ALPA is dead!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Special Ed said:
I can't speak for all the other airlines, only the 2 ALPA carriers I flew for,(WestAir, and Coex) but without exception, my days off, pay, and QOL all went down when ALPA came in. Why anyone would want them at all is a mystery to me.

How did your days off, pay, and Q of L go down at Continental Express when ALPA came on board in 2001?

-Neal

CFIT said:
Doesn't he make over $500,000.00 a year plus a car? He's just a pilot, you think he would make sacrifices like the people he represents.

Did you know that according to FAA records, Duane Woerth's last FAA physical was in 1998?

Hey TC

TonyC said:
Well, you still don't seem to "get it." Your attitude is just like the other children who pick up their lousy marbles and cry all the way home. "If I was a member, I'd quit," you say. Why not, "If I was a member, I'd use my vote to change the President's compensation"? ANY member can propose a resolution at an LEC meeting, and that resolution can go all the way to change Capt. Woerth's compensation. IF everyone is so upset about it, why has nobody tried to change it?

Because spineless morons like Foxhunter prefer to throw stones from the outside rather than participate in changes from the inside. Again, that's the nice version.

Does ALPA have its warts? Its faults? Its shortcomings? You betcha. As long as it's being run by human beings, there will continue to be mistakes. But for all its warts, for all its blemishes, for all the mistakes that have been made in the past, there is not another organization that better equips pilots to work together to ensure a safe, secure future in professional aviation. If you know of a better way to skin the cat, I'm all ears.

What has ALPA done lately??? I see pensions gone, men who have worked for 35+ years have everything wiped out. 50% pay cuts and more. Everything they worked for is gone, and Duuuuuayne has a new car. Shouldn't a union at least protect the pensions of a retired employee??? They cannot even do that!!! That cannot stop the wage decrease, they cannot stop the increase in medical payments. But.....the management still get raises!!! What can they doooo!!! I am with you, when you say is there a better way to skin a cat. I do not Know, but ALPA has let me and my family down. You ask me, shoot the f**kin cat. And let's start over.

Thank you Tail

tailhookah said:
Yes, you heard it here first. I think that the effectiveness of ALPA is done. All the hard work, sacrifices and DUES have all been flushed down the toilet. The whole idea behind a large nationwide union representing a large portion of airline pilots was nothing other than the ability to organize a solidarity movement to effectively combat against inept and broken management. I'm sorry to report that this has not happend, or will happen. If ALPA was such a solvent organization then all of the alpa mec's would've backed each other up..... but since alpa got in too deep by representing everyone it was a situation that was inescapable. You can't represent one mec that has scope protection from another mec getting larger... it was done and now we all can see that aside from individual greivences protecting single pilots here and there the whole organization has failed all of us. When things started going sour then all of the mec's should have backed each other up and collectively statged walkouts etc. That's how organizing is supposed to work. It didn't happen and from what I can see will never happen. There's too much us vs. them mentalitly in the SAME organization. If I was a paying alpa member (and not furloughed) I would stand up and cancel my membership... what good has it done for you lately?

ps- Duane Woerth has not taken a single paycut yet.... is this the leadership you want representing you?

Thanks tail, I agree

TonyC said:
Well, you still don't seem to "get it." Your attitude is just like the other children who pick up their lousy marbles and cry all the way home. "If I was a member, I'd quit," you say. Why not, "If I was a member, I'd use my vote to change the President's compensation"? ANY member can propose a resolution at an LEC meeting, and that resolution can go all the way to change Capt. Woerth's compensation. IF everyone is so upset about it, why has nobody tried to change it?

Because spineless morons like Foxhunter prefer to throw stones from the outside rather than participate in changes from the inside. Again, that's the nice version.

Does ALPA have its warts? Its faults? Its shortcomings? You betcha. As long as it's being run by human beings, there will continue to be mistakes. But for all its warts, for all its blemishes, for all the mistakes that have been made in the past, there is not another organization that better equips pilots to work together to ensure a safe, secure future in professional aviation. If you know of a better way to skin the cat, I'm all ears.

tony,

The ALPA proposal October 1, 2005 seeks a 8% pay raise DOS, 4% DOS+1, 4% DOS+2, 4% DOS+3. I s this equal to the implied promise when we had the campaign to vote on the merger with ALPA? Geez, I thought everyone expect 30%+. How correct I was.

Yes tony, ALPA at one time was a power, just like the British Empire, no longer. I have no doubt that Duanne will try to work on your behalf until the Association buys him that annuity that will pay him $150,000 per year. I suspect he has little worry that his ALPA pension is underfunded and will be dumped on the PBGC.

I happened to see a copy of "Positive Rate" left on an airplane. It did not contain a "NON-MEMBERS" list. Has the leadership decided to protect the non-members or have they decided that it would not be in the interest of the Association for the membership to know the size of the non-members list?

Thank you for your kind comments. :)

Thanks fox

FoxHunter said:
tony,

The ALPA proposal October 1, 2005 seeks a 8% pay raise DOS, 4% DOS+1, 4% DOS+2, 4% DOS+3. I s this equal to the implied promise when we had the campaign to vote on the merger with ALPA? Geez, I thought everyone expect 30%+. How correct I was.

Yes tony, ALPA at one time was a power, just like the British Empire, no longer. I have no doubt that Duanne will try to work on your behalf until the Association buys him that annuity that will pay him $150,000 per year. I suspect he has little worry that his ALPA pension is underfunded and will be dumped on the PBGC.

I happened to see a copy of "Positive Rate" left on an airplane. It did not contain a "NON-MEMBERS" list. Has the leadership decided to protect the non-members or have they decided that it would not be in the interest of the Association for the membership to know the size of the non-members list?

Thank you for your kind comments. :)

Thanks fox, I agree

Tony C said:

.[/quote]

How does one respond to this type of lunacy. ALPA has turned their back on just about every company out there. I assure you that if your airline was ailing like all the others you would be in the same boat. "A secure future in aviation" you say? WTF are you talking about? Please give me one example where ALPA has helped me secure my future. Please exclude the magazine. You need to get your head out of your as$ pal. Luckily you have landed at an extremely profitable airline. I am sure it had nothing to do with your insight, and nothing to do with ALPA.

Last edited:
ALPA dead?

What chew talkin' bout WILLIS? ALPA is not dead, were just a little quiet right now. See the Major Boys are starting to loose their standings and we (ALPA) have been $h*tting on the Regional Boys for so long, we've got sit in the corner right now. As soon as we figure who is going to get the flying, we'll support them. Hey, we know where to put our lips:D and kiss the A$$ that pays the highest amount of DUES. Don't for get to pay your DUES.

IB6 UB9 said:
Please give me one example where ALPA has helped me secure my future.
Who has been on Capitol Hill lately lobbying for pension reform? YOUR Company?

Latest resources

Back