• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Between firm orders and options, SkyWest inc now has 600 new 75+ seat airplanes on the way. The Alaska pilots will get what they deserve from this contract vote. Don't get all butt-hurt when the SkyWest airplanes take a whole bunch of flying you currently do. The SkyWest pilots have no say in this. The Alaska pilots do. See you in line at Ivars!

So true.... Sad but true..

The Alaska pilots will get what they deserve from this contract vote.

Alaska doesn't have scope now. If we vote in this TA, we won't have scope. If we vote this TA down, we're in a fight for scope, but still don't have it.

If the majority of the pilots have the stomach for a knock-down, drag-out fight for scope, I believe it will be years before we have a new TA with scope in it. In that time, your RJ's with 'mos will show up. Either way the Alaska pilots lose. See how that works?

Status Quo works both ways. Even though scope is not restricted in our current contract, Alaska would have a potential legal problem introducing large RJ flying while we are in extended negotiations over that specific issue. It could be seen as punitive to pilots for not accepting the TA and would not be easy to do under our status quo status. We sign the TA however, and then there is absolutely no restriction on size and number of outsourced flying.

Last edited:
Status Quo works both ways. Even though scope is not restricted in our current contract, Alaska would have a potential legal problem introducing large RJ flying while we are in extended negotiations over that specific issue. It could be seen as punitive to pilots for not accepting the TA and would not be easy to do under our status quo status. We sign the TA however, and then there is absolutely no restriction on size and number of outsourced flying.

Exactly why we Vote No!!!!

I've got a sinking feeling that this steaming pile of dung will pass, and when more flying is farmed out and the other goodies are realized, a lot of folks will claim, "don't look at me, I didn't vote for it!"

Status Quo means the company cannot violate the amendable contract. Our contract doesn't contain any scope language. I doubt we could argue to the NMB that the company is violating the Status Quo when no contractual provisions exist.
Regards.

eskimopilot is absolutely right. If your current CBA doesn't contain scope protections against larger RJ outsourcing, then the status quo period does nothing for you in that area, and neither the NMB nor an arbitrator will side with you if you make that argument. Status quo only applies to what your CBA already says, not what you want it to say.

Latest resources

Back