Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are You An Asa Pilot Or A Ramp Instructor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a 121 ATP written exam question, that goes something like:

The Pilot in Command may exclude anyone from the cockpit.

A. [wrong answer choice]
B. In the interest of safety
C. [wrong answer choice]

It's like drugs, or sex with a hooker who has the herpes.... just say NO!

ALPA safety should jump on this one like white on rice, like a pig in $#!t, like a fly on poop....

How long till the FEDS find out about this crap

As a former Ramper and current pilot, I can say for 100% certainty that there is absolutly no reason in HELL that a ramp supervisor or any ground personel needs be taught as the memo suggest we do:
*RNAV procedure
*parallel departure
*CAS alerts
*FMS
*radar
*synoptic pages
*Arrival procedures
*Approach Procedures

If Mr H wants these people to know how all this "MAGIC" stuff happens, they can sit in on a systems class and then sit in the SIMULATOR with ASA Instructors that are Paid to teach....

IF ASA WANTS TO GIVE ME CURRENT INSTRUCTOR PAY WHICH IS: A 95 HOUR GUARANTEE PLUS PREMIUM AT 70 RATE, THEN AND ONLY THEN WOULD I CONSIDER THIS HORIBLE PROPOSAL.

You have to be kidding me.. our VP of flight ops has written a memo that TELLS me to "be prepared for airsickness and have a bag handy" in case the rameper pukes on you while you are flying a Transport catagory aircraft for a part 121 carrier during a revenue leg with passengers in possible $#!tty weather with god know what else that could happen mechanicaly.... HOLY $#!T Now our VP of flight ops is telling me that I have to be prepared to be puked on by a ramper.......

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

ASA management wants us to start recruiting new pilots from the ramp. F!@king priceless. This program is ridiculous as our lack of management. Cannot believe the FAA would actually agree to this.

Senerio:

Thunderstom, night, moderate turbulence, full load of PAX, 13th hour of being on duty, last turn of a 4 day trip, approach to CAT 1 minimums, you are about 50 miles out and the engine catches fire. You run your checklist and are setting up for the approach.. Over the marker you are being pelted by HEAVY rain.... you drop the gear and the Ramper in the Jumpseat SCREAMS what was that and begins to cry out of fear for his/her life...... Then just as you are getting ready to kick of the auto-pilot, the ramper VOMITS all over the controls, all over you, and all over instruments... PROJECTILE VOMIT.... you execute missed approach because the distraction from the chunks of the Quiznos sub on your PFD caused you to go full deflection off the localizer... Now you are flying right into a blotch of red orange crap on the radar screen.. but you second guess yourself becasuse that red orange blotch might actually be part of the half digested tomato from the rampers puke stuck to your MFD....

Did I mention you are on your 13th hour.. Last day of a 4 day... oh and you have a sinus infection and were afraid to call in becasue you are on your 3rd occurance for being sick in 12 months, and you dont want to get called into the chief pilots office and get a letter in your company file and possibly fired for being sick more than 4 times in a year...

Get the picture?

Last edited:
So who is able to do this? Just supervisors and up? Or can any schmo from the ramp or gate ride? Are they getting any formal training from the company/training dept?

All I know is they will not ride in my JS if they don't know the do's and dont's backwards and frontwards. The company better be teaching them how to do all these things that are required of a JS'er. It's one thing to brief a qualified pilot on our JS but to teach a non pilot all the things about riding the JS is Bull********************. Our dispatchers are barely qualified to ride the JS in my opinion and now this. I doubt these operations leaders are qualified.

The safety issues are endless in these situations so I don't see it happening on my JS. If they come to my plane without a briefing first then there are too many things to talk about and not enough time. We would have to be at the plane over an hour early to get all this done and we all know that is not going to happen.

Good intentions, BAD implimentation.

Last edited:
AV8, as has been said many times in the other post, RELAX. As stated in the first paragraph, these are ramp and gate managers. They will not be your average gate/ramp agents out for a joy ride. The letter is simply to advise you of who will be in the js and what to expect.

Just extend them your a professional courtesy, fly the contract and move on.

Good intentions?.. .there are a million ways to play warm and fuzzy between the rampers and the pilots.. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT INTENTION OR IMPLIMENTATION.

Even worse is that our VP of flight ops told us in a memo to be ready to get puked on, and to have a puke bag ready...

atlcrjdriver...

I am just floored that this has been suggested by our management team... the cons totally out weigh the pros..

And a ramp supervisor is a ramper that is paid an extra $1.00 per hour... Thats all

Latest resources

Back