Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA Negotiations grind to a halt (again)! ASA management out of touch with reality!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha, we sat for 30 minutes a few weeks ago waiting for them to find a working headset after we finally got sick of broken headsets. When we complained on the radio after 15 minutes of waiting and threatened to deplane the answer was "We have procedures for use with an inop headset so you shouldn't be delaying the flight". Funny thing was, the next time we used those procedures the ramper misunderstood our signals to push tail north and pushed us tail south instead, blocking another flight that was cleared to push. Even a landing light in the face would not deter our man from pushing us tail south, he just shielded his eyes and kept right on going. Just another example of that ol' ASA dedication to safety at work, I guess.

It certainly was fun to hear my Captain give Scott Hall an earfull about it on the crew bus though.

As always we have a set procedures for non-headset pushbacks, but I believe it says the ramp agent and the captain must brief it first. If they never come to the cockpit and the boarding door closes, you can 1) wait for a new headset or 2) open the door and have the ramper come to the cockpit.
If it takes them 15 minutes to find a new headset, its too bad...have them get some new equiptment.

I was almost starting to believe that, that is until I read the latest negotiations update.

Ha, we sat for 30 minutes a few weeks ago waiting for them to find a working headset after we finally got sick of broken headsets. When we complained on the radio after 15 minutes of waiting and threatened to deplane the answer was "We have procedures for use with an inop headset so you shouldn't be delaying the flight". Funny thing was, the next time we used those procedures the ramper misunderstood our signals to push tail north and pushed us tail south instead, blocking another flight that was cleared to push. Even a landing light in the face would not deter our man from pushing us tail south, he just shielded his eyes and kept right on going. Just another example of that ol' ASA dedication to safety at work, I guess.

It certainly was fun to hear my Captain give Scott Hall an earfull about it on the crew bus though.

I NEVER push without working headsets in ATL... anyone ever asks, "it's a safety issue". F 'em!

I was almost starting to believe that, that is until I read the latest negotiations update.

I NEVER push without working headsets in ATL... anyone ever asks, "it's a safety issue". F 'em! Sounds like we'll all be getting LOTS of overblock!!

Don't push if their headsets don't work. You do NOT have procedures for broken headsets, you have procedures for MEL'd intercom systems. A broken head set is NOT an acceptable reason to use hand signals. ASA took a hit for this in the Brasila days when the POI watched a ton of pushes, then went back and asked to see how many of these aircraft had deferred intercoms (zero did).

DO NOT PUSH WITH HAND SIGNALS UNLESS INTERCOM IS DEFERRED. You can't get in trouble for following the rules.

I am a pro union guy but I have a question on this latest counter proposal. The union wants CB plus 11.5% on the 50 seater for captains. Last May the union wanted CB plus 11.75%. Now, for the F/0 on the 50 seater the union wants 10.75%. Last May, it was CB plus 10.5%. Why did the union raise the offer for the first officers? It doesn't look like the union budged on pay. What are your thoughts on a fair amount that both sides should come to?

Don't push if their headsets don't work. You do NOT have procedures for broken headsets, you have procedures for MEL'd intercom systems. A broken head set is NOT an acceptable reason to use hand signals. ASA took a hit for this in the Brasila days when the POI watched a ton of pushes, then went back and asked to see how many of these aircraft had deferred intercoms (zero did).

DO NOT PUSH WITH HAND SIGNALS UNLESS INTERCOM IS DEFERRED. You can't get in trouble for following the rules.

There is actually a procedure for pushing without headsets now. Having said that, in Atlanta, I don't think it's safe and I won't do it.

Latest resources

Back