Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know this guy running for ALPA pres?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If he stands up and screams on TV and at Congress instead of sitting in a suit in the back rooms, I'll pull for him easily. Our industry is not only under attack, but some think the status quo is just fine???? I really don't want the magazine anymore, I KNOW WE'RE GETTING SCREWED, send that to the rest of the world. I personally don't care who gets elected, as long as they do something, actually ANYTHING, it's way way too late. Stand up and FIGHT!!
Our union careers are so undersupported, I'd say we should drop ALPA and start an association. Doctors have one, they are still able to manage their lives, getting pummeled from the insurance companies, but they are able to stand up and fight much better than we are. Our industries are very similar in the end result.

My sources at Continetal say he is a full term CO striker.

I just read his changing the ALPA status quo and that would be good enough for me. Those blowhards in Herndon now are out of touch with the reality of those on the line.

Last edited:
I met John a few times when I was EWR based. Seems like a standup guy (especially being a full term striker). We really need a strong unionist in there, and he has my vote.

I have met John a few times and he will have my vote also. He is not full of hot air like some other people I know. He has already proven himself twice.

Hired by Continental in January 1978, he flew as a B727 Second Officer and First Officer in Houston, Denver and the Air Micronesia Pacific operation. Following Lorenzo’s takeover of Continental he served as the ALPA Guam S/O Rep until furloughed in May 1983. While furloughed, he attended the University of Chengchi in Taipei continuing MBA studies begun at Arizona State and University of Guam.

Recalled to Continental he returned to flying from Houston 23 days before CAL Bankruptcy I. Seven days later the MEC voted to strike and Prater was appointed by the MEC to set up nation wide picketing. John was elected as the MEC Secretary Treasurer a few months into the strike. He was appointed by President Duffy as the Association’s AFL-CIO Labor Coordinator to develop union support in the fight against Lorenzo and lobby for a change to bankruptcy laws. While new bankruptcy laws were passed, Continental was exempted and the strike continued.

In 1984, Captain Prater accepted a part time job along with 78 other CAL strikers as instructors at the United Denver Training Center. Many of the United 570 were trained and introduced to ALPA and the need for strikes by Continental pilots. When United pilots struck, Prater along with the other CAL pilots honored their strike and were subsequently fired by United. Captain Prater has been quoted many times that “while ALPA’s bank account may have been nearly depleted, 1985 was a high water mark for ALPA Unity and Strength”. Following the United strike, ALPA membership support for the Continental strike became stronger than ever.

1n 1985 during the strike, Prater was elected as S/O Rep for Houston. The CAL strike ended on Halloween 1985 in a Biloxi bankruptcy court. Following a year as the Director of Training for upstart McClain Air, in 1986 he returned to Continental in seniority order with ALPA no longer their Union.

Seems like he has an impressive bio that would make him qualified for the position.

Jonny Sacko said:
If he stands up and screams on TV and at Congress instead of sitting in a suit in the back rooms, I'll pull for him easily. Our industry is not only under attack, but some think the status quo is just fine???? I really don't want the magazine anymore, I KNOW WE'RE GETTING SCREWED, send that to the rest of the world. I personally don't care who gets elected, as long as they do something, actually ANYTHING, it's way way too late. Stand up and FIGHT!!

A leader can only stand up and fight if he knows he has the support of his troops. When only 30-40% of pilots vote against concessionary contracts, that leader has very little leverage. Can you imagine an MEC chairman going into his CEO's office saying, "I've got 40% of those pilots behind me." You kidding me??? He'd be laughed out of the office.

With the ALPA BOD coming up next month, how many LEC resolutions have been passed calling for Duane's ouster? Or are the same 14-15 pilots still showing up at LEC meetings? How many are attending MEC meetings? Believe me, that sends a message....And remember, just telling your LEC rep in the crew room that you want Duane out doesn't cut it....it takes a resolution to be voted on at your LEC meeting...it takes involvement....gee what a unique concept, that an organization would expect it's members to get involved.

Tejas

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
With the ALPA BOD coming up next month, how many LEC resolutions have been passed calling for Duane's ouster? Or are the same 14-15 pilots still showing up at LEC meetings? How many are attending MEC meetings? Believe me, that sends a message....And remember, just telling your LEC rep in the crew room that you want Duane out doesn't cut it....it takes a resolution to be voted on at your LEC meeting...it takes involvement....gee what a unique concept, that an organization would expect it's members to get involved.

Tejas

Tejas

OR:::::

If we could all just get off our rumps and vote at the next MEC meeting, it would accomplish much, such as, more than 40% in approval. If we could spread the word, please, please get involved. At least as much as GO TO THE MEC MEETING". <------ I don't know, just an idea of not pissing off, but calling for help??

I've known John for almost 10 years. When I was at CoEx and we were working on Contract '97 we were all one union (IACP). We had a strike committee that consisted of both mainline and Express guys (shared leadership, resources, etc). John was the head of that committee. I have nothing but good things to say about him. He was supportive of us Express guys then, when it wasn't popular to support us. He recognized the RJ threat and fought to include us and bring us into a mainline environment rather than just scope us and ignore the rising problem. He fought along side us and defended us even to his "mainline" brethren that would question why the IACP was wasting money on a strike committee after they signed. He kept everything running until we signed our contract. He didn't withhold money or services from us. I guess what I'm trying to say is he treated us as equals, clear back in 1997-1998. One thing is for certain, he will tell you the truth. You may not want to hear it, but he'll be upfront and honest with you. Some may not like that, but I can assure you he isn't your typical two-faced politician. He's a good guy.

Before I get flamed, I have no dog in this fight anymore. I'm at a non-ALPA acmi carrier. So, I don't have a vote and no direct benefit from his winning. (Just a concern over where the whole profession is going).
But, if you want change, I mean real change, not change in name only, put John in there. The slide has to stop sometime, and he might just be the guy to do it...

Latest resources

Back