• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anderson to align capacity with demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of the current NYC ER ranks about 130 guys have 07/08 hire dates.

The most junior of those is about 330 from the bottom and the most senior is about 1160 from the bottom of the combined list.

They'd have to furlough quite a few to get to any of the ER guys.

It would make sense to just go ahead and displace some of these guys now though. They most likely would be displaced after SOC anyway so might as well put them where they are actually needed now if the ER is going to end up overstaffed from these latest reductions.

Personally I think they will keep the lists separate for any downsizing. If you look at the list even if you went in seniority order the amount would be equal from both sides if they did anything more than the bottom 200 or so (the bottom is a little funky with a lot of DAL guys, but it averages out as the number increases).

As much as management as well as ourselves probably can't wait to see where we fall on the big list aircraft/position-wise i think the points being made that there are no firm dates on SOC and everything is subject to government surprises are valid.

They can still get the job done without overcomplicating things with a premature joint bid.

Our last class was 5/08.

Our last class was 5/08.

Well we definitely didn't hire 130 guys in one month ever in this last round of hiring and they all certainly didn't go to the ER.

07/08 was meant to be mean 2007/2008 dates....it's too late to edit. Thanks though!

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't get it. It won't be the last time. :) The month before me they did hire about 100. Those were the good days huh!?

That's the idea. Problem is that Virgin and some of the others aren't in the business to make a profit. Branson wants to take out United, or Delta, and is subsidizing Virgin America specifically to undermine our domestic revenues in an effort to force US carriers to be less competitive head to head on his transoceanic operations.

I've always wondered why DL doesn't use it's aircraft size to it's advantage and run much bigger planes on high load markets against competitors that can't. Run big, lower CASM airplanes and undercut ticket prices until your competition can't stand it. Cutting seats to try and maintain yields has allowed carriers like this to get a foot hold.

It has been tried, but the concept of losing $10 a passenger and making it up in volume did not work so well when Mullin was proudly professing that Delta's balance sheet would let us run the rest of the industry into insolvency. None the less, there are some markets where Delta will go head to head with a better product and lower CASM.

Also, if you look at the CASM, some of the big jets configured for long haul would get slaughtered by 737-700's. The only real clear cut advantage for that type of competition is the 757-300. Nothing in the Delta fleet (or a LCC's fleet, can match it).

I think at some point Delta will buy a 777-300 to get cost effective wide body equipment on some routes, but that will be off in the future when there is demand for that capacity.

Last edited:
It has been tried, but the concept of losing $10 a passenger and making it up in volume did not work so well when Mullin was proudly professing that Delta's balance sheet would let us run the rest of the industry into insolvency. None the less, there are some markets where Delta will go head to head with a better product and lower CASM.

Also, if you look at the CASM, some of the big jets configured for long haul would get slaughtered by 737-700's. The only real clear cut advantage for that type of competition is the 757-300. Nothing in the Delta fleet (or a LCC's fleet, can match it).

I think at some point Delta will buy a 777-300 to get cost effective wide body equipment on some routes, but that will be off in the future when there is demand for that capacity.

My crystal ball says 18 months (Dec 2010) for that big 777.

What is the difference between the 777-300 and the ones we have now? Is it range? If it is, why would we get it? We don't top the ones we have off now - or so I've been told.

Go look at the specs of the 777-300. It makes the 777-200 look like a 757 when sitting next to a 767. It is a lot bigger, carriers a lot more, but does not go quite as far as the new 200's we are getting.

Latest resources

Back