• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the middle of a four day and here are some things I have heard in the crew room along with my commentary.

"scope clauses don't work, so why waste time negotiating for it."
-10 years ago very few airlines had strong scope clauses which allowed for the current state of our industry. Today they are a key part of any contract and we should be learning from the past at other airlines to strengthen our future. And if your opinion is anything written in section 1 is useless, why bother with sections 2-31?

"this is a slap in the face."
-and I felt it.

"the preamble to the contract was rewritten to protect our scope."
- no, if it were written to protect our scope then it would have been ten pages longer and placed in section 1 entitled scope. It would also avoid words like "should" and instead use words like "will" and "must"

"if the company needs to fly 100 seaters then that is a business decision. Not all routes can support a 737."
- I agree. If the company sees a need to fly 100 seat aircraft then they can purchase the planes and staff them with Alaska pilots. This TA allows them to outsource the flying which is unacceptable.

"I don't think our negotiating committee even knows what FOs at other airlines make."
-I agree, or if they do, they do not care.

"we need to get a new negotiating committee and dump the MEC if they approved this crap."
-If they are unwilling to fight for a good TA for every dues paying member and merely settle on what benefits them, then yes.

"It is hard to pass up another $25,000 a year."
-Not when you should be making an extra $35,000

"I think we deserve more, but I will probably vote yes."
-I don't understand why you accept being undervalued.

"I hope their is a '**** no' button to vote."
- second

"remember to factor in our profit sharing as another 5-8%"
-This is a bonus and fluctuates. We have another vague statement of "targets" 5% in our contract. Nothing is guaranteed.

"profit sharing does not count as we do not control the formula or the profits."
-I agree. We are hourly unionized employees operating under a CBA. We need to negotiate our CBA. Nowhere in our CBA does it talk about a minimum bonus, or spell out how it will be calculated, or any special accounting practices that cannot be factored in by the company. The PBP has been good to us, I hope that continues, but my pay rates can't factor in a bonus that may or may not be their in 2-3 years.

"eventually you wil be a captain and so you have to look at the top captain scale."
-for the next five years I will be an FO and this is a 5 year TA. So I am going to vote based on how this specifically affects me and my family.

As a senior FO who will take the upgrade in the next year I can tell you this is unacceptable. We have stagnated in our careers and are still living under Kasher imposed losses weather it is pay, QOL etc...

Look, unless you are a senior captain this is not a good contract. I can't think of a good reason for anyone hired post 1995 to vote yes. Take a look at what has happened at the other large airlines that have had weak scope. If we don't learn from them we have no one else to blame but ourselves. Evaluate this TA based on the 4 cornerstones and tell me if its an improvement.

If the union and the company are trying to "sell" us this deal, the "no" votes need to be polite and vocal in explaining our side. We can't just let someone make a comment that is selfish or untrue without challenging them and trying to explain our position. We must be engaged, as this is our future.

I'm not looking to see upgrade for a long time. Longer if we give all of these efficiencies. FO pay needs to be bigger.

Hotels needs to go from "first class" to 4- or 5-star.

Unless I hear some really creative interpretations, the scope language is a joke. Any Boeing order we have as of signing? Pfffft. That leaves open the door to just about anything. Now boarding, Alaska International with Dreamliner service to Tokyo!

The other airlines have had weak scope and look at what happened. Imagine what would have happened if there were NO scope. The scheduling section of our contract does not prevent them from violating the scheduling section of our contract...therefore we should have no scheduling section of our contract. Really? It's a wonder some of these guys can
Make it to work at all...and eat dinner in a public place without drueling all over themselves.

Don Carty (AA CEO) back in the day said in no uncertain terms that his vision for AMR was to have Eagle flying 100% of the domestic NB and have AA mainline flying only WB international. Too bad AA's scope got in the way.

I may have been more sympathetic to the argument 10 years ago, but the big 3 have started to put that horse back in the barn and the big 3 will be flying the 100 seat RJs when they come online.

Pathetic.

Pay is fine. SCOPE!!!

You almost made me puke. How do you figure it's okay to be the lowest paid 737 pilots in 5 years while we work for the most profitable company? Behind companies that were bankrupt just a few years ago. If someone young enough to be on the Internet feels like this...we are truly hosed.

Neither pay nor scope is near anything they need to be.

Last edited:
What prevents Alaska from contracting Delta or someone else from flying 10 shinny new wide bodies for Alaska. Nothing, and it would be more profitable then having to train, pilots/mechanics/fa's for a small fleet.....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You almost made me puke. How do you figure it's okay to be the lowest paid 737 pilots in 5 years while we work for the most profitable company? Behind companies that were bankrupt just a few years ago. If someone young enough to be on the Internet feels like this...we are truly hosed.

Neither pay nor scope is near anything they need to be.

I chose my words poorly. My intent is that I can live with the pay but scope is a must!

This isn't an Alaska Contract. It's a Skywest Contract.
Make no mistake. This gives away the store and they've got the planes all fired up and ready to go.

Latest resources

Back