Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When Airtran was days from finalizing a takeover at Midwest, we were prepered to give them a 4/1 ratio. We had 1600 pilots and they had 400. Midwest was doing horribly financially and had zero growth. Regardless of what everyone on this boards opinions is, we were willing to give the Midwest pilots a fair integration despite their airline's weakness. I believe Airtran pilots should get a 7/2 ratio, which gives the SWA pilots a 5% advantage. Im at the 20% make on our list and I would hope to be approx 15% on a combined list. The 500 top SWA guys on top and the rest at a 3/1 ratio would work also.

Don't agree to something that could be worse than what you may get. Arbitrators will see that you are 2 companies that do the same things (both LCCs, both with mainly domestic flying (AT has some INTL) with planes no larger than 737s. Even though SWA is stronger, AT was not near BK. AT's Capt rates were good, just like SWA Capt rates, with the only main difference being the FO rates. Had AT's Capt rates been half of what SWA's was, then that is different, but the AT rates were pretty good. I have a feeling the ALPA people at AT are going to fight to get 1 for 1, and that is what they should do. Will the arbitrators agree? Probably not, but you have to FIGHT to get what you want, you just don't give in and give it all away, and I don't think the AT guys at ALPA will do that. That wouldn't be PRUDENT.

Regardless, I think ALL OF YOU ARE FANTASTICALLY SWELL, and I hope you have a great merger. Be nice to someone everyday. Maybe tomorrow you can push a kid gently on a bike down a quiet street. See ya!

Bye Bye--General Lee

It really shocks me that Airtran pilots believe that they will get up to a $70,000 a year pay raise and keep their relative seniority and not give up anything to the Southwest pilot group. Really?

Here is a thought. The Southwest pilot group sits on negotiations for the next, lets say, 7-8 years. We already are making nice money, plus a possible variable raise and a negotiated fixed raise coming in the next few years. We are doing fine, and Airtran pilots can give up over 500+K of lost income. That extra cash would be nice, but I'm sure the QOL is really what you want. You can be the North pilots, we will take South(west).

Now, maybe, you could be reasonable, and take the huge financial windfall and give up some seniority to get it. I doubt it. Just a thought.

I am sure glad that 4 out of 5 of our Negotiating Committee are First Officers.

My bet is a Arbitrator. But I wouldn't be fooled by your union into thinking this windfall will be easy, or fun. Might want to hold off on the high fives for a little while.

Have a wonderful day.

Don't you just love these guys! Yeah, that's some culture you guys have cultivated over there. SWA decided to initiate this transaction. The pilots of Airtran have no obligation to finance it. They are under no duress and the fact that your contract is superior entitles you to nothing.

I have a feeling the ALPA people at AT are going to fight to get 1 for 1, and that is what they should do. Will the arbitrators agree? Probably not, but you have to FIGHT to get what you want, you just don't give in and give it all away, and I don't think the AT guys at ALPA will do that. That wouldn't be PRUDENT.

General Lee and all my future Airtran friends, I could not AGREE MORE.

Congrats! You just made a Southwest's guys argument. Don't you feel dirty now? :)

BTW, Have a super-duper wonderful day!

Last edited:
SWA acquiring AT is no different than if SWA bought a regional airline. The 717 has fewer seats and the pilots are making way less money.

General...Your right!!! Fight for what you want and hope the staple is thick!!!

Last edited:
And the 737's were purchased at a price cheaper than any other airline, including SWA. Also the 717's were bought at dirt cheap prices since we were the launch customer.

Latest resources

Back