• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annoying things your CA/FO does, 2011 version

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes I do, however there is no reason to hand fly up to 270. I don't understand the fun of it but I also let them fly the airplane they way they want to. I don't say anything to them and I don't mumble about it, it just cause me more work and can make the passengers sick. Hand fly up to 10 and maybe a little past and your are just like everyone else. Hand fly for the first 30 minutes of the flight and you you make yourself look like the FNG.

Hand fly the first 30 minutes of every flight and you'll eventually look like a stud.

Let's remember our overall all goal: safe flight. Anything above and beyond that is gravy. So I don't have anything that annoys me, just bad habits I try to correct. Like not listening to the new frequency for a moment before transmitting, throttle jockying, driving the airplane to the ground, full brakes/TRs on landing on a 11,000 foot runway, briefing every detail of the approach (I won't remember the important stuff if you tell me every insignificant number you can find), not slowing for turbulence and anything that is not considerate of the passengers or safe.

In order: fly safe, fly smooth, save money.

If your 600 was magical, and you had it all figured out, congrats.

Nope, my first 600hrs weren't magical and I didn't have it all figured out - never claimed to.

I *did* know how to talk on the radio when operating in the ATC system, however...

It's not just FO's who suck at hand flying. Hand flying a jet up to cruise is easier than a 172 and if you really think this keeps you sharp, it doesn't. All it does is make everyone nauseous.

Not if you are smooth. Every aircraft can be flown smoothly and without risk of nausea with proper concentration.

Why do so many pilots raise the gear and check out? Yes, it is easier to manage the aircraft if you are verifying the autopilot is following your commands, but what do you do when the AP goes tits up at 410 and you have to hand fly until you can make your descent?

I'm not advocating violating RVSM rules, don't try to make that implication. Everyone should have the AP on when entering RVSM. But I think, in low workload departures, the pilot should hand fly from time to time to maintain their skills.

Anybody that can't make papa landing on 4 in Lga in a turboprop.

Yes, let's stay sharp on hand flying skills. But hand flying past 10K is rude. It forces the other guy to focus on your flying. Really, if you're 15K+ turn on the f@*king autopilot.

Also, stop passing gas...

Yes, let's stay sharp on hand flying skills. But hand flying past 10K is rude. It forces the other guy to focus on your flying. Really, if you're 15K+ turn on the f@*king autopilot.

What?

As a pilot and passenger I love a good, smooth autopilot as much as the next guy, but geez, have we been so indoctrinated as systems monitors instead of aviators that people really think there's a difference between hand-flying at 5,000ft or 25,000ft?

Ernie Gann is rolling in his grave.

If one's hand-flying skills are lacking, its because they have been allowed to atrophy due to use of automation. It happens to all of us, but there's only one way to get those skills back...

What?

As a pilot and passenger I love a good, smooth autopilot as much as the next guy, but geez, have we been so indoctrinated as systems monitors instead of aviators that people really think there's a difference between hand-flying at 5,000ft or 25,000ft?

Ernie Gann is rolling in his grave.

If one's hand-flying skills are lacking, its because they have been allowed to atrophy due to use of automation. It happens to all of us, but there's only one way to get those skills back...

Hey dumb dumb.

Let it be known I COULD hand fly the entire flight. That not the point. When I hand fly the other guy has to watch my every move. Altitude, heading, speed...you get the idea. With the AP on he can relax and monitor like he should.

Hand fly to 1K to 10K or so and turn the effing auto pilot on. It's easy and professional. If you need to practice hand flying to the flight levels then you have a problem and should just resign. Otherwise man up and turn the AP on and give the other guy a much needed break. After all, he's been flying with you for 5 days...

Latest resources

Back