Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure. It's only a bad deal for FO's. Now, lets agree that whatever happens, when they come out of the arbitrators office, we go to work, make money, have fun, not rip the place apart, but anyway, here is why:

The principle is one rooted in biology and living entities, you can only grow so large in your environment and as an entity reaches maturity, growth slows, so in our case, your upgrade progression slows exponentially. Reference why isn't AA or United so much bigger as time goes on? External environmental restrictions, they are as big as they can be in their environment.

As SWA or any airline grows internally/organically, everyone inside the sphere grows at a known rate. You upgrade at a known rate. Upgrade at SWA pure and simple means dollars, like anywhere else.

When growth occurs inorganically, such as a merger, even if you are placed into a position of relative equality to where you were before, your growth potential is slowed exponentially.

Example, your company merges and it doubles in size and now is 50% of the domestic market. Those other airlines are not going to sit and ponder their navel, they will react, lowering their costs, forcing you to tighten your belt further, leveling the field, seeking equalibrium, and slowing your future growth. Your company just got 100% bigger, who inside that company doubled thier seniority? No one.

So, say you were at 30% pre merger with 1000 pilots above you to upgrade, then after merger you are at 30% but have 2000 pilots to move to upgrade. Well, your company just grew 100%, but "your" growth inside that entity just doubled or more. Will the company continue to grow at 10% pre mereger? Not unles it kills the competition, which they won't allow as they are reacting to you for resources: passengers.

Instead of needing to through 1000 pilots at a 5% growth rate, you now need to go through 2000 pilots at 1-3% growth rate. upgrade time slides exponentially right.

This is why a relative deal is unfavorable for 100% of SWA FO's.

Who's achieved a higher percentage of "organic growth" these last 10 years, SWA, or AAI?

My guess is AAI.

Don't agree to something that could be worse than what you may get. Arbitrators will see that you are 2 companies that do the same things (both LCCs, both with mainly domestic flying (AT has some INTL) with planes no larger than 737s. Even though SWA is stronger, AT was not near BK. AT's Capt rates were good, just like SWA Capt rates, with the only main difference being the FO rates. Had AT's Capt rates been half of what SWA's was, then that is different, but the AT rates were pretty good. I have a feeling the ALPA people at AT are going to fight to get 1 for 1, and that is what they should do. Will the arbitrators agree? Probably not, but you have to FIGHT to get what you want, you just don't give in and give it all away, and I don't think the AT guys at ALPA will do that. That wouldn't be PRUDENT.

Regardless, I think ALL OF YOU ARE FANTASTICALLY SWELL, and I hope you have a great merger. Be nice to someone everyday. Maybe tomorrow you can push a kid gently on a bike down a quiet street. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Too much second hand smoke in Amsterdam General? Do some more pay rate research - 5 year F/O rate at SWA = 5 year Capt rate at AT. $50/hr pay raise for each seat for AT.

I say let it go to arbitration and see if pay, work rules and benefits matter when the fuzzy "career expectations" gets defined. This is not merger of relative equals like DL/NWA.

Your guess is that in a vacuum you would be correct. I also guess that SWA has been manuevering to remove AAI from the competitor list for five years, they have hoarded cash, and now strike the deal. End result, Swa is growing 20% today. How much is AAI growing today? It's all relative my friend.

The AirTran CEO made a statement in today's USA Today that might be of some benefit. He said,

"(AirTran had) done a lot with not much in terms of financial resources, but that it was becoming less clear that AirTran had the ability to grow and remain competitive in an industry where the size of a carrier's route network is increasingly important."​

Last edited:
Actually, SWA wants AAI gone more than it wants AAI. You buy up a competitor you have one less competitor. If AAI was in the financial position to buy SWA it would have not because it needed SWA but because it wants SWA gone.

Doesn't matter, in either case SWA needs this transaction. Oherwise why pursue it? Call the SLI the cost of doing business. Sorry, you don't get to buy someone elses career.

It won't be relative, it won't be a staple; when it's all said and done, I won't hold anamosity to anyone I fly with and will go with what it is. There really is no other choice...but until that time, I will try to remain objective and point out exactly where I'm coming from. I just wish Southwest were being bought by a company whose pilots made 40% more, had a great relationship with management, enjoyed going to work, and, by the way, I get to keep my relative seniority. Sign me up for that!

Well said. This is just day 2 and it'll been interesting to watch it unfold.

OK, this whole thing has gone south rather quickly, but I'm going to give you a little reality check in the form of a primer on Bond-McCaskill.

1st, there is no "self-help". What are you going to do as an F/O? Call in sick? Stand on the brakes so the CA can't taxi? WTFO? Wow, no kidding. That term was being used in a generic sense. Meaning the world is grey, not black and white like you are stating.

2nd, the General is absolutely correct in using the NWA/DAL merger/acquisition as a baseline for comparison. Why? Because that's what an arbitrator is going to do. In reality, it will probably be Frontier/Republic that will be the baseline for this arbitration.

You have two relatively healthy companies, one "acquires" the other, although they call it a merger (sound familiar?) and they have to integrate seniority lists. You can bet that an arbitrator will look VERY closely at how DAL/NWA was integrated to see how it applies to our scenario.

Hint: I know a little something about arbitrators using past precedent to make decisions.

No, that can't happen. I'll get to that in a sec.

On the contrary, from what I'm hearing, your SWAPA colleagues proposed something quite untenable for the AirTran pilots today. They are hard at work to represent your best interests, as are our representatives from the AirTran ALPA MEC. It's an opening position, and it's negotiations. Like you said before, it's business, not personal, although your vitriolic post makes me suspect it *IS* rather personal for you. By your "I'm all knowing and superior" tone, I can say the same about you. But, I will take it down a notch. It's easy to post when your ticked off. Doesn't change my position though.

July 2011. Yes, that's right, about 10 months from now. Why? That's easy.
Now that truly is funny! Its could take 6 months to iron out the transition agreement with the company. When we finally do start at SLI negotiations you think we will go from start, to completion of Arbitration in FOUR months. Now that is truly interesting. No, impossible.

You cannot force AirTran pilots to work on a B-scale indefinitely. I never said that. I said if QOL is all your truly worried about, a "B" scale solution can probably be worked out in everyones favor. I realize that will never happen, just calling BS on some of the posts written by Airtran guys. You really, really need to go read Bond-McCaskill before you post further on the subject. As a primer I promised earlier in my post, here's the meat and bones of it:

After a few months of negotiations and the parties hit a stalemate, EITHER ONE can go to the NMB and invoke their right to BINDING ARBITRATION. At that point, you have maybe a year,(All of the times keep adding up)I agree, I am trying to make a point that Airtran pilots cannot have it all, they have to give something up if they want any Southwest pilots to buy off on a SLI deal. and a binding arbitration decision gets passed down. I can guarantee you, based on previous decisions, an arbitrator isn't going to let you set up a B-scale for AirTran pilots.

The General was spot-on in his previous post: the AirTran pilots will start enjoying the benefits of the Southwest contract and you could wind up with a MUCH WORSE position in an SLI than negotiating it. I could not agree more. Your Airtran guys are the ones touting pay raise and relative seniority. Your a moderator, go back and read some of the posts on this subject.

None of us want that. We are happy that this is happening, most of us have a lot of friends over there that we are looking forward to working with again. We have been fair with other airlines when we were in the driver's seat, we simply ask that you extend us the same courtesy. That will happen, but you will have to be willing to give some as we give. All these things (pay, qol, schedule, work rules) that you are about to benefit from, we have worked hard to secure over the years. If you think it was easy to do, I ask why we are not taking your pay rates? Whether it's relative seniority or a slotted integration with pay protection and fences, I don't really care. I just want what the majority of AirTran pilots want: a good career with a good income with a stable company and don't hose me.
Hopefully both sides will be reasonable, I am just not counting on it.

Wrong. I'm a 10th year Captain, and that puts me in the middle of the 737 CA list. Our 2010 Contract is nearly TA'd, basically all sections except for the pay rates and retirement.

Under our 2001 Contract, I make about $6 more per hour than a SWA FO of the same longevity, however,

Under our current pay proposal, I would make about $27./hr more than a 10th year SWA FO, or about $30,000. more than I would as a SWA FO.

So, no, I would not be willing to take a $30K pay cut to downgrade to be a SWA FO, sorry. And why should I? I get decent schedules, have an easy commute, spend less than 1 night a month in ATL, and haven't worked a Thanksgiving or Christmas since I don't know when.

You clowns that are "negotiating" on this board on AirTran pilots' behalf need to have a nice big cup of STFU because you sure don't speak for me or the top half our seniority list . . . ie the Pilots who have put in a decade or more here.

I'll be happy to do the same job at SWA I do here, flying Captain on a 737, but it is not a big "windfall" for me, and I'm not willing to give up a whole lot, otherwise, I'd rather keep doing what I'm doing under a new AirTran contract, thank you.

I have 35 years left at SWA and I am a JR FO. Are you going to be a good captain? Relax brother it's all good.

As an outsider, I have a question I haven't seen. Everyone is talking about growth here/there, a/c deliveries, SLI, etc.

Does anyone think SWA is going to run a hub and spoke airline? Just wondering since that seems to go against their business model.

Latest resources

Back