• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anderson to align capacity with demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know you were flaming... but there is a lot of truth to the statement.

The difference this time around is that Delta reacts much more quickly to market conditions. Delta's management is much more operationally focused and unlike Delta's old management (and United's current management) is less focused on harvard'esque case studies by 28 year old MBA's who had never been in airline ops. Now Delta is being run by 50 somethings with a lot of PIC time in the equipment.

I think Delta always has to be on guard for creeping arrogance. Yes, we are the biggest. Yes, we are well positioned, BUT we are at the mercy of each and every customer we serve. We need their business.

I think many of your points are vaild-except two:

-The first being who runs Delta now. It is good that the company dumped out many of the Harvard MBAs who came in on the Mullin gravy train. Those guys were incompetant and wasted tons of money. The only thing worse is what you now have... All the new upper mgmt is from NWA. There is no worse track record among any modern airline than the one earned by NWA mgmt (as far as mgmt-employee relations go.) These NWA guys are smart in some ways, but they are mean as hell! It may take a while to become obvious-but these are not good people-they are just waiting to screw you!

-The second point I disagree with is "creeping arrogance." The arrogance of DAL mgmt. is "creeping" about like a cheetah "creeps" after a fleeing gazelle. DAL has become the 800lb gorilla-and mgmt. has no idea what the hell is customer is about. I can tell you all about many customers who are pissed-they are very pissed about flying around in crappy old Saab 340s in the middle of the summer. They will jump on the first option that comes along. (Have you noticed how Allegiant is showing up at more and more of these places?)
*That-General Lee is what you call a first-class-ass-kicking, knocking right on your door.
-Sweat your pink butt off just once in a 135 degree Saab 340, and watch how fast you can find that AirTran or Allegiant site the next time your travel needs arise!

-I know many people in many departments at Delta-and what I hear astounds me. You should listen to these warnings. These new NWA tools are gonna wreck the place (they hijacked the board and all the important upper management positions.) The are trying hard piss off the entire customer base as well as the employees. The old Delta was once famous for great service-the new NWA is pissing on its grave.

-INTL is cratering (after a tremedous cash outlay,) and domestic is slipping more and more to SWA, Allegiant, and AirTran. Not exactly an enviable job these NWA clowns are performing so far.

Last edited:
I am not to sure of that. Remember that you are getting the version of a person that has been at DAL for a very long time. They are going to be peeved the way these Northerners, err Texan are run things. It is different than the way it has been done. They are not used to being told to kiss the good ole boys network in the six.

I will agree that it is a different Delta.

Post of the Month!

-Awesome!!!

You do know you are a dick right?

ACL has been the most informed AND informative and one of if not THE most non-confrontational folks on this and AP Forums.....you on the other hand are a dick.

I've watched a few of Anderson's televised meetings and talked to many people he interacts with. Thus far, he says and does the right things. What he writes is intelligent, insightful, pragmatic and very respectful of Delta's culture.

CRJ567, passengers would like it if we flew 747-400's to Birmingham, even if it took them 45 minutes to de-plane. It just is not realistic. I was around when the Saabs and E120's replaced the Bandeirante and everyone loved them. Then folks loved the CRJ for a few years until it was no longer good enough.

Fact is the turboprops make more sense on most of these <400nm routes than the jets do. It would make sense to me to order a few new Dash 8's or ATR's for the fleet. When passengers understand a ATR burns 1/3 the gas of a CRJ-700 and gets them to their destination in larger seats with a bigger cabin and less polution, maybe they would begin to understand these are thoroughly modern and much more recent designs than the Allegiant MD82 down the ramp.

Last edited:
Hey Fins,

aren't you supposed to be studying?

back to the books!

701EV

You do know you are a dick right?

ACL has been the most informed AND informative and one of if not THE most non-confrontational folks on this and AP Forums.....you on the other hand are a dick.

Ohh, You GOT ME!

-Your cutting wit! Your gifted prose! Your almost Shakespearian mastery of language!!! What a beautiful masterwork of insult!
-I am a "DICK!"
-WOW!

ACL65 is only here to stroke his own ego and pretend that he has the "inside line" on this or is "in the know" on that. Sad-really, but believe what you wish.

Have you ever heard of "insider trading?" Go look it up, and you will see that about 1/2 of the things ACL claims to have knowledge of fall into this category-hence-he is full of crap.

-But I am a "DICK." I bow to your obvious mastery of the skill of the insult.

I've watched a few of Anderson's televised meetings and talked to many people he interacts with. Thus far, he says and does the right things. What he writes is intelligent, insightful, pragmatic and very respectful of Delta's culture.

CRJ567, passengers would like it if we flew 747-400's to Birmingham, even if it took them 45 minutes to de-plane. It just is not realistic. I was around when the Saabs and E120's replaced the Bandeirante and everyone loved them. Then folks loved the CRJ for a few years until it was no longer good enough.

Fact is the turboprops make more sense on most of these <400nm routes than the jets do. It would make sense to me to order a few new Dash 8's or ATR's for the fleet. When passengers understand a ATR burns 1/3 the gas of a CRJ-700 and gets them to their destination in larger seats with a bigger cabin and less polution, maybe they would begin to understand these are thoroughly modern and much more recent designs than the Allegiant MD82 down the ramp.

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!

This is my point exactly! You see, the problem I have with the Saabs is that they are apparently intended to replace the ATR... WTF, WTF, WTF??????

Saabs burn about the same fuel as an ATR or a Dash 8, yet carry 1/2 the people!! On what planet does it make sense to replace ATRs or crjs with these crappy little buckets? If the new NWA gave half a rat about passenger comfort, they would be buying something one hell of a lot nicer than a freaking 340-(Maybe even something with an APU!) Something that can carry twice the people in much better comfort, for exactly the same burn!!

-Saab 340s are just an utter disgrace with all the nice newer turboprops to choose from.

P.S.- I hope you are correct about Andersen. Time will tell. As for Steenland-we already know very well what he is-and don't forget-he is on the board. Plus-the vast majority of Steenland's upper managers at NWA have already evicted the DAL guys who had run things before the merger.

Last edited:
You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!

This is my point exactly! You see, the problem I have with the Saabs is that they are apparently intended to replace the ATR... WTF, WTF, WTF??????

Saabs burn about the same fuel as an ATR or a Dash 8, yet carry 1/2 the people!! On what planet does it make sense to replace ATRs or crjs with these crappy little buckets? If the new NWA gave half a rat about passenger comfort, they would be buying something one hell of a lot nicer than a freaking 340-(Maybe even something with an APU!) Something that can carry twice the people in much better comfort, for exactly the same burn!!

-Saab 340s are just an utter disgrace with all the nice newer turboprops to choose from.

P.S.- I hope you are correct about Andersen. Time will tell. As for Steenland-we already know very well what he is-and don't forget-he is on the board. Plus-the vast majority of Steenland's upper managers at NWA have already evicted the DAL guys who had run things before the merger.

Were there too many seats to Hilton Head on the ATR? That plane was too big for many of the ATL markets. The Saab allows for higher yields due to less seats total. You can fill an ATR with cheap tickets, or fill a Saab with expensive tickets. The Dash-8-400 is the same as the ATR, when it comes to smaller markets. That Dash could be used on longer, thin routes, but not short stuff to small cities.

I think this might be just the beginning of several other airline announcements for Fall cuts, mine included. Before we all go throwing bombs at pilots of competing airlines, let's take a deep breath, remember why we all got into this business, and realize that any pilots out of jobs at any airline is bad for all of us. I have a lot of Delta pilot friends. I hope any cuts are short lived and that a nice early out package will take care of the staffing needs through attrition.

IAHERJ

this is probably the best post on this thread, I agree 100%

Latest resources

Back