Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA guys are really something else. Whenever it looks like somebody else may get to enter the club, without going through the process, they get real nasty. I'd be bitter too if I paid for my type, and somebody else got on without shelling out the cash!

SWA F/O's are going to take it in the shorts on this one. How junior or senior you are determines whether or not lube will be used. Why Gary decided to sh!t on his people like this I'll never know, but this is just one more disappointment in the colossal let down this career has become. So welcome aboard Tranny guys. I'll buy the first round and we'll try to figure out why we were all so stupid as to choose this as a career.

SWA F/O's are going to take it in the shorts on this one. How junior or senior you are determines whether or not lube will be used. Why Gary decided to sh!t on his people like this I'll never know, but this is just one more disappointment in the colossal let down this career has become. So welcome aboard Tranny guys. I'll buy the first round and we'll try to figure out why we were all so stupid as to choose this as a career.

On the contrary, I think the Airtran guys are feeling pretty smart right now about their decision to become a tranny!

T45 and Co..
Can someone from SWA explain to me why relative seniority is such a bad deal for you?
i mean.. do you really think that airtran is going to come in and get better then relative seniority and you are going to get worse? That means worst case you will be right where you are today, only with future growth.
I understand the upgrade times might be delayed.. but which side will now face a longer delay?
This is a lot different then buying (F9) a company in bankruptcy and shrinking and trying to preserve jobs. -I for one prefer the DAL/NWA model over the LCC/AW one.

wait, so AirTran pilots get every single win in the book, unreal pay raises, better benefits, better QOL with more domicile choices, and on and on while SWA pilots should accept relative seniority where a 6 year AirTran CA jumps ahead of a 10 year FO from SWA combined with the reality that significant growth will stagnate for years after a 25% overnight growth? yeah, we will see what an arbiter thinks about that.

This will definetly end up in court fast, especially if the majority of the SWA pilot group shares the veiws of T45, (I don't want someone making what I'm making infant attitude). When the ruling is handed down, I'm going to guess it'll look like this. Top 500 SWA pilots stay where they are, the a 3/1 ratio integration. Just a guess.

Unemployment isn't the alternative for AT, they are making money and growing. Gary took this oppurtunity while their stock is low to buy them vs grow internally"too much risk" AT guys what if you guys bought Virgin America? 5 year old company vs your 17 year old co. Would relative seniority be an easy pill to swallow?all their capt now capt with you, why? cause they were with someone else. Yeah that's fair. NOT

When Airtran was days from finalizing a takeover at Midwest, we were prepered to give them a 4/1 ratio. We had 1600 pilots and they had 400. Midwest was doing horribly financially and had zero growth. Regardless of what everyone on this boards opinions is, we were willing to give the Midwest pilots a fair integration despite their airline's weakness. I believe Airtran pilots should get a 7/2 ratio, which gives the SWA pilots a 5% advantage. Im at the 20% make on our list and I would hope to be approx 15% on a combined list. The 500 top SWA guys on top and the rest at a 3/1 ratio would work also.

General,

The NWA/DAL merger was never compared in my statement. I do know that there is more than one way to skin a cat. If one side of the negotiating table is unwilling to negotiate in good faith, then the other side has to do a little "self help".

I think we do have quite a big carrot to dangle in from of their face. Airtran pilots could be flying Southwest painted planes for a long time while they collect Airtran wages.

I know everyone likes to think the Southwest guys are going to roll over and take what we get. I disagree.

I do not dislike Airtran guys. This is business. We can shake hands and grab a cold one when this is over. My guess, July 2017. Any other guesses?

T45flyer,

RESPECTFULLY, I disagree. This really isn't up to you. During the F9 talks, Gary talked to you in public, almost allowing you guys to decide the fate of that merger. Well, this time Gary had to do it in secret, and it will result in a much bigger airline for you. But, things aren't always rosy. There will be some downfalls, and not everyone will be happy. There are plenty of FNWA pilots that are not happy with the SLI, and that is unfortunate, but that is arbitration. You don't want a B-Scale for the Airtran guys, and an A Scale for you guys, that would divide you immediately. Nope, you will want to get a common payrate, and find a good payrate on the 717s, and then you will open bases for bids, and the more senior guys will bid wherever they want. FDAL pilots didn't get a large raise at all, and the FNWA guys got a 30% payraise, and if they moved up from the DC9 in MEM to a 767 in ATL, they got an additional 20% for the larger equipment. Some guys did great, and some did not. I have a feeling the Airtran FOs will gain A LOT in pay, and may be able to bid out West if their seniority can hold it. If it makes you feel any better, you can bid out here to ATL and we can all go out someday and drink a tall frosty one! Why? Because you guys are now my BEST FRIENDS, and I can't wait to ask you guys what it is like flying into MAF.

Regardless, you all are FANTASTIC, and I hope you all do something great for someone today, like buy a USAToday for a elderly man sitting on a bench. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back