• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA fails at JB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there is no union, whether ALPA, Teamsters, or in-house, what exactly happens in a M&A scenario?

Doesn't ALPA have some bylaws that address a scenario of merging an ALPA carrier with one that is non-union?

Bond-McC states that a non-union pilot group will be represented by their management in a merger/acquisition. Guess how that's gonna work out?

Bond-McC states that a non-union pilot group will be represented by their management in a merger/acquisition. Guess how that's gonna work out?

Excellent for management...golden parachutes/bonuses/free first class pos space for life...are you implying that's not good?

An in-house union would have been nice if the company indicated it would take any sort of 'friendly' approach to it. They didn't. As Blue Dude said, what's next? I wouldn't vote for the IBT aka 'Dumstahs union'.

It's sad. Regardless of all ALPA's shortcomings, I am realizing today that right now I could have access to the best safety, medical, and legal representation a pilot could want if he gets his butt in a sling. Now I have only jetblue's jv legal squad. I could maybe contribute to a group that is responsible for the working and safety rules by which my pilot group lives under. Now all I can say is, sorry guys, I tried.

An in-house union would have been nice if the company indicated it would take any sort of 'friendly' approach to it. They didn't. As Blue Dude said, what's next? I wouldn't vote for the IBT aka 'Dumstahs union'.

It's sad. Regardless of all ALPA's shortcomings, I am realizing today that right now I could have access to the best safety, medical, and legal representation a pilot could want if he gets his butt in a sling. Now I have only jetblue's jv legal squad. I could maybe contribute to a group that is responsible for the working and safety rules by which my pilot group lives under. Now all I can say is, sorry guys, I tried.

Is there a waiting period to try again? If the numbers are correct it wasn't that far off.

No, and I don't think ALPA is the only way to get a CBA .... Right ?
An ALPA CBA usually has holes in it large enough to walk through.

You have to have a solid item in which to have holes. Our current documents don't even meet that criterium.

I believe it's one year. I sure somebody here knows for sure.

A year goes by really fast and I'm sure your guys and gals will see the great potential for a future M/A and see the need for a union. Good luck. Remember, whatever CBA you have it may change in that M/A..TWA was ALPA and now the TWA pilots are not but at least they have something if another M/A happens to them...it might!

J.B. pilots will never go for an in house union. The cost associated with fee's, assesments and initial operating will never pass. I think the pilot group should have bought insurance, before the accident. Hope I am wrong but nothing good can come from two failed attempts.

Latest resources

Back