ALPA is dead!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Their is no pension at Jetblue

Actually I thought JetBlue was lobbying. They were lobbying washington NOT to change pension legislation. They feel since they do not offer one that it is anticompetitive to allow companies more time to play catch up on underfunded pensions. Is it managements fault that these are underfunded, YES! But who is paying the price. The EMPLOYEES, and not just at the airlines, take a look at Delphi.

So a question to the pilots of the LCCs that have companies lobbying against pension reform. Why do YOU want hard earned pensions taken away from your brothers and sisters?

AAflyer

Not real happy with ALPA or APA, however the deals that have been signed and agreed too in the past few years have been VOTED in by the MAJORITY of the membership and note ALPA alone. What is needed is a change in leadership not a change of union.

along with no pensions at UNITED, USAIRWAYS, and soon to be NORTHWEST and DELTA..............

"We don't want to kill the golden goose; we just want to choke it by the neck until it gives us every last egg it has".....famous ALPA quote and mentality....

Teamsters!

Too bad the Teamsters didn't win those many years ago. We would all be better off.

Anybody see what the latest Netjets TA includes? Huge payraise, free comprehensive benefits package, back pay...wow!

Lets trade in Woerthless and company for the IBT.

TonyC:

Even you must admit that in the grand scheme, ALPA has been a miserable failure.

I think you should be on your knees every damn night praying to whomever you pray with thanks that the company you work for isn't in the passenger carrying business. And I hope for your sake some guy doesn't decide to make a go at it with a lower cost shipping business because at that point, you will see the same pressure on you that the rest of us have had to endure.

You may have a strong MEC and a strong company now, but so did the PanAm, TWA, U, UAL, DAL, and NWA guys at one time.

A350

Once again I will ask this question "What actions could ALPA have taken to keep the pax carriers out of bankruptcy?"
I hear several guys beeatching about ALPA not doing anything; but they never, EVER pipe up about what ALPA could have done!!
Please guys, give me an example of one action ALPA could have taken to save your company or career. Just one. . . .

A350 said:
You may have a strong MEC and a strong company now, but so did the PanAm, TWA, U, UAL, DAL, and NWA guys at one time.
You guys seem to think that ALPA runs airlines. Wake up! ALPA is not responsible for the demise of any airline, any more than UAW is responsible for the demise of the Edsel.

If the best you guys can do is pretend that guys working for profitable carriers are only there because of dumb luck and that we need to be groveling each day to show our appreciation to the gods of chance, then we don't have much to discuss. It didn't take a 9/11 for some of us to see that express cargo provides a much more stable business than passengers. Rather than credit us with a wise choice, you feel better by crediting us with dumb luck. You had the chance, but you chose the early morning wake-ups and dragging your bags through terminals. We didn't. Get over it. It has nothing to do with ALPA.

I happened to see a copy of "Positive Rate" left on an airplane. It did not contain a "NON-MEMBERS" list. Has the leadership decided to protect the non-members or have they decided that it would not be in the interest of the Association for the membership to know the size of the non-members list?

Hey foxhunter:

I've got my October 2005 Positive Rate and on pg. 16 there is the list of the 127 losers.(non-member freeloaders)

What name do you really go by???? I'm betting you're in Block 1 or 2 based on your presumed profile........nervous?

klhoard said:
Once again I will ask this question "What actions could ALPA have taken to keep the pax carriers out of bankruptcy?"
I hear several guys beeatching about ALPA not doing anything; but they never, EVER pipe up about what ALPA could have done!!
Please guys, give me an example of one action ALPA could have taken to save your company or career. Just one. . . .

We could start with the summer of 2000 chaos at UAL. We could go back a bit further to the UAL strike of 85' that led to the "We don't want to kill the golden goose; we just want to choke it by the neck until it gives us every last egg it has".....famous ALPA quote and mentality....

TonyC said:
You guys seem to think that ALPA runs airlines. Wake up! ALPA is not responsible for the demise of any airline, any more than UAW is responsible for the demise of the Edsel.

If the best you guys can do is pretend that guys working for profitable carriers are only there because of dumb luck and that we need to be groveling each day to show our appreciation to the gods of chance, then we don't have much to discuss. It didn't take a 9/11 for some of us to see that express cargo provides a much more stable business than passengers. Rather than credit us with a wise choice, you feel better by crediting us with dumb luck. You had the chance, but you chose the early morning wake-ups and dragging your bags through terminals. We didn't. Get over it. It has nothing to do with ALPA.

Hmm, somehow the sentiment seems familiar, where have I heard it before? Oh yes, a few senior UA captains about 5 years ago... :)

Latest resources

Back