Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Important web sight for those Air Tranny folks that want to merge with SWA pilots.

http://higherpoweraviation.com/

Should not be required. They were hired and AirTran did not require such a rating. Thus when SWA bought AirTran, they got the pilot group "as is" with or without type ratings.

Most likely you will see that SWA training will have to include a type ride as part of the Captain upgrade syllabus, which might increase SWA's need for a few extra FAA approved check airmen.

In addition, any attempt to force the AirTran pilots to get a type rating on the 737 at their own expense will defintely hurt any sort of unity that SWAPA says they want out of the pilot group. It would become Orange book vs Green book.

Just my opinion......

FNG

From the sidelines it sure looks like some of the SWA folks on here are doing their best to sink that "SWA culture" All this talk about staple, "we are better than you" etc will sink the place. Piedmont and USAir were two of the best airlines in the industry back in the 80's, until they merged that is. Absolutely amazing that there are SWA F/O's on here that seem to think they should be taking over some of the AirTran Captain positions.

Excellent point.

What too many in this industry forget is that "seniority" only exist becuase of CBAs, Contracts, or becuase the comany established it. There is no labor law/rule that creates senioirty. In addition, seniority in this industry is strickly based on your position among your peers, inside of your specific group. Thus seniority at SWA is based on different players than seniority at AirTran. That is why SLI is so important. "Mixing" these two groups using pay, DOH, etc is not a true for fair mixing. The pilots from both group have to be fully mixed to have a fair integration. There must be an equal blending of both group from #1 to #10,000 to be fair. Otherwise, someone is getting an undue advantage at the expense of the other group.

That is why a percentage integration, with relative seniority is the best and fairest method. Yes, you might have a 6 year AT guy equil to a 10 year SWA guy. However their percentages remain the same before and after. Their relative chance for upgrades and career expectation remain the same. Yes, the AT guys will see a big pay boost and improved work rules, but that is not, should not and cannot be used to push down one group over the other. Yes, AT gets a boost, but no one at SWA is pushed down. They remain level while you give a boost to your fellow/former Airtran pilots.

(remember DAL/NWA had some pretty large DOH type issue too, upwards of 10 years different becuase of the BK at DAL and the large number of senior pilots who took early retirement/lump sum and left, thus making DAL a much younger company. In this merger/SLI, basically a percentage SLI was used with some fences to protect the pilots. Most percentage of most pilots before and after the SLI had the same relative seniority (percentage), within a percent or so, and this was thru binding arbitration also)

Just my opinion......

FNG

That is why a percentage integration, with relative seniority is the best and fairest method. Yes, you might have a 6 year AT guy equil to a 10 year SWA guy. However their percentages remain the same before and after. Their relative chance for upgrades and career expectation remain the same. Yes, the AT guys will see a big pay boost and improved work rules, but that is not, should not and cannot be used to push down one group over the other. Yes, AT gets a boost, but no one at SWA is pushed down. They remain level while you give a boost to your fellow/former Airtran pilots.

That's funny right there!

Just my opinion...

never.jpg

Start thinking of a nickname for yourself when a PHX Cernel introduces himself as Hollywood. I go by "Flashlight." So, that's taken.

Hmmmm, I'm sure I have a few nicknames already, I just don't know what they are. ;) .

Maybe I could go by "Mag-lite" if that's still available, or "6 volt lantern" or just plain "6 volt". Definitely not "penlight" or "Mini-mag".

Hmmm, this integration thing is going to be more complicated than I thought :laugh:

Latest resources

Back