• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA Pilots polled. No to age 60.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All accidents have occured involving pilots under age 60. Now which age group is the safety issue?

I've heard some great ones before, but this has got to be the dumbest statement regarding the age 60 rule, by those either for or against, ever made...

Safety of the traveling public. Then why do cargo guys have to retire at age 60?

"Safety of the Traveling Public".....but today we have American citizens flying on Airlines where the PIC is over age 60...in U.S. airspace, with the approval of the American government...and doing it safely...every single day.

I noticed that the APA said absolutely nothing about that. Does that mean that they are OK with it?

What about the Canadian ALPA carriers that allow the PIC to be over age 60...and they fly in U.S. airspace.....?

I guess there aren't enough fingers to plug all the leaks in the dike.

Tejas

"Safety of the Traveling Public".....but today we have American citizens flying on Airlines where the PIC is over age 60...in U.S. airspace, with the approval of the American government...and doing it safely...every single day.

Fer sher! Like those geniuses at China Air, wtih their super-duper engine-securing seatbelts? Or maybe those keen decision-makers at British Airways who value avoiding payouts to pax if the flight doesn't get them home quickly...so they flog a Whale from LAX to Ooops!...short-of-the-destination?

We need to be more like them?

What about the Canadian ALPA carriers that allow the PIC to be over age 60...and they fly in U.S. airspace.....?

Cool! Sign me up for universal health care, the Queen on our money, and nary a glimpse of the Stanley Cup in many years...and we'll talk.

"But Mom! Stevie has a bigger piece of pie than me!" is not a valid argument for a change that would disrupt the industry.

The safest mode of transportation on this blue marble is flying on a Part 121 airliner in the United States of America.

Ain't broke...don't "fix" it.

Since this is a thread involving AA/APA I thought I'd go ahead and start the obligatory fight by saying that AA/APA sucks and TWA was the greatest thing since Orville and Wilbur took to the skies in the great state of North Carolina...

You know how many ex-TWA employees it takes to change a light bulb?

One to replace it and two to talk about how good the old one was!

Seriously though, from what I've heard TWA was great and they really did get the shaft.

So....we're to understand that these pilots were over 60???

Keep up!

The premise is that we are inexorably obligated to mirror the policies and rules of ICAO airlines because they are safer...and their breath is fresh & minty.

Ain't so.

The Asian and European airlines certainly haven't cornered the market on aviation forehead-slap-inducing actions, but there is no compelling reason to do what they do just because they do it!

I noticed that the APA said absolutely nothing about that. Does that mean that they are OK with it?

I guess there aren't enough fingers to plug all the leaks in the dike.

Tejas

Typical response from an oldtimer. Shoots before he aims. How many Americans do you think are actually flying on foreign carriers with pilots over 60 since they just changed the rule recently? What, did the Europeans fire all the under 60 crowd. Probably less than .1% with the thousands of flights a day operated by U.S. carriers. We should do it since the EU has. Good reason! Maybe we should build a Maginal line to keep out terrorist too. It worked for the french. This is not about age discrimination or safety. Just greed..on both sides of the fence.

D

Latest resources

Back