Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are You An Asa Pilot Or A Ramp Instructor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NOTHING THAT ASA DOES WILL EVER BE LOOKED AT IN A GOOD LIGHT BY ASA PILOTS...They (managment) have destroyed your trust.

Bingo! We have a winner!

ASA destroyed our trust a long time ago, and has done nothing to earn it back. Until they do (by treating us like valued employees, not a labor commodity) they will continue to see us undermine their every move and bitch about everything we see, and move on as fast as we can!

And when I say "treat us like valued employees" it means more than lip service and another B.S. vision statement or asinine kumbaya program. It means settle our contract, compensate us according the the revenue (profits) we generate for the company, and abide by the contract they signed!

Last edited:
Given a good briefing (and only when there is plenty of time to do a very thorough briefing), a non-pilot jumpseater is really no greater danger than many of the pilots I've had on my jumpseat. Sure, there are some that might be a distraction, but we manage distractions constantly. How about the very loud "Selcal" message we always get immediately after takeoff? No one can tell me they haven't missed radio calls because the jumpseater (who doesn't have a headset on) was talking too loud. The danger in driving a car or bus is generally much more rapid and difficult to recover from (albeit less complex). In an airplane, the only time you don't have time to deal with a situation slowly and mythodically is during takeoff and landing (of course there are exceptions) As for the jumpseater being a distraction, require a seat be open in back in case you need the jumpseater to leave for some reason (sick, emergency, distration, etc.)

Anything that can be done to improve communication, understanding, cooperation etc, between each work-group is a good thing for the organization. As an intern many years ago at a different company, I worked on the ramp for a week. That experience changed the way I make decisions when dealing with ramp and has made me a more well rounded, understanding, flexible, pilot. I recommend every pilot try dumping the lav a few times:) Of course that would be way below the average pilot's ego.

How many of you were flight instructors carrying people who had never been in an airplane with little more than a short briefing. And you let them sit AT THE CONTROLS? I know, this is a 121 operation. But we are experts at managing the cockpit. It is our job. We can make it work if we feel it is a value to us. This can be a great program if properly implemented. I don't work at ASA, and I don't know if it will me managed properly...but I don't buy the argument that it can't be done safely or that it can't be a value to the organization. Just my opinion...it is the captains jumpseat and his/her final decision. As for me and my jumpseat...I would make it work, but on my terms. Period.

Last edited:
Again, to be clear, we're talking about Atlanta ACS (Airport Customer Service) managers jumpseating, not rampers and dispatchers. That means gate supervisors, customer service managers (red coats) and ramp zone leaders.

These are the exact people who already second guess, or even disregard every decision we as captains make on the ground. Having them looking over our shoulders, and giving us the Spanish Inquisition on the jumpseat, will only reaffirm their perception of power over us and further undermine the captain's authority, because these already know-it-all individuals will feel further empowered to overrule our decisions on boarding, cargo loading, paperwork, and passenger issues.

If you don't work here, then you don't understand the "Atlantitude".

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think this might make them understand the thought process behind the captain's decisions. Again, I'm not saying this is a great idea by any means...but if it will shut them up and make them respect your decisions as a captain...maybe it's worth a shot.

And I understand the Atlantatude...anyone who non-revs though ATL any day of the week understands Atlantatude. I don't know how you guys put up with that crap on a daily basis.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think this might make them understand the thought process behind the captain's decisions. Again, I'm not saying this is a great idea by any means...but if it will shut them up and make them respect your decisions as a captain...maybe it's worth a shot.

And I understand the Atlantatude...anyone who non-revs though ATL any day of the week understands Atlantatude. I don't know how you guys put up with that crap on a daily basis.

I appreciate your respect, but as I said, y'all just don't get it unless you work for ASA. All this will do is further arm the ACS managers to second guess more of our decisions. They will never shut up and they will never respect our decisions. They honestly believe they're above us. Despite their title and position, most of them are there through social promotion, not hard work and education. As a general rule, their ignorance is only matched by their ineptitude. They cover this ineptitude with attutude unleashed on anyone who dares question them. That's Atlanta. That's why ASA will never succeed until they take Boyd's advice and fire hose this place.

More B.S. feel good campaigns like the one we're discussing are just window dressing for the real problem at ASA. Ignorant people in positions of power because of who they are and who they know, not what they know and what they can do.

ANSWER THIS

Why can the ramp staff not learn this stuff in the simulator and classroom...?and why do they need to know how the FMS works?

I can't believe this post made it 4 pages but, to answer your question. We are not training these people how to fly an RJ. We are simply showing them first hand some of the problems we have w/ gate/ramp operations everyday out on the line in real time.

If you give this person a thorough brief prior to the flight then you should have no problem w/ sterile cockpit. How many times have you had a fellow pilot js and talk your ear off while on approach? And by the way, please explain what sterile cockpit is to this person and don't just say "below 10,000 feet is sterile cockpit."

Relax, Be Professional, Fly the Contract and Move On

Last edited:
I can't believe this post made it 4 pages but, to answer your question. We are not training these people how to fly an RJ. We are simply showing them first hand some of the problems we have w/ gate/ramp operations everyday out on the line in real time.

If you give this person a thorough brief prior to the flight then you should have no problem w/ sterile cockpit. How many times have you had a fellow pilot js and talk your ear off while on approach? And by the way, please explain what sterile cockpit is to this person and don't just say "below 10,000 feet is sterile cockpit."

Relax, Be Professional, Fly the Contract and Move On

Can I ask you something? Why do you always take management's side and lecture your fellow pilots? What are your credentials to back up your opinion? Last I heard, you are an FO with less than 5 years experience. What makes your pro-management opinion so valid, junior?

Can I ask you something? Why do you always take management's side and lecture your fellow pilots? What are your credentials to back up your opinion? Last I heard, you are an FO with less than 5 years experience. What makes your pro-management opinion so valid, junior?
Not that I even care about this issue but,,,,lets slip the shoe on the other foot for a second....What makes you always take the anti-management stance and lecture your fellow pilots? What are your credentials? and last I heard, you don't have to be an ASA lifer to make an OPINION valid.....its just his opinion. You're welcome to yours.

Latest resources

Back