Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know this guy running for ALPA pres?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
b19 said:
You talk about the average line pilot being politically ignorant, and then make racist remarks about "inner city blacks".

Why don't you look at our military and realize how many inner city blacks are fighting in Iraq and elswhere.

Until you apologize you sir, are an ASSSS.

Don't try to play your bullsh!t race card here. Get the he!! out. More whites are in that war, already done by your moronic speakers, Sharpton and Jessie, which was debunked on national tv after the war started. Piss off

Ya, talk trash about the person, but don't try that crap. Grow up. Stay on the topic.

PCL_128 said:
Quite simply, because that's not the way the system is set up.

You'll need to reference policy or precedence. You saying the system is... is not conclusive.

PCL_128 said:
The President of the Association is the final decision maker. I don't expect him to second guess every contract decision that an MEC/pilot group makes, but he should definitely think long and hard before signing multiple contracts that contain nearly 50% cuts in compensation.

ALPA National functions as our repsresentative in Washington DC on National issues. He is not the final decision maker for local MEC's. If the president was as you suggested then the new complaint would be that ALPA National meddles in MEC affairs too much. As of now that is a managements compliant.

PCL_128 said:
Pilot groups and individual MECs are frequently caught between a rock and a hard place and feel they have no choice. Their vision is clouded by fears of lost jobs and bankruptcy at their own airlines. The President is an objective third party not under duress that can make the final decision over these things.

This is a big statement that you are making. Which to me reads that MEC's are not repsonsibile for thier own... If this were the case, then the mind set would be from the MEC and NC.. we'll put out a crappy TA and just let the President shoot it down, then we'll go back to the company and say... sorry, the Big Guy said no.

This happened at Midway and the company did shut down and ALPA pilots lost thier jobs. If the President said no to the UAL, DAL and NWA concessionary TA's the company might say 'fine... we are going to cut costs somehow... via massive furlough'.... Now, the President has caused more people to lose thier jobs. A 100% pay cut is alot worse than 50%.

Let's keep in mind the current circumstance.. terrorism, gov't and poor management.

PCL_128 said:
In my opinion, Captain Woerth has been derelict in his duties in this area. The profession may never recover from the past five years, and I think the President shares in the blame for that.

What should he have done differently? Specifically....

I think if he was derelict then a recall would be going down.... I think any president in this current environement would not have a favorable approval rating...

I say he should have made a better connection to the membership. Pragmatic and mature people understand terrorism, predatory management, anti labor Admins, etc... What they don't like is aloof or distant leadership, like DW.

If DW kept a good connection with the membership, I think we could've been much more effective in convincing management and gov't of our collective power. However, we can't convince managment or gov't if we are in fighting and don't understand how the organization functions... this is one of our big problems that we can control. Our own understanding and involvment.

Do Air Line Pilots have to have great/good contracts to be effective ALPA members? Is thier pride in profession dependant on income?

My concern is, despite DW's leadership failure with the rank and file, as Air Line Pilots we've disregarded our leadership role. We have assumed a dependant role on one guy....

Which is confusing.. becuase on the Line, we are the leaders of the operation. But once we leave the flightdeck we assume a followership role in our careers, putting our hopes and wishes into one guy?

I won't do that. The president of ALPA is not the sole provider of good contracts for my career. I am not giving him or her that much control....

PCL_128 said:
In his defense, it's my understanding that Capt. Burke worked extensively with IFALPA as part of his duties as IACP President. I don't believe this will be a new responsibility for him.

copy that... the truth is what it is....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You'll need to reference policy or precedence. You saying the system is... is not conclusive.

Are you disputing that the President is ultimately required to sign any new CBA before it is officially ratified? I didn't think that there was a question about that.

This is a big statement that you are making. Which to me reads that MEC's are not repsonsibile for thier own... If this were the case, then the mind set would be from the MEC and NC.. we'll put out a crappy TA and just let the President shoot it down, then we'll go back to the company and say... sorry, the Big Guy said no.

This happened at Midway and the company did shut down and ALPA pilots lost thier jobs. If the President said no to the UAL, DAL and NWA concessionary TA's the company might say 'fine... we are going to cut costs somehow... via massive furlough'.... Now, the President has caused more people to lose thier jobs. A 100% pay cut is alot worse than 50%.

This line of thinking is what has lead us to the horrendous position where are now in. "Fifty percent of my pay is better than none." That attitude is destroying us. The line must be drawn somewhere. Is 40% better also? How about 25%? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, where does the Association President draw the line? Furloughs and bankrupt carriers are certainly horrible things, but you can't let the fears of them dictate your actions entirely.

Let's keep in mind the current circumstance.. terrorism, gov't and poor management.

None of which justified the draconian cuts we have experienced over the past five years. Careful, you are sounding like the management goons that sit across the table from us. "You guys are going to have to take these concessions. What, with terrorism and all these taxes we just can't afford to pay you that much anymore." We don't manage airlines and balance the books. We fly airplanes.

What should he have done differently? Specifically....

For starters, refused to sign the concessionary agreements at the legacy carriers.

PCL_128 said:
Are you disputing that the President is ultimately required to sign any new CBA before it is officially ratified? I didn't think that there was a question about that.

Nope. What I am saying is the President isn't soley responsibile for the agreement. Again, the NC with managment creates the document with the cuts. The MEC approves it. Sends it to the membership. The memebership ratifies it. Then it goes to the President. So why does the president bear the majority of repsonsibilty?

PCL_128 said:
This line of thinking is what has lead us to the horrendous position where are now in. "Fifty percent of my pay is better than none." That attitude is destroying us. The line must be drawn somewhere. Is 40% better also? How about 25%? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, where does the Association President draw the line? Furloughs and bankrupt carriers are certainly horrible things, but you can't let the fears of them dictate your actions entirely.

Explain 50% is better than none to the guy that gets furloughed and has kids and a house payment. Perhaps until you've been furloughed and displaced a couple times and have to explain to the wife that ALPA is taking one for the team and your family is the sacrificial lamb... you'll understand the reality of what is going on out there....

Everyone wants someone else to fall on thier sword.

I understand your position....decisions made have real consequences. But you are rattling a saber without the personal repsonaibilty of the consequences.. IOW.. it is easier said than done.

PCL_128 said:
None of which justified the draconian cuts we have experienced over the past five years. Careful, you are sounding like the management goons that sit across the table from us. "You guys are going to have to take these concessions. What, with terrorism and all these taxes we just can't afford to pay you that much anymore." We don't manage airlines and balance the books. We fly airplanes.

That is your opinion.. again. Which is saying that you know better than the UAL, DAL, Alaska, NWA, CAL NC, MEC, membership, legal counsel, both internal and external and E&FA.

You maybe right. But only time will tell... which means that it is a guess on your part... Not the pragmatic application that all of the above pilots groups went thru....

PCL_128 said:
For starters, refused to sign the concessionary agreements at the legacy carriers.

It is not that simple....as much as you'd like it to be.... Why not ask DW and the other National Officers at the BOD this Fall.....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Why not ask DW and the other National Officers at the BOD this Fall.....

Trust me. I plan on it.

Cookie Monster said:
Duane has done well with the finances of ALPA, but what good is a warchest if your afraid to go to war.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....how can you go to war when it is pretty clear that the troops don't want war.

Look at the majority of pilots that have voted in favor of concessionary contracts...those guys aren't willing to go to war....the majority...

Tejas

John Prater is a TRUE unionist, a real stand up guy, a pilot's pilot.

FULL TERM STRIKER!!!

He is also one to bring all parties together to create some sort of concensus amoung the group rather than allow continued infighting to prevail.

While he has always been a major pilot, yet he respects the plight of regional pilots as well and, IMO, beleives a pilot is a pilot no matter what he equip his is on. At least that's my take based on my many years of dealing with him.

I am not his personal cheer leader, in fact I haven't spoken with John in over 5 years, but I will say that every time I have had a question as to the direction of our contract whether at COEX or at CAL he always returned my calls promptly and provided sound advice based on reality. He stands up to management in a manner that is productive to pilots, yet in a way that keeps mgmt on their toes.

I believe he will be the one to save ALPA.

While anything is better than worethless, John is more than a solid alternative. I would pit him up against any ALPA candidate ever.

Btw, I am not an "ALPA-ist", I do not drink kool-aid, I am just calling it like I see it. I don't even wear my ALPA pin (as long as D. Woerthelss is pres)Honestly, I really mean it when I tell you John Prater is probably the best candidate to run for ALPA in 30 years. I truly hope he wins.

Hmmmm... I think I'll call his campaign HQ and volunteer.

Latest resources

Back