Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know this guy running for ALPA pres?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tejas-Jet said:
All of the above is ....hmmmmm..."nice".

But have you gone and presented a resolution at your LEC meeting? That way it is on the record, vioted on, and , if passed, taken to the MEC level where the entire MEC muct discuss and vote on the issue.

"Calling"..."E-mailing"..."making feelings clear"...gets it off your chest...but doesn't get it to a vote at the MEC level.

Tejas
Yes I have. Actually I was a rep for two years. I second your opinon about presenting a resolution. The LEC meeting is the place where the membership has the most power to get something started.

John is a stand up guy, more than I can say for Duane. Duane has done well with the finances of ALPA, but what good is a warchest if your afraid to go to war.

If you want John elected, tell your local council reps, they are the ones who vote for president.

I've spent many hours with John in the cockpit, listening, and learning the history of my airline, and the industry of the last 25 years.

John is smart, well spoken, and honest. He understands the politics of office, and the relationships between the top and bottom. I belive he will represent all of us at different carriers fairly and equally.

Good luck to all of us, we need it.

JP4user said:
I don't have a clue. Both of their track records speak for themself though.

Candidates run on thier dreams and ideals, incumbants run on thier record.

DW has done an excellent job building political coalitions in WashingtonDC. While the average line pilot has no clue about this or the value, it furthers the agenda of ALPA.

JP4user said:
I doubt you really are Duane but I have no doubt you have the ear of some of those anal plugs in Herndon. I would hope you tell them that there is a groundswell of disgust with their obnoxious salaries and dismal performance.

Your insults speak more about you than anyone in Herndon. However, despite your ignorant remarks and attitude, ALPA Nat'l has alienated themselves with the average line pilot.

As far as the salaries, we'll see this BOD if any one has the guts to cut the salaries.

The problem is though, again and again, the average line pilot is about as smart, politically, as a box of frozen rocks.

The average line pilot responds to the current economic choas like a mob fenzy. They remind me of the lower class that riot thier own neighborhoods and hang thier own when socio-political tensions erupt.

Air Line pilots are like inner city blacks. Always blaming someone else, always attacking thier fellow pilots like black on black on crime, ignorant and uneducated, pissing where they eat only to complain the food sucks.

So much for calm cool professionals....

All of the problems of any union start in the mirror. Education and activism. Once a line pilot gets informed on the issues and realizes bashing ALPA is for the ignorant, he'll realize that only positive change occurs from stepping up to the plate and saying "How can I help"

Your 1.95% is expected. Your volunteerism is required.

Last edited:
Duane Woerth hasn't been a line pilot for at least 15 years. Prior to that, he was NWA's MEC chairman.

Rez characterizes Prater as a "politician" and implies he's not to be trusted.

At least he's been on the line for the past 3 years.TC

AA717driver said:
Duane Woerth hasn't been a line pilot for at least 15 years. Prior to that, he was NWA's MEC chairman.

Rez characterizes Prater as a "politician" and implies he's not to be trusted.

At least he's been on the line for the past 3 years.TC

All valid points....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Candidates run on thier dreams and ideals, incumbants run on thier record.

Duane's record sucks as far as acting like a true union leader. The disgusting slide of pay and benefits combined with weak and ineffectual leadership is all to apparent. What record is he going to run on? How he has maintained a bloated W2 compared to his peers he represents?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
DW has done an excellent job building political coalitions in WashingtonDC. While the average line pilot has no clue about this or the value, it furthers the agenda of ALPA.

The average line pilot wants his dignity back. He also wants a fair wage and to be able to count on their retirement. Those handy dandy political coalitions make for great public relations stories and expensive diners for the Herndon boys club, but they do not pay the bills for the line pilots.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Your insults speak more about you than anyone in Herndon. However, despite your ignorant remarks and attitude, ALPA Nat'l has alienated themselves with the average line pilot.

I was trying to be nice. I wish I could write what I really think of him. However judging by your second sentenance I think you are actually seeing the light. The membership within the union is rotting to the core fed on mistrust and again seeing weak leadership from Herndon.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
As far as the salaries, we'll see this BOD if any one has the guts to cut the salaries.

Why doesn't he have the guts to cut them himself? Lead by example and see what it is like to survive on what his membership has been hacked down to.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
The problem is though, again and again, the average line pilot is about as smart, politically, as a box of frozen rocks.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
The average line pilot responds to the current economic choas like a mob fenzy. They remind me of the lower class that riot thier own neighborhoods and hang thier own when socio-political tensions erupt.

No we need to have a mob mentality. This touchy feely cowering in the corner approach has decimate this profession. It is long overdue for some real knock down unionism. All the political coalitions in the world wil not stop the backward slide until we make them.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Air Line pilots are like inner city blacks. Always blaming someone else, always attacking thier fellow pilots like black on black on crime, ignorant and uneducated, pissing where they eat only to complain the food sucks.

I disagree.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
All of the problems of any union start in the mirror. Education and activism. Once a line pilot gets informed on the issues and realizes bashing ALPA is for the ignorant, he'll realize that only positive change occurs from stepping up to the plate and saying "How can I help"

Hard for people to get involved when they don't trust the people that represent them Further, it is even harder to get someone who has taken a loss of their retirements or huge paycuts to show any willingness to follow a leader or organization that is paying absurd salaries to such leaders.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Your 1.95% is expected. Your volunteerism is required.

Not from me any longer. I wised up a long time ago.

Last edited:
JP4user said:
Duane's record sucks as far as acting like a true union leader. The disgusting slide of pay and benefits combined with weak and ineffectual leadership is all to apparent. What record is he going to run on? How he has maintained a bloated W2 compared to his peers he represents?

I really don't think you have the ability to measure how the President of ALPA's job performance should be measured. You measure it by your personal circumstance. The disgusting slide of benefits was voted on and agreed to by your peers. The fact that you try to blame the President shows your ignorance.

The average line pilot wants his dignity back. He also wants a fair wage and to be able to count on their retirement. Those handy dandy political coalitions make for great public relations stories and expensive diners for the Herndon boys club, but they do not pay the bills for the line pilots.

Well first of all, don't come to work looking for your dignity. Why not find it before you come to work so you don't have to "claim" it. Sure, your dignity is all about being a jet pilot making the big bucks. But then you and your peers voted that away.

Are you telling me that DW has your dignity. He is responsible?. How old are you?

I was trying to be nice. I wish I could write what I really think of him. However judging by your second sentenance I think you are actually seeing the light. The membership within the union is rotting to the core fed on mistrust and again seeing weak leadership from Herndon.

Yup.. but you think the membership would be objective enough. Instead they whine about their circumstance blaming ALPA for the actions of terrorist, management, gov't and the economy. How pathetic. You'd think Air Line Pilots would be smart. Most are...many ae not.

Why doesn't he have the guts to cut them himself? Lead by example and see what it is like to survive on what his membership has been hacked down to.

Because he can't. This is what I am talking about: You do not know what you are talking about! The fact that he can't and you don't know why says you are the problem not ALPA.

No we need to have a mob mentality. This touchy feely cowering in the corner approach has decimate this profession. It is long overdue for some real knock down unionism. All the political coalitions in the world wil not stop the backward slide until we make them.

How'd the mob mentaility work for PATCO? Once you go illegal or unethical, all bets are off... Besides you had your chance. Now you are just bitter..

I disagree.

I know. If you agreed you'd have to take responsibility.

Hard for people to get involved when they don't trust the people that represent them Further, it is even harder to get someone who has taken a loss of their retirements or huge paycuts to show any willingness to follow a leader or organization that is paying absurd salaries to such leaders.

So what do you suggest? How about working toward regaining the trust and respect. It takes two. If you don't trust or respect your union leaders.. THEN DON"T VOTE THEM IN! or RECALL THEM. The trick is YOU have to do something!

Not from me any longer. I wised up a long time ago.

Yup.. you had your chance and you blew it. Maybe the guys that are still active can change thier modus operandi....

Rez O. Lewshun said:

Rez, you know that I agree that influence in DC is certainly important for the profession, but the time has come to prioritize. Captain Woerth has done an excellent job in DC, but should that really be our top priority? The number one responsibility of any labor organization is collective bargaining. Under the leadership of Captain Woerth, ALPA has failed miserably in this responsibility. While ALPA accounts have continued to grow and relationships have been built on Capital Hill (all good things, don't get me wrong), the profession has taken a hit on the collective bargaining front that will take several decades to recover from. Individual pilot groups certainly share in the blame, but a true leader should take responsibility and admit that the "buck stops here."

Is Captain Prater the right guy for the job? I honestly don't know yet. I've received several campaign mailings from him, and I've liked what I've seen, but I still need more information before deciding if he can lead us in the direction we need to go. At this point, I'm just keeping an open mind. I won't get on the "anybody but Woerth" bandwagon, but I would like to see a change if someone is qualified. Hopefully Captain Prater turns out to be the right guy.

Latest resources

Back