start.

The new way a pilot will build line value, is to pickup portions from other pilots. This should be very dynamic as many pilots will opt to modify or tailor undesirable pairings to meet their personal requirements, i.e., eliminate early reports, eliminate late releases, eliminate a round trip or 2 in the middle of a trip so that the pilot can attend to his personal business. PBS will be a different world, but we will adopt.

Again, PBS offers more flexibility and options than rigid, conventional line building. Most pilots like options and flexibility because most of us are "control freaks" to some degree. PBS will give each pilot more control over his individual schedule. More control means that he can be a better bidder, which should translate into a better schedule--if the pilot bidder takes the time to learn the rules. Some will, some want, as always! Those who do, should be able to get better schedules than they get today. I like flexibility and options--how about your?

Last edited:
I say dual qual and no 401k match that's what we need. Come on guys we can do it.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of dual qual, but I think it can be done safely, and fairly to the pilot group. I think that enacting dual qual for the entire pilot group would be an enormously expensive and time consuming project for ASA, no matter how it would be implemented. I am not in favor of the pilot group having to bear one single cent of the cost for the training and scheduling nightmares that would come with dual qual.

To advocate any reduction in company match in 401k is simply ignorance.

Or in our case, the pairings can be so bad(barely at minimum daily guarantee), that it will schedule you for 6 days in a row just to get you to 81 hours for the month...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back