Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Convince me how relative is fair?

Gup

737 captain, meet 737 captain, you both brought the same to the party.

SWA is trying to buy AAI, because SWA needs AAI, you need AAI. Get over it. You are equal partners in your joint future.

Welcome to the party.

This is stupid and a waste of energy. The respective merger committees have just met....and we have these childish games and name calling going on....from...."professionals"?

Support your respective merger committee, let them do their jobs and we'll see what happens.

It will not be decided on FI.com....no ....really....it won't.

So you would make me an FO at the bottom of your list, but pay protect me at 275 g's a year? Hmm, you sure about that? BTW, we don't have 7 year captains anymore...but whatever. Good luck with that line of reasoning.

I was trying to refer to a brand new upgraded Capt whose company was just bought that has less longevity than a senior FO at the company whose doing the buying. What's fair then? A twenty year capt for a major should be entitled to something, but its going be what's negotiated. Now as far as pay protection, it would be for those who will make less from intergration. And why not pay your guarantee. It'll be cheaper for the company vs making you them a capt and letting you pick up above guarantee. Isn't that what happened with Morris.

The real winners-stock holders:)

Compare this industry to the real world. In a buyout hypothetically speaking lets say ( microsft buys apple ). Do you really think that all jobs would be preserved? Usually the aquiring company calls the shots. So why is it different for this industry. Your CEO ( airtran ) decided to sell your company. This crap happens everyday. The average JOE what he asks himself is ( will I lose my job? ) But Joe the pilot says ( dont F with my life and schedule and pay. ? ) come back to reality. Go ask any pilot on furlough and ask him where he would like to be right now. With a pay increase at a major airline that actually cares about their employees along with better schedules rigs etc. or sitting at the bottom of an RJ carrier with a REAL CRAP PAY AND SCHEDULE. Forget your superior forcasting abilities about how you r supposed to upgrade and how life is going to be so good once we sign our contract. Blah blah blah. I have heard this all to well at my previous carrier, who had also had in there contract a stipulation to Guarenteed number of aircraft ie 160. their contract is now flushed down the toilet and half the number of aircraft. IF A pilot group is set to gain X, then to be fair, you need to give B pilot group something of equal value to them. You cant expect to gain everything and give up nothing in return. Your smoking the wrong pipe.

NWA/DAL were close to same pilot longevity, age, etc. Therefore relative seniority did make sense. Here there are two growing(both still getting jets and cities) but one has been around 40 years and the other 17. If AA bought SWA, I would also feel SWA wasn't entitled to relative seniority since it would be lopsided a 7 years capt at SWA going in front of a 22 year AA FO-yeah that seems fair. Pay protection and job security yes. Seniority no.

The longevity argument FAILS. What matters is what you bring to the merger. SWA pilots MIGHT get some credit for a larger percentage of retirements in the near term, but that's about it.

As for the pay rate issues others talk about, AAI is in section 6, it's a guess as to what they might have achieved absent this merger, it might have been SWA+

My prediction: The merger committee that establishes credibility will drive the SLI result.

It won't be relative, it won't be a staple; when it's all said and done, I won't hold anamosity to anyone I fly with and will go with what it is. There really is no other choice...but until that time, I will try to remain objective and point out exactly where I'm coming from. I just wish Southwest were being bought by a company whose pilots made 40% more, had a great relationship with management, enjoyed going to work, and, by the way, I get to keep my relative seniority. Sign me up for that!

737 captain, meet 737 captain, you both brought the same to the party.

SWA is trying to buy AAI, because SWA needs AAI, you need AAI. Get over it. You are equal partners in your joint future.

Welcome to the party.

Actually, SWA wants AAI gone more than it wants AAI. You buy up a competitor you have one less competitor. If AAI was in the financial position to buy SWA it would have not because it needed SWA but because it wants SWA gone.

Compare this industry to the real world. In a buyout hypothetically speaking lets say ( microsft buys apple ). Do you really think that all jobs would be preserved? Usually the aquiring company calls the shots. So why is it different for this industry. Your CEO ( airtran ) decided to sell your company. This crap happens everyday. The average JOE what he asks himself is ( will I lose my job? ) But Joe the pilot says ( dont F with my life and schedule and pay. ? )
I guess Average Joe should have had the good sense and forethought to organize and protect himself with a CBA like Joe the Pilot did. :)

Latest resources

Back